I'm about to start making a couple hammock setups, and need some help wading through all my options for insulation. I am not considering down at this point, that will be a future project once I have more thread injector skills.

The first hammock, mine, will be a single layer DIY GE, and I'd be happy to get down to 40*, but I'll be mostly using it in the summer, to start. Weight isn't a big issue, but of course packed size is. I've decided against using a pad, but if a DL with a pad would be the better choice, tell me how easy it is (cause in my mind is seems like a squirm-fest to stay on it!)

The second hammock, for my daughter (7) will also be some DIY flavor. Here, weight and size are bigger issues, and I'd sacrifice some degrees to keep her pack lighter (or maybe I mean my pack lighter?)

We are both warm sleepers, so I worry sometimes about making the quilts too warm for mild summer nights. As a rookie I don't know if there are comfortable ways to get a, say, 40* quilt to work well at 65*. What insulations (in what weights) should I be considering to make this happen?