Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Originally Posted by Caveman
    I knew you'd find some excuse to throw a couple of extra pounds in there.....It was killing you wasn't it?
    Dang you.

This evening I'm all excited that I cut an ounce and a half off my cookset, and bought a long sleeve sleep shirt on the way home b/c it looked like it was going to be lighter than the one I'm bringing.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Hung my Weenie in the house tonite for a practice run. I'm suprised something that small is that comfortable and has that much room to lay in. No leg pinch like in the Expedition, and I don 't think I'll need a pillow. Not so sure about that DIY UQ I bought last year, but we'll see in the morning. It worked OK with the Expedition and the Deep Jungle, but the Potomac always worked better with those so I never used it much with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Hung my Weenie in the house tonite for a practice run. I'm suprised something that small is that comfortable and has that much room to lay in. No leg pinch like in the Expedition, and I don 't think I'll need a pillow. Not so sure about that DIY UQ I bought last year, but we'll see in the morning. It worked OK with the Expedition and the Deep Jungle, but the Potomac always worked better with those so I never used it much with them.
    It's gonna be a Weenie hang...

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Hey Sarge,

We are good on this, right?

To:
    Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:05 AM
    Subject: U.S. Forest Service News Release; U.S. Forest Service to conduct controlled burns for forest health
    News
    Release
    U.S. Forest Service
    2221 North Raguet St.
    Lufkin, Texas 75904
    www.fs.usda.gov/texas
    Jan. 22, 2013
    ******************************* *************** ***********************************************
    For Immediate Release
    U.S. Forest Service to conduct
    controlled burns for forest health
    U.S. Forest Service fire personnel have begun controlled burns in the national forests and will continue the burns during the next few months.
    Despite recent rainfall, Texas is still recovering from its worst drought in more than 100 years and controlled burning dramatically reduces the chances of a wildfire spreading out of control.
    “We saw firsthand during the 2011 fire season the results of controlled burns. The devastating wildfires across Texas were less intense, quickly controlled, and resulted in less damage to timber and other natural resources on areas that were previously treated with a controlled burn,” said Fire Management Officer Chris Schenck.
    “Our primary concern is for the safety of the public,” Schenck said. “We want the public to know what we’re doing when we conduct burns on the national forests. These are controlled fires conducted by experienced, qualified firefighters who work as a team to ignite, monitor and ensure that the fire stays within the control lines.”
    The Forest Service conducts burning only when weather conditions are most favorable and are based on daily fire weather forecasts from the National Weather Service. Forest Service fire personnel take into account weather conditions and fire behavior before conducting a burn.
    “Folks may see a helicopter overhead, smoke columns rising and smoke settling in low-lying areas. Anytime there is a fire, there is going to be smoke,” he said. “There will be times when smoke will settle in low-lying areas especially during the late evenings and overnight hours.”
    Schenck recommends that those with respiratory problems close windows and ventilate their homes by using the air conditioning or heating system. Some may want to leave the area until the smoke clears. Anyone sensitive to smoke should contact their local National Forest District Office to provide information so they can be notified in advance of planned burns. If drivers encounter smoke on the road, they should reduce their speed and use low beam lights to become more visible to other traffic.
    Controlled burns benefit wildlife habitat by removing dead/dying material from the understory which improves the availability of forage and the quality of browse for wildlife. Reducing the underbrush improves foraging, brood, and nesting habitat for turkey, quail, deer and other wildlife species.
    “The bottom line is that controlled burns and resulting smoke is a short term inconvenience that results in a long term gain by benefitting wildlife, improving forest health, and protecting homes and property from destructive wildfires,” Schenck said.
    For questions about the controlled fire program or concerns please feel free to contact:
    Chris Schenck, Fire Management Officer at 936-639-8543 or
    Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, 936-897-1068
    Sabine National Forest, Milam, 409-625-1940
    Davy Crocket National Forest, Ratcliff, 936-655-2299
    Sam Houston National Forest, New Waverly, 936-344-6205
    Caddo/Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands, Decatur, 940-627-5475
    On the web: ** www.fs.usda.gov/texas
    *********************** http://www.firewise.org/
    http://www.goodfires.org/
    ###
    This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    Hey Sarge,

We are good on this, right?

To:
    Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:05 AM
    Subject: U.S. Forest Service News Release; U.S. Forest Service to conduct controlled burns for forest health
    News
    Release
    U.S. Forest Service
    2221 North Raguet St.
    Lufkin, Texas 75904
    www.fs.usda.gov/texas
    Jan. 22, 2013
    ******************************* *************** ***********************************************
    For Immediate Release
    U.S. Forest Service to conduct
    controlled burns for forest health
    U.S. Forest Service fire personnel have begun controlled burns in the national forests and will continue the burns during the next few months.
    Despite recent rainfall, Texas is still recovering from its worst drought in more than 100 years and controlled burning dramatically reduces the chances of a wildfire spreading out of control.
    “We saw firsthand during the 2011 fire season the results of controlled burns. The devastating wildfires across Texas were less intense, quickly controlled, and resulted in less damage to timber and other natural resources on areas that were previously treated with a controlled burn,” said Fire Management Officer Chris Schenck.
    “Our primary concern is for the safety of the public,” Schenck said. “We want the public to know what we’re doing when we conduct burns on the national forests. These are controlled fires conducted by experienced, qualified firefighters who work as a team to ignite, monitor and ensure that the fire stays within the control lines.”
    The Forest Service conducts burning only when weather conditions are most favorable and are based on daily fire weather forecasts from the National Weather Service. Forest Service fire personnel take into account weather conditions and fire behavior before conducting a burn.
    “Folks may see a helicopter overhead, smoke columns rising and smoke settling in low-lying areas. Anytime there is a fire, there is going to be smoke,” he said. “There will be times when smoke will settle in low-lying areas especially during the late evenings and overnight hours.”
    Schenck recommends that those with respiratory problems close windows and ventilate their homes by using the air conditioning or heating system. Some may want to leave the area until the smoke clears. Anyone sensitive to smoke should contact their local National Forest District Office to provide information so they can be notified in advance of planned burns. If drivers encounter smoke on the road, they should reduce their speed and use low beam lights to become more visible to other traffic.
    Controlled burns benefit wildlife habitat by removing dead/dying material from the understory which improves the availability of forage and the quality of browse for wildlife. Reducing the underbrush improves foraging, brood, and nesting habitat for turkey, quail, deer and other wildlife species.
    “The bottom line is that controlled burns and resulting smoke is a short term inconvenience that results in a long term gain by benefitting wildlife, improving forest health, and protecting homes and property from destructive wildfires,” Schenck said.
    For questions about the controlled fire program or concerns please feel free to contact:
    Chris Schenck, Fire Management Officer at 936-639-8543 or
    Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, 936-897-1068
    Sabine National Forest, Milam, 409-625-1940
    Davy Crocket National Forest, Ratcliff, 936-655-2299
    Sam Houston National Forest, New Waverly, 936-344-6205
    Caddo/Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands, Decatur, 940-627-5475
    On the web: ** www.fs.usda.gov/texas
    *********************** http://www.firewise.org/
    http://www.goodfires.org/
    ###
    This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    I beleive so. The last controlled burn mentioned on the Yahoo Group was on the Eastern end of the trail. The folks there know the date of our hang, and one of the members there is a Ranger, and he didn't mention anything. But just to make sure we're using belts and suspenders, I'll ask the question.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Here's the reply I got on the Yahoo Group:

The Forest Service has plans to burn some or all of section 1 outside of the
    defined Little Lake Creek Wilderness Area. We have seen the prep work around
    Trailheads 1,2, and 3.

If you look at this map:
    http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/01wilderness.pdf

All of the dark green is Wilderness, and will not be burned. Some or all of the
    light green south and west of FM 149 will be burned. We just don't know when.
    I'll call the number for the Forest Service given in the mail today and see if I can get better info.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm going to laugh if this thing gets shut down again. (not haha funny, but haha can you believe this)

If it falls through, I'm still going out and I have a good place lined up.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    One has to wonder if they would go ahead and start burning a forest with a dozen or more campers wandering around in it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    One has to wonder if they would go ahead and start burning a forest with a dozen or more campers wandering around in it.
    Especially RIGHT AFTER they open it back up to hiker/ campers from hunting season....
    "Oh Lord Jesus it's a fire! Ain't nobody got time fo that!!"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I have a call in to the HBIC (Head Bureuacrat In Charge) of burns, but he won't be in today.

All we know now is that Section 1 is scheduled for a burn. We just don't know when.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast