Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You are in the boat* with the rest of us.

*substitute boat with hammock

And swankfly is right... It's JUST camping
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I can empathize; I jumped into backpacking in general, the hammock thing, and now ultralight hammock backpacking starting in 2012...it's been fun but painfully expensive but it sure makes for a pleasurable experience in the woods!!

I'm doing it to spend time with my children...yup, that's the reason and they're worth every penny of it!!

Gideon

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Been there, done that. Lol. Ive been on here for probably an average of two hours + per day since I joined and I havent even read that far back unless old threads are resurrected.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    I havent even read that far back unless old threads are resurrected.
    That is just a shame.

There is some amazing discussion in some of those old threads. So many of the things we take for granted now, can be traced back to their "What if we...." moments right here on HF. You can watch them born, learn to walk, and become gold-medal athletes without ever leaving the site.

It's also fun to see what current veterans were thinking when they were newbs. I cringe every time I see a thread resurrection, for fear of what I'll discover I was saying back then. Downright embarrassing at times.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That is just a shame.

There is some amazing discussion in some of those old threads. So many of the things we take for granted now, can be traced back to their "What if we...." moments right here on HF. You can watch them born, learn to walk, and become gold-medal athletes without ever leaving the site.

It's also fun to see what current veterans were thinking when they were newbs. I cringe every time I see a thread resurrection, for fear of what I'll discover I was saying back then. Downright embarrassing at times.
    Yeah the ones that I have seen come up are really good, guess why I'll only be getting a couple of hours of sleep tonight , will be good to see what legends like yourself were saying in your early days.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    "Legend" is reserved for those that did the work.
    I just enjoyed the ride.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Yeah welcome! I know what your talking about. I've been lurking and jumping in to conversations sporadically for at least and year and a half and was planning to slowly accumulate the gear needed. I finally bought my hammock and my restraint got chucked (giggling maddly the whole way) into the fire. I also bought the pack, top quilt, under quilt, a collapsible stove for winter, suspension, winter tarp, heavy down jacket, ectra...
    It's addicting.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Fish mentioned about being in the boat with others, you know what BOAT stands for?

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    It took me forever to get into hanging. I can be a gram weenie and just abhor carrying a few extra ounces when backpacking. But, I finally went on a 3 day trip and thoroughly enjoyed the hang experience.

When I'm above treeline I'll be on the ground. When I'm staying in the timber I'll be looking down at the ground.

And yes, my wife calls me a gear junkie. I admit, it's my vice. But like I tell her, it's better for me to use my gear than it is to use women or drugs. She agrees.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Insulation
    down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nj4x4fever View Post
    I can't believe that I'm going to say this but, I read a great deal of articles on this here forum last night that I forgot to go to I am so exhausted this morning and I hope I don't fall asleep at work or any where's in between.

Oh don't tell me I am hooked already into this hang stuff.
    Since I joined I have already purchased my second hammock and I wasn't happy with the ASYM Tarp that comes with the HH Expedition I purchased the Hexagon style to boot.

I also found a video on The GrizzBeak and have bought two of them too. I went out the other day and picked up 2 mountain climbing biners. I also went and picked up My Blue Foam CCF Mat. Will the need to have stuff ever end It took me most of the morning to type this and I forgot to post it.

It's an amazing concept and it turned my camping on the ground for many years to an elevated perspective....... go figure! Anyone else get hooked so easily?

I know the feeling. A couple nights ago I was up all night on the forum as well. It's hard to put the laptop down when your learning new and interesting stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast