DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies

Feedback on the Hennesy Typhoon.....

Ok guys just got a Hennesy Typhoon and I wanted some feedback on it. Has it been a good trap, or any issues I should know about it. Or ways it can be set up. Any feedback good or bad would be appeciated. Btw this is my first true Hammocking tarp. Hope to get some good info.

George
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have one, I find it too confining, almost just too much. I finally learned how to hang my other gear so I do not get soaked. It took me a while to learn. I thought the typhoon would work well, for the blowing everywhich way rain, you know the stuff that blows up under your tarp or rainfly. I found the Typhoon, just too much, stuffy.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I have one and I think it is a good tarp. The weird center tie outs on the sides are a little awkward but the tarp its self is very well made and the line pockets and two sets of lines are awesome. If it is pitched high enough it has very good coverage and doesn't block too much view. I personally always have my asym stock tarp that came with the expedition so if weather is gonna be nice I just use that. I also have the doors for mine and let me tell you with a tight pitch and those doors closed you retain a lot more heat. Is it the best tarp you can buy, NO but it is a nice tarp and it absolutely get the job done.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I was thinking in the summer no doors and in porch mode, then for winter doors with tight pitch. I only found one vid on the tarp, wondering if there were other vids I'm missing?
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've only seen one vid on the Typhoon/Monsoon tarps. I don't think that they've been as popular as Hennessy might have hoped.

I gave some serious thought to getting one for my HHED, but then realized that they're considerably smaller than my HH Hex...so I paid to have some silnylon doors added to my hex instead.

They seem like decent tarps, but there's been a lot of similar feedback from others in the past who felt that they were too dark/claustrophobic.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I never thought of a tarp making you claustrophobic but I can see how might. Truly I have not had a problem with that. My first tarp was a Cabelas XPG Ultralight Wing. Not a bad tarp but I want more coverage plus a more appealing color. Can't wait to use the new tarp.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I never ever considered that I would feel too enclosed, it came as a surprise. I have other tarps that work better for me, and where I Hang. I had a learning curve, now I know how to keep dry, when I purchased the Typhoon, I was having problems keeping multi-directional wet outside of my hammock. I do not have that problem any longer.

That is the neat part of this web site, we have different needs, wants and experience. No one thing is the best for everyone and every situation. Maybe that is why so many of us aquire so much gear.

Too bad you can not test one out before you purchase it. I knew really quick that I did not like it at all. I read all the propaganda about it watched several video's before purchasing it. Then boom, to tight too dark, not enough air circulation, yuck, let me out. Ah, surprise, on never know's how they are going to feel about something until they are there.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    HurtHeart- So you said the tarp was too tight? Is this with the doors on? Plus did the color bother you?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I bought one for my wife for Christmas. She's always worried that she'll get wet using the standard Explorer tarp. I've had it set up on one of the hammocks in the basement. I quite like the look and coverage of it (my wife is very happy with it). I'll be testing it out tomorrow night for a winter hang to see how it covers for a full night hanging. It's been incredibly windy here lately, so it should get a good test.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I bought one for my wife for Christmas. She's always worried that she'll get wet using the standard Explorer tarp. I've had it set up on one of the hammocks in the basement. I quite like the look and coverage of it (my wife is very happy with it). I'll be testing it out tomorrow night for a winter hang to see how it covers for a full night hanging. It's been incredibly windy here lately, so it should get a good test.
    Can't wait to hear the final report on it......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast