Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I found my BMBH UL too narrow in the shoulders. I can't figure out a way to escape the squeeze. I didn't feel that the one time I tried my RR. I'm hoping to get some more time in it this week before the Florida hang.

This thread made me think of something I hadn't though. I didn't contemplate maybe having issues with the UQ and the saddlebags.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

This thread made me think of something I hadn't though. I didn't contemplate maybe having issues with the UQ and the saddlebags.[/QUOTE]

The saddlebags just flop over the UQ's I have tried, (Phoneix & JarBridge) and I have not had any issues with it.. I will try my incubator tonight but it might be a issue since its wider than a normal Inc.

Images
    I was about to say Acer has extensively compared both, but he has already posted.

Keep in mind there is a noticeable dif in the "feel" of the two JRB BMBHs, the deluxe vs the UL.

Right now I have all 3. I have another thread going about what a miserable experience it was trying to get the WB to work on my Vario stand due to it's much greater suspension length than ALL my other hammocks, but that is a stand problem, not the hammock. Unless of course you must use a Vario stand most of the time, but that would be few people.

I'm going to say 95% of folks would have a better 1st experience with the WBRR. But do keep in mind that it requires a significantly longer distance between trees or uprights, and has significantly wider spreader bars which is going to require a bigger tarp or and under cover with the same size tarp for adequate coverage. Or, just use some tarp side pull outs, which I like to use anyway with the JRBs. But you are going to need them even more with the WB, because those spreader bars must be 8 or 10" wider. That's what gives all of the extra shoulder room( and there is a lot more). Just something to keep in mind. Spreader bars have drawbacks with tarps, and wider bars even more so.

Now you can't go by me, because I am just kind of weird apparently. I finally got my WBRR set up on my stand, hope to soon get it to the woods. I had to move my stand to the garage, because I had to adjust it so much longer that there was almost no room under the covered area of my porch, and it was pouring rain. But, once I did that, VERY nice, very comfy. Just like I love the WBBB shelf, I love the RR saddle bags. I doubt I will ever use the full length spreader bars on other than car camps or back yard use. Because I find more than adequate shoulder room for my 6'1" 215 lb self with the ~ 4" segment removed.

But then again, I am one of the very few who really does not mind the reduced shoulder room in the original JRB, and even less so the BMBH UL. But it is something that bothered me a lot at first, but it seems I just got used to it. Even on the deeper and more shoulder restriction original, which I suppose is pretty much like the current deluxe ( but maybe not ), I am fine with the shoulder situation. When I sleep on my back in my bed, I lay my arms across my abdomen or chest. This curves my shoulders forward in exactly the same position they are in in the original BMBH, and I do not find it at all uncomfortable. With my arms in that same position in the original BMBH, the hammock fabric is just barely in contact with my shoulders. It is not a "squeeze" like I get in a non-bridge hammock that is pulled too tight between the trees, it is simply "contact". No longer bothers me at all, and disappears entirely if I go even partly on my side.

And as Dman said, if you are a pad user, all shoulder and fetal position issues go away with a 25 or 26" wide inflatable pad in the pad pocket. I would say there is actually more room with this combo than all the others. But, few people use the pads, so for most it is a moot point. Def more knee room for fetal.

The BMBH UL version is significantly more shallow, and seems to me to have noticeably less of this shoulder curve, and a more wide open view. But for me, I have not yet decided that I prefer the feel of it more than the original. But they are different, no doubt.

Yesterday, I took down the WBRR ( keep in mind I was using it WITHOUT the full width bar at that time ) and went directly into my BMBH UL. It was a very brief comparison, so don't hold me to it, but I just didn't feel a whole lot of difference, or at least not a whole lot of over all superiority. Probably right now several folks are saying "He's out of his mind". But I didn't. Maybe I will later, and I would have felt more dif if I had the wide bar in the WB, as I sometimes did. And maybe I will see a lot more benefit with time ( I am brand new with this RR), and once I get hung up from some trees instead of this flexing stand. And keep in mind how I don't have a problem with the JRBs to start with. So if there is no problem, then maybe there is not much to improve? So maybe others who do have problems will more quickly see obvious improvements? ( see JaxHiker's problems in the shoulders even with the BMBH UL)

BTW, there is one person here who had been using the wide Neoair pad in the BMBH pad pocket. But he changed to a JRB MW3 and sold me the pad. He decided despite the much wider experience with the pad, he actually preferred the snug feeling of the more narrow approach, with the UQ wrapping around him and the TQ being funneled down into the narrow BMBH. So dif strokes for dif folks.

PS: if you are a stomach sleeper, you might do better with the WB. That extra width should give you enough room for your arms.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-13-2013 at 20:34.

BilliBob..

Ive been using both for awhile now and I pretty much share your sentiments. Comfort wise I can go either way, both are as comfortable as i have ever been n a hammock, slightly different feel to both but not a real winner. I do like the views out the RR but as I have a tarp over it most of the time that matters not. My biggest complaint on the RR is the increase in tree distance it requires. It has been amazing to me how much more difficult it is to find two trees slightly farther apart without a bunch of brush or other limbs between the two. For what ever reason its just alot easier to find two trees a couple feet closer together on just about every trip Ive taken with the two.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    BilliBob..

Ive been using both for awhile now and I pretty much share your sentiments.
    Really? I'm surprised, I figured I was going to be the odd man out on that opinion. Although, I have not had near enough time to come to a firm conclusion yet, but certainly no big dif was jumping out at me. The dif would have been more noticeable comparing to the original BMBH.

Do you have a UL or deluxe BMBH?

Comfort wise I can go either way, both are as comfortable as i have ever been n a hammock, slightly different feel to both but not a real winner. I do like the views out the RR but as I have a tarp over it most of the time that matters not.
    That is kind of how I feel. Most of my time in a hammock will be spent sleeping, and under a tarp. But I can see how the better view would be important for many folks.

My biggest complaint on the RR is the increase in tree distance it requires. It has been amazing to me how much more difficult it is to find two trees slightly farther apart without a bunch of brush or other limbs between the two. For what ever reason its just alot easier to find two trees a couple feet closer together on just about every trip Ive taken with the two.
    I have not even had mine in the woods yet. But I know what you mean from previous experience that it can be surprisingly hard to find trees far enough apart, even with the shorter hammocks, but not too far and not to big/small and no Poison Ivy! But not far enough apart seems surprisingly common!

Have you measured the distance between the suspension triangle ends yet? It's a lot longer than the JRBs. There may be some advantage to that length though. Maybe stability?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Really? I'm surprised, I figured I was going to be the odd man out on that opinion. Although, I have not had near enough time to come to a firm conclusion yet, but certainly no big dif was jumping out at me. The dif would have been more noticeable comparing to the original BMBH.

Do you have a UL or deluxe BMBH?

That is kind of how I feel. Most of my time in a hammock will be spent sleeping, and under a tarp. But I can see how the better view would be important for many folks.

I have not even had mine in the woods yet. But I know what you mean from previous experience that it can be surprisingly hard to find trees far enough apart, even with the shorter hammocks, but not too far and not to big/small and no Poison Ivy! But not far enough apart seems surprisingly common!

Have you measured the distance between the suspension triangle ends yet? It's a lot longer than the JRBs. There may be some advantage to that length though. Maybe stability?
    I have the BMBH Delux and (2) WBRR's- yes its time to decide which to keep and sell the others. Im going to play around some more with the Delux and a new Exed pad I got. Ive had 25 inch pads in there before- but this one is 26 inches wide and Id like to see what its like.

I have come to the conclusion that I dont like a pad in the RR. Its just too unstable with the higher center of gravity. However, the lynx UQ is very nice and comfortable and error free as far as UQ's go. So it may just come down to what I feel like about pads vs UQ's, which in the past I have always preferred a pad just for the "go to ground" possibilitys. However I also like the down UQ because they pack so nice- being able to fill the nooks and crannys left over in a pack.

We shall see.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Thanks again or all the really excellent information. I am sure glad I have guys like you to help make decisions.

Based on all of the comments, I decided to go with the RR (double layer). I ordered it yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive! I'll post pics once I receive it and get the chance to get outside.

I'm curious, can the bug netting be zipped out completely? That would be a nice feature for lightening the load on winter trips.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Thanks again or all the really excellent information. I am sure glad I have guys like you to help make decisions.

Based on all of the comments, I decided to go with the RR (double layer). I ordered it yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive! I'll post pics once I receive it and get the chance to get outside.

I'm curious, can the bug netting be zipped out completely? That would be a nice feature for lightening the load on winter trips.
    Bug net cannot be removed but can be unzipped on three sides and rolled completely down to one end. There are two tie-offs to secure it which is pretty handy.

Update on exped pad...

Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Ive recently added a lynx UQ to my RR and I must say that I prefer it over a pad with this hammock. If your still looking at pads and have the funds, check out the exped downmat UL 7 in larges. Its slightly wider than the large neoairs and that helps with keeping more of your arms,elbows warm. Im really digging mine for tent camping and the schnozzle blowup bag it comes with works very good. 3-4 bags full of air and its blown up and it can be used as a dry bag.

I have recently tried out my new Exped Downmat UL7 L/W with both a WBRR and a JRB BMBH Deluxe. For those of you on the fence about pads and specifically what types of pads to use my experience has been that the width wize baffles, such as those found on the Neo Air All Season are much more comfortable than the longitudinal baffles like those found on the Expeds.

The baffles spanning the width of the pad help to stretch it out and keep it formed in a flatter manner, whereas the lengthwise baffles end up curling up around you which I found irratating. I thought that the 26 inch wide exped would help compared to the 25 inch width of the Neo Air, but it turns out the baffling direction is the real difference maker.

However I much prefer the Exped for tent camping and have found it very comfortable in that regard.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I own both the RR and the BMBH UL. The RR wins on comfort but the BMBH UL wins on weight and ease of hanging. The RR needs a LOT of space between trees, and when I use it that presents more issues than I thought it would.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast