Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    If you're thinking of purchasing the SilTarp2 (by Integral Designs), it comes with a tube of special-purpose seam sealer for sil nylon.

[Edit: The instructions that came with the tarp made it clear that one should seal the seams.]

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 02-25-2013 at 08:29. Reason: Added sentence.
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    I just got a siltarp 3 and it came with sealer. Is that a hint that I need to seam seal a band new tarp.
    Are you asking? I am not familiar with the Siltarp, but quite a few tarps need the be seam sealed, and if it came with the sealer, I would say yes. The cottage companies that we deal with try to get you the best gear at the fastest time possible for the best prices. If they did the seam sealing, it would take longer, probably cost you more (for their time and labor, not so much the cost of the sealant), and imagine the amount of space required to hang every tarp they make and add sealant, wait for it to cure, before shipping. IMO, for the cottage guys, it's just easier to send out a tarp, and let the new owner seal it.

There are a few tarps on the market that do not require seam sealing, because of construction design...........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I never got around to sealing the seam on my SilTarp2. This weekend I was hanging under it and it rained all night... it wasn't a really heavy rain but it was significant and lasted almost eight hours. I was actually curious if the seam would leak so I reached out and checked it a few times. As far as I could tell no water made it through the seam and certainly not enough water to drip on me. I might go ahead and seal the seam at some point, probably only if sealing other gear, but I'm confident that I won't have any issues just leaving it un-sealed YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12