HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies

Help hanging the hammock!

Ok so i am trying to setup my hammock in my basement for some testing on different things with the underquilt. I noticed that when i have it hung up the way i do in the pic below the ridgline is EXTREMELY slack. My guess was this was because...

1. the short distance between the 2 hanging points
    2. the height/angle at which its hung.

From the pole to where i drilled into the ceiling board is about 13 feet apart. this is a WBBB so the actual hammock is about 10 feet long. So 2 questions...

1. is this bad. other then the net being in my face.
    2. would moving it further apart, for example drilling another hole in a board instead of the pole that is even further away like 15-16 feet apart help? Or is it because the hang point is so high?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
    ...the ridgline is EXTREMELY slack. My guess was this was because...

1. the short distance between the 2 hanging points
    2. the height/angle at which its hung.

It's the combination of distance + high hanging points creating too steap of a hang angle.

....So 2 questions...

1. is this bad. other then the net being in my face.

No...it just isn't like you will probably use it outside. Testing would be better done as it will ultimately be used.

2. would moving it further apart, for example drilling another hole in a board instead of the pole that is even further away like 15-16 feet apart help? Or is it because the hang point is so high?

Moving the hang points farther apart and/or lowing the hang points will correct the problem.
    Since it is common to have the foot end higher than the head end of a hammock a small change that will help (but may not be enough) is to have the head end on the pole and lower the attachment point ~12" or so while shortening the suspension.

A word of caution...make sure your hang points are "rock solid" as you really don't want to smack your head on a concrete floor (yes...I am paranoid about hanging over concrete).

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Are you using whoopies ? also is the one end attached to the 1x4 ?

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I have the same problem in my basement. It makes a flat lay near impossible. I like it for lounging but it's no good for testing because it isn't at all like it would be set up normally. To test I have to get outdoors and find some trees.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Ultimately, whatever you find comfortable is key. If you're trying out different things, though, it's certainly worth working to get that ridgeline more taut. I personally prefer my blackbird ridgeline to be firmly taut (but not guitar string tight).

A few thoughts:
    +1 on trying to get your feet end hung just a little bit higher. Not critical, but nice to do.

13' is more than enough room. I have a backyard stand that's less than 12' and it works fine.

I'd recommend using Dehoja's hang calculator. You can enter the distance between hang points (13' or whatever the exact measurement is), the ridgeline (100" in the case of the BB), etc. You can then determine how long the suspension straps should be set to for the perfect hang. The downside to this is that it will raise the hammock further off the ground with those high hang points. You'll either need to lower the hang points, move them further apart or just be okay with having to climb up a bit to get in.

Play around with the calculator and you'll get a feel for what the different measurements need to be as you change things like distances between hang points.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    Are you using whoopies ? also is the one end attached to the 1x4 ?
    Yup using whoopies. and the one end is attached to i guess a 1x4? i hate wood measurements lol. the whood piece is about 7.5" x 2.5" if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A word of caution...make sure your hang points are "rock solid" as you really don't want to smack your head on a concrete floor (yes...I am paranoid about hanging over concrete).
    yea i placed some light padding below me but i think its pretty solid, drilled a hole about 3 inch down from the ceiling on the wood, then hooked up my original hennesy hammock suspension rope through the hole with a bowline knot then used a 24KN climbing carabiner to the whoopie.

So after looking at this i remembered the hammock hang calculator it pretty much helped to to decide that wasnt going to work lol. So i moved the pole hang spot to the other side of the basement. It is now hooked the same as the other side but 15ft accross. unfortunately according to the calculator at a 15 ft distance using the height its hanging from i would have to have a seat heigh of 27" off the ground for a proper hang. which leaves my feet about 1.5 feet off the ground

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Ultimately, whatever you find comfortable is key. If you're trying out different things, though, it's certainly worth working to get that ridgeline more taut. I personally prefer my blackbird ridgeline to be firmly taut (but not guitar string tight).

A few thoughts:
    +1 on trying to get your feet end hung just a little bit higher. Not critical, but nice to do.

13' is more than enough room. I have a backyard stand that's less than 12' and it works fine.

I'd recommend using Dehoja's hang calculator. You can enter the distance between hang points (13' or whatever the exact measurement is), the ridgeline (100" in the case of the BB), etc. You can then determine how long the suspension straps should be set to for the perfect hang. The downside to this is that it will raise the hammock further off the ground with those high hang points. You'll either need to lower the hang points, move them further apart or just be okay with having to climb up a bit to get in.

Play around with the calculator and you'll get a feel for what the different measurements need to be as you change things like distances between hang points.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Hah i was just using that!

yea i think i will live with hanging a bit high, i mostly want it for testing out my quilt. Trying to get that thing to stay wrapped around me and not slip off in the middle of the night!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
    So after looking at this i remembered the hammock hang calculator it pretty much helped to to decide that wasnt going to work lol. So i moved the pole hang spot to the other side of the basement. It is now hooked the same as the other side but 15ft accross. unfortunately according to the calculator at a 15 ft distance using the height its hanging from i would have to have a seat heigh of 27" off the ground for a proper hang. which leaves my feet about 1.5 feet off the ground
    Yah, 15 feet is better when hanging it a bit higher like that.

Honestly, 1.5 feet of the ground is a bit low, but certainly doable, especially inside. You still have room for your UQ. I have some indoor stands and when I lay in them there's often only about 4 or 5 inches between me and the stand when I'm laying down.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    I believe to get the proper tension on the ridgeline you would need a step stool to get in the hammock because of how high your attachment points are. If you tighten up your suspension does the ridgeline have less slack ?

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Breyman- the 1.5 feet is how high my feet are dangling off the ground when it's hung "properly". The hammock is closer to 3 ft off the ground.

Mr. Tattoo- now that I hung it using the calculator the rush line is just right.

That calculator rocks!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast