Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling

Help me make the jump

Okay all,
    I have been a hanger now for 3 years. My weapon of choice was a ENO DN with the Fly Tarp and Bug net. Don't get me wrong, it has served me very well and the decision to purchase this set was a little short notice for a Kayak Trip.

Since I have started making more and longer trips, I am looking for a setup that will provide me a little more room and also able to be deployed "on the ground" if needed. There has been time that I needed to stay on the water longer that I wanted to due to the fact I couldn't large enough trees to hang from.

I have read all the posts I could and have been eye balling the NX250. Seems like a rock solid unit and would be a good investment. But the cost keeps holding me back.... Maybe I just need some positive support to push me to the edge. I have been setting the $$ aside, so I'm almost there.

In a nut shell, this is how I use my gear. I take multiple over night kayak trips and at least one week long trip. I live in WI and have spent nights hanging as early as April and as late as Oct. I make all my trips in a Kayak and haul all my needed gear from start to finish. I feel I take good care of my gear, but want something that can take "being used".. Money is an issue, but it isn't, if that makes sense. In my mid 40's, I have learned, "You get what you pay for". So help me out and give me that little push I need to move forward and start enjoying what "seems" like a VERY NICE setup.

Thanks in advance,
    JP

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Have you considered Warbonnet? The Blackbird and Ridgerunner are pretty luxurious hammocks and cost less than the Clark.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Ok I just checked out the price of the Clark and you could get a Blackbird AND a Ridgerunner for the cost of a Clark.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    The Clark is a few ounces more weight than many others but as your portages are short relative to an all day hike, the extra weight shouldn't matter. Besides, with the storm sheild, the heavier bottom material, and the pockets (room for debate, here) you can probably go down to around 50 degrees or so without the need to carry any extra bottom insulation.
    As for durability, Clarks are built good, but because most hammocks seldom touch the ground, durability is probably not an issue with most any quality maker.
    Comfort is an individual thing. A Clark is a big investment and you wouldn't want to find out too late that it wasn't comfortable for you. But...good hammocks usually sell quickly here on the forum so that minimizes the risk somewhat.
    Yeah, they cost plenty. But if I had bought my Clark first I would have saved myself from buying a hammock that I will probably never use.
    I'm sure that you have studied the Clark website - I love my NX-250 for all the reasons and claims that are made there.
    One more thing - depending on how much time you want to commit to this decision - I read every single post on this forum that made any mention of Clark hammocks (I know, I need to get a life) - I felt I knew what I was getting into before I spent the money and I've had no buyers remorse.
    Got to add - I did find, and buy, a used NX-250 from a forum member so I didn't have to pay full price.

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Consider how much you love the outdoors and then consider every future trip you take hanging in a hammock that you have second thoughts about. The extra money won't seem like much then. Regardless of the money treat yourself to what you feel is the best and most comfortable hammock. You'll never regret it!

I have an ENO DN, BMBH and a Clark Flex 180 and I like them in that order (last the best) Absolutely love my Flex. Can't go wrong with a Clark. You jumping yet?
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

Hammock
    clark nx-150
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    i finally pulled the trigger a few months back..glad i did. when i got mine i was a very new member to the forum..i've learned tons since then, and i'll more than likely pick up a 2nd hammock for super hot days. eyeballin the snape, but i absolutly love this hammock. she's a beast man.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I'm also a kayak hammock-camper.

The Clarks are money well-spent. Period.

Weight isn't as big an issue, since the boat is hauling it (compared to long-distance backpacking). Luxury and durability is what you'll get with the Clark.

I have owned a North American model (camo), and now own a camo NX-250 model. The 250 is the only way to fly!

I'd get the 250 with Vertex tarp, or an aftermarket tarp in the 10X10 or 12X12 foot range. I personally don't care for Clark's standard and XL tarps.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Thanks for the input by all. I have a little more time until ICE out and hope to have the decision made by March....,

Thanks again

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had a Clark NX-250 and wish I still had it. I sold it and got the Vertex which I also love, but wish I had kept the NX-250. I will definitely keep the Vertex, but one day I may get another NX-250.
    "No whining in the woods"

I live in an NX250, literally. I sleep in it every night at home and take it with me when I go out. This thing is pretty bomb proof, very comfortable, and a true pleasure to use. Expensive? Sure. Worth it? Well, to me it sure is, and as I have said before, if something happened to it today, I would order another tomorrow. Oh yeah, I envy you the kayak trips, sounds great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast