Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Thanks Old4hats.. I really enjoy the time paddling but it is even nicer to paddle the next day after a great night sleep. I have be a camper all my life starting with tents then moved to a camper when we had kids and now prefer hanging. Two years ago the family traveled to PA to spend a week with friends. They had a two night camping trip planned. I took and sleep in my hammock instead of cramming everyone into their camper.

The sticker price is high but if money is spent for quality and care is given it should last. With all the Kayaking I have done I use to carry a cheap chair and while on a solo trip it busted on the second night. After that I purchased a Kermit chair which isn't cheap but well worth the money.
    As always thanks to all the members of this forum I may soon be an owner of a Clark .....
    Last edited by jpmason; 01-15-2013 at 15:38.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Concerning the cost, the clark is a decent deal, considering its a complete system,---by the time you buy a hammock, tarp, underquilt, sock etc from warbonnet or whatever, you will have spent about the same money or more as a clark. Ive never spent a night in a clark, or even ever seen one, but it looks like a good system to me! ( I just bought a warbonnet ridge runner ---excellent hammock so far, really comfortable! However, if the ridge runner didnt work out for me, the clark was next on my list!)
    Last edited by stevebo; 01-15-2013 at 10:32.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    As someone who's only ever owned Clark, it's very difficult to give you an unbiased opinion. I will say this though. I have a lot of friends that hang in different systems and I'm telling you there's no comparison! Clark, is hands down, the winner every time we stay out. As far as comfort and durability you just can't beat the Clark

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    When I first came here and asked about the Clarks I was told it wouldn't be a good fit because of my wide shoulders.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Another 2 cents. I'm also new to hanging, but have learned so much from the very friendly and helpful folks on this forum. I bought the 250 last May and went packing on Memorial Day weekend. Turned out to be more of a survival expedition because of the unexpected deep snow. But the hammock performed wonderfully.

The NX250 was my first "real" hammock (as opposed to the old nylon net hammock I used to take backpacking in the 70s). I researched online a lot and decided I just wanted one hammock to do most everything. I bought the Clark and am very happy with it.

My favorite thing about it is their "weather shield." It literally keeps the interior 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps in the winter. Much like a tent conserves some heat.

I wished I had ordered the Vertex tarp for more coverage. Right now I'm using a Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter tarp in my snow-filled back yard - really a nice setup.

I later purchase the Z-liner system. It's a brilliant idea but I kept getting a cold back at the seam locations between the pads. Clark tried some custom modifications for me, but I still wasn't happy. They graciously refunded my purchase. Now I'm using an UQ from Hammock Gear and couldn't be happier. Makes me feel foolish for trying to use sleeping pads for so long.

Anyhow, I hope that helps with your decision. Happy hunting!

Jim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Not a Clark-specific comment, but note that if you use your hammock as a ground bivvy, you're going to want to use a groundsheet regardless of maker. Unless the hammock has been made out of heavy-duty Cordura or something else similarly tough and abrasion resistant (and even then, I still might use a groundsheet), you'll want a sacrificial layer to take any small tears or abrasions caused by stuff on the ground.

Remember, that thin layer of fabric is what's keeping you in the air when you're not using it as a bivvy. It's under quite a bit of strain. Any small tears will quickly get bigger, "rip stop" fabric or no.

An old GI poncho works pretty well for this and is dual-use, since the things are pretty bombproof (the ones with the tan polyurethane coating on the inside) and meant to be used as an emergency bivvy.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    FLRider,
    Fully agree and always carry a ground cover, I like to have something some what clean to step on after a great nights sleep. Using the Clark on the ground is not something I plan to do, but I have been in areas where it was hard to find what we needed to hang multiple hammocks.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Well everyone, I have made the JUMP thanks to this forum and one of the members. The NX-250 is in route to me with hope of being in my hands by Friday.

I appreciate all the the input by all. I will be back to give you all an update once she arrives. I have already warned my wife, if the hammock arrives Friday, she will be sleeping alone for the next couple of nights. I will be hanging in the basement to get a feel for it.

A big shout out to pataneap

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmason View Post
    FLRider,
    Fully agree and always carry a ground cover, I like to have something some what clean to step on after a great nights sleep. Using the Clark on the ground is not something I plan to do, but I have been in areas where it was hard to find what we needed to hang multiple hammocks.
    Yeah...I use my poncho for a "front porch" most trips that I'm not using it as a semi-Garlington insulator or bottom cover to prevent sideways rain. It's worth its weight, for sure.

I hope that your transition to Clark's products goes well!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    When I first came here and asked about the Clarks I was told it wouldn't be a good fit because of my wide shoulders.
    Take a look at the Flex 180 - plenty of room for your shoulders!
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast