Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My apologies to Outdoor4less.... it is there. However if you search for "hammocks" it does not appear in the search results. I do not see the tarps, nor the ATHH however. What trips my trigger is that Outdoors4less.net was not a familiar reseller to the company. Tha suggests to me they aquire their stock on the less than first quality market. Again, let me repeat there is nothing inherently wrong with that in my view. Simply that the recourse is limited.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Rev, do your search for (hammock) only no "s"... I don't see the tarps either?
    http://www.outdoors4less.net/search....=&sprice=&pg=1
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Very interesting info Rev. It makes perfect sense but I never realized that type of thing happened. I thought that all names and logos would have to be removed before they could be sold by anyone other than the namesake company. In the future that might give me reason for pause if a deal seems a little too good. Thank you for the heads up.

fjl307,
    Sorry if my post seemed more of a lecture than it should have. Perhaps Rev is spot on and they have no intention of helping you. Why the company name change after so long as Travel Hammock? Were they bought out or was there a change of management? Isn't the owner a member here? I too bought from Outdoors4less. I purchased a TH UL. It was also way below msrp. I removed the end ropes and just gathered the ends as I was only trying to remove some weight from my hammock setup with lighter material. It worked fine that way but I just looked at the end stitching that formed the channel for the original rope to pass through and I don't believe that it would hold for very long if at all. It's a good thing I never tried it. If you cannot get them to repair or replace your hammock I would be happy to try and fix it for you free of charge. It might need a re-enforcement patch or some such but, from looking at the picture, I believe it can be repaired. I have had lots of experience installing zippers on HH's in the past. Just food for thought.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    If you cannot get them to repair or replace your hammock I would be happy to try and fix it for you free of charge.
    I tell you what...that's a HECK of a nice gesture on your part, T-BACK.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    T-Back... In theory the labels should be removed or damaged in some way. You are correct on that. But I have shopped at many a salvage place where that is not done.... I don't know if there are laws regarding that or not. If so they may not apply to all international transactions.

If the same zipper separation that happened to my skeeter beeter is what happened here, and there have been numerous other reports of that, it is a very easy thing to fix for an even less than competent DIY stitcher. I did not bother with returning my Skeeter Beeter because I did not want to be without it for the length of time it might take to send back. My daughter and I had planned a trip coming up. So my wife fixed it herself but even I could have done it. (This was before I got so deeply into the DIY stuff.)

Again... please understand I am not in any way suggesting outdoors4less.net did something they should not have done. I am sure it was a perfectly legal, ethical transaction all the way around. But yes... if there is a great deal of difference in price, then that difference needs to come from somewhere. I would suspect a salvage market origin, which is perfectly legitimate. I am also sure that Outdoors4less.net stands behind their own 14 day return policy. In other words, if you want to buy from them you can probably get a good deal. But the original manufacturers warranty may not be enforceable. Your recourse may be limited to the store policy.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 01-06-2009 at 09:43.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well, the hammock itself sounds like a flawed design based on the comments made here by folks who have one. My old Traveller UL is certainly out of the active hammock pile and has been for a while. The stitching at the channels are stretched bad enough that I can see daylight thru the holes without pulling the fabric. But, for what I paid ($20), I'm not bitchin.

Sorry about your experience with them, that's a shame.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Old tent fly
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    That however is immaterial to the issue of how to handle warranty issues. Please understand, I am not questioning the integrity or honesty of outdoors4less nor Travel Hammock/Grand Trunk nor the original poster. But the salvage market is burgeoning, particularly with the ease of setting up an e-store. One more case of buy from the best and get the best. Salvage markets are legitimate and for the most part honest. I do a lot of business with salvage buyers. But let's face it, the recourse is limited. And so it should be.
    I do see what your trying to say and I have understood this entire time how this could be a huge issue, especially in my case. Regardless, my hammock came brand new, with the hanging rope and the tags attached. Could it have been a salvage? Sure, but like I said, I highly doubt Outdoors4Less with their reputation would sell such a product without at least letting the customer know. If nothing else, manufacturers such as The Travel Hammock should state that they will only warranty products purchased from certain vendors and make a list of them on their website. When I looked into buying this hammock, I did check The Travel Hammock's site to see exactly what their warranty was.

Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    If the same zipper separation that happened to my skeeter beeter is what happened here, and there have been numerous other reports of that, it is a very easy thing to fix for an even less than competent DIY stitcher. I did not bother with returning my Skeeter Beeter because I did not want to be without it for the length of time it might take to send back.
    It's not the fact that I cannot repair it, I certainly can, it's the fact that yes, this model has experienced several cases of the zipper ripping. Kevin admitted to me that last summer there were about 40 cases and he handled them with repairs or replacements. The company also re-enforced the zipper on future models. I feel that the company should fix it or replace it themselves as per their warranty policy, and since nothing in their current policy states that I would have had to purchase it from them, then they should be almost legally obligated to do so. T-Back, thank you very much for your offer, if nothing falls through, I might be PM'ing you. As for the company, we all know they changed their name to Grand Trunk sometime around 3d or 4th quarter 2008, whether they bought someone else out or they were bought out is up in the air. It's a very good possibility that they are under new management and this new management doesn't seem to do the same quality or line of work as the previous did.

Like I stated before, not only was it the face that I bought it from an "unauthorized" seller, Kevin said that I had bought it for significantly below retail price. He said that it was illegal and he was planning on getting them shut down. There are quite a few online retailers selling Travel Hammock/Grand Trunk products for below MSRP.

And if there is an employee of Travel Hammock on here, he/she appears silent so far. I don't have anything against you, I just have a few things against the way a few select people at the company handled my issue. If the company makes things right, I will by all means consider this company for future purchases. I have experienced no other problems with my two hammocks other than the zipper issue. They are both very comfortable and I have probably avoided malaria and dengue countless times.
    Cheers!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The ATHH was the subject of an extensive field test by members of this forum. In fact I was one of the testers. The reviews of the field tests are compiled in the Grand Trunk sub-forum I believe.

If I understand correctly, the name change was to represent a shift in market positioning and the inclusion of goods beyond the typical hammock products. They recently acquired Trip to the Moon Hammocks according to a posting in the sub-forum.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The reviews of the field tests are compiled in the Grand Trunk sub-forum I believe.
    The review is here, with followup discussion here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Old tent fly
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    The ATHH was the subject of an extensive field test by members of this forum. In fact I was one of the testers. The reviews of the field tests are compiled in the Grand Trunk sub-forum I believe.

If I understand correctly, the name change was to represent a shift in market positioning and the inclusion of goods beyond the typical hammock products. They recently acquired Trip to the Moon Hammocks according to a posting in the sub-forum.
    Thanks for the information, and the links as well from angrysparrow. I'll see how this whole issue is handled. A company might make an outstanding product but if they have issues like the issues I am currently having with them then they do not deserve to pocket my hard earned money. I would hate to go through the same problems with an ATHH as I did with the Skeeter Beeter Pro, it's just my luck you know. I have noticed that Travel Hammock, I mean Grand Trunk sells a larger variety of products under the new name.
    Cheers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast