WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Thanks, hadn't seen that before. Cutting the taper AFTER pulling the bury through makes A LOT more sense than the instructions I've seen.
    Just to be clear...I cut the taper after making the locked brummel and before pulling any bury.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Excellent tutorial and pics. I'm now convinced of UCRs with the way the prusik works in this application.

Thanks, fallkniven.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    For the last couple of months I've been playing with the suspension on my UQ using UCR's in a Grizz/Leighlo sort of fashion. It was a fun experiment. Anyway on my UCR's I put a barrel Knot on the end where you have the prusik. I like the barrel knot b/c as you milk the bury your fingers hit the knot easily and "set" the UCR. I have not used this for my hammock suspension but I'm sure it would serve the same purpose.

The very short burys on my UQ suspension UCR's allows slippage if I miss the hammock the only hit the UQ. They are also self adjusting in that I can make them purposely too short and when I get in the hammock they slip to where they need to be and then stay put. Probably not a feature most folks are looking for in hammock suspension.

Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I think I'm going to go back to whoopies. Less fiddle factor and they have never dropped me. JuneBugDawn from here on the forums came up to look at my set up. While I was in the hammock, before I could tell her not to touch, she asked, "what are these knots for?" and touched the taught line hitch. That was just enough pressure to relieve the bury. I promptly found myself on the ground. Yeah, yeah, user error. 0.15oz is an acceptable weight penalty for the peace of mind.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I think I like my whoopies as well. But I actually had a chance to try my amsteel UCRs (mind you for a very short time) but I did get in and out and played with them a nary an issue. Found them quite easy and held me well. Next is dynaglide and long term for both.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Love UCR

I really dislike the Whoopie. It's leaves a long tail, it's a PIA to get loose, and the word 'Whoopie' has worn out its welcome.

The UCR, just sounds cool. Shorter tail, less weight, (an oz or two for gram weenie's) and I find them much easier to adjust and take down.

I've been using mine for about a week now. The temps at night have gotten down to 25°F here in Northern California. I tie the dog leash at the head of the hammock on the rope. My dog is the defender of the yard, and any sound is worth checking out. If a cat is seen, she'll bolt after it. So far, the UCR has held tight, and no slippage.

I might add, I weigh 262lbs. Hitting the ground at that weight could cause major damage to the small town I live in.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

UCR Tarp Ridgeline

I'm thinking about making a 2 foot UCR for my tarp. I would larks head it between my Zing It.

Right now, I have a CRL which makes adjusting the tarp over the hammock very easy. A 2" UCR would allow me to keep it light, yet be able to make fast adjustments.

Has anyone given this a shot? I've seen whoopies on guy lines to the stakes, and they seem to work fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I'm thinking about making a 2 foot UCR for my tarp. I would larks head it between my Zing It.

Right now, I have a CRL which makes adjusting the tarp over the hammock very easy. A 2" UCR would allow me to keep it light, yet be able to make fast adjustments.

Has anyone given this a shot? I've seen whoopies on guy lines to the stakes, and they seem to work fine.
    ...having constrictors attached to the tarp ends, allowing it to slide on the ridgeline? Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I use a UCR on my continuous RL for my tarp. Works great. I do my RL similar to what is shown HERE except where he has a tarp flyz I have a UCR with a biner.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly Guy!
    Insulation
    Pad/UQ Depending
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Ti's
    After reading this (fantastic) tutorial and actually giving locked brummels and constrictors ect a go over the last 24 hours, I was pleased to find it quite straight forwards.

I thought I would have a go at a UCR with some 1.5mm, 300Kg (allegedly) rated dyneema for practice while I wait for some dynaglide to arrive, and to see if the dyneema was actually up to the job!? I'm not 100% sure it will be strong enough, just purely theory.

Its just over 6 foot long, very small locked brummel one end to larks head around the hammock gather, 6" constrictor 2 feet up and 4 (or so) feet of adjustable line onto a 2" locked brummel to slip over one of Dutches Ti buckles.

I got over the loose end of the constrictor with a 1" section of heat shrink, being very, very careful with the heating process (air).

It was fun to make and a good trial run for future projects.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast