Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cub Zip Winter Setup

2013-01-08_15-39-27_599.jpg

[attach]44392[/atttach]

I have my wife and I pretty much set up for winter, so I have been working on a setup for my 3 yr old daughter's HH Cub Zip.

For top insulation, I have the military modular sleep system in there and for bottom insulation, I have a 3/4 length thermarest pad between the gore-tex bivy and the outer sleeping bag as well as a reflective windshield shade between the hammock and the diy poncho liner I made yesterday.

When I put her in there she said, "I'm as snug as a bug as a rug!" I think she meant "in a rug!" By the way she was in there when I took the picture.

I wonder how low the temps can go before she reaches her comfort limit.

I was happy with the limited capital that went into her setup, as this new hobby of mine has gotten rather expensive! The Cub Zip was free with HH holiday sale (when I bought my wife's Expedition) The poncho liner was $20 shipped off ebay, the shock cord and s-biners were just a few bucks, the windshield shade was $2 from Goodwill, and we already had the sleep system ($60 shipped from amazon) and the thermarest ($25 off craigslist).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spartacus19; 01-09-2013 at 04:46.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Nice setup for your daughter. It is always nice to see families all enjoying the great outdoors together. (I may be a little jealous)

as far as the temp rating...theres only one way to find out. Get out there and hang with your family. Have fun and congrats on the fairly economical hammock setup for your little girl.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Snug as a bug!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Looks awesome... I nerd to get my daughter something like that, she has a full size table cloth hammock but no insulation... We shall see what kind of money I can wiggle out of the wife...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2&quot; airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Not gonna lie, that may be the most adorable thing ive seen in a long time.
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Very cute. Congrats on hanging together as a family. It is good to see families doing the same activities together.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

The smile on her face says it all, good job Dad.

I have a very similar set up for both my daughters, two scouts, ones a zip and the others a bottom entry. They "LOVE" their hammocks, and when it's time for Mahha they start bouncing off the walls in excitement. I have enough down for the four of us, it took a bit to get it all but it was worth every penny and there's no question that it will keep them warm.

I got a good bit of the quilts during the times vendors had big sales, which helped tremendously.
    Enlightened Equipment makes kid sized synthetic quilts and they are made extremely well and not too bad a price either http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/...ildrens-sizes/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

I cant get my three yr old out of a tent, if she is alone. She loves to sleep in my hammock with me. I think its a security thing, I have lots of wildlife around. We hear coyotes every night and I think she is scared to be alone outside a tent. Not that a tent would stop a predator, but she seems more relaxed wirh walls, no matter how flimsy.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the pics crankybear! I didn't know anything was commercially available for kids.

If the setup I have for her didn't work out, I was planning on spending the money for a 3/4 down uq.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

My two move around in their sleep a ridiculous amount when in their hammocks and we found that we had to tie the shockcord around the top of the hammocks and attached at the hammock tie outs so that the quilt stayed in place all night. When we didn't it would move all over the place and we would get woken up in the middle of the night as they got CBS.

While the extra steps to secure the partial (3/4) UQ's worked and for my two the 3/4 is almost a full length for them, I think that a true full length may be easier to secure and keep in place. Although I may try to add some Dutch Quilt hooks and hangers so that we don't have to jerryrig the UQ's.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast