First UQ project...QUESTIONS!!

I am about to undertake my first underquilt project, and I have several questions. Please bear with me because I have so much to learn. I am going to use a synthetic type of insulation, and there are three I am interested in....
    -ClimaShield
    -Primaloft
    -Insultex
    Most of my hanging would be done in spring, summer, and fall, but I would like to get a few outings in some colder weather to get rid of some of the winter blues. I'm thinking upper 20s to around 30 would be the lowest temp I would need to prepare for. And even if this is a little cold for these materials, I would use a sleeping bag inside the hammock if need be for added warmth. So, my questions are, out of these 3, what would be the best option? I've also noticed with the Insultex, users patterns always seem to layer it in 2 to 3 sheets inside. Is the layering only with that material or do some also layer the Primaloft or Climashield?
    And what in the world does CLO mean????

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    have you considered down? being only twelve i'm definitly on a buget ..... so i went to my local goodwill and found a queen size down quilt for 5$. riped it open and salvaeged 3+ pounds of 800fp. then i bought 3 yards of 70d ripstop for 16$ am working on a 3/4 underquilt! will post pictures when fineshed.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Here is one, of several, threads specific to a Climashield UQ project.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45389

After much internal strife I finally decided on the Climashield over Down as I really just don't want to mess with baffles (order my material this week); I am considering this attempt a prototype to get a feel for insulation etc. If I absolutely love the way this turns out I may not venture further. I don't hike, but instead travel by motorcycle so I am most interested in getting things to compress.

Oh...in the link there is some info re: CLO, enough to make you dangerous.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images

Insultex

Although I am no expert, but have done a lot of reading, the Insultex HAS to be layered...well to get a decent CLO value and you have to be sure to have some gaps / air between each layer.

With climashield for example, you can double up your material (say 2 layers of 5 oz) to get a higher CLO rating...higher the rating the warmer the UQ. I have read of some folks mixing Climashield and Insultex in the same quilts.

Thanks Moto,
    That link you posted was very helpful. So do you or anyone else know how the compressibility of Primaloft is compared to Climashield? Which one is more compressible? I am either going to go with the 5 oz Climashield or 6 oz Primaloft as they will give me about the same CLO down to around 20 degrees.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I haven't worked with the others you mentioned, but I have with Climashield. About 6 years ago our troop made several quilts using 2 layers of 2.5 oz. XP and they all work great to this very day. This year's project was to make a bunch of under quilts using Climashield Apex. The container was marked 4.0 oz, but I had only found 2.5 oz and 5.0 oz on the websites I had researched. Most of the boys used one layer of the 4.o Apex and one layer of remnent 2.5 oz XP. The project was just completed this past weekend over winter break so field tests (and photos) won't be available until after 01/22.

Again, I haven't used the other materials so I can't speak to their effectiveness, but I love me some Climashield.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts