Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessy Hyperlite vs Eno Sub 7

I've owned my Hyperlite for just over five years now and I have no complaints, but last spring I was enticed by the Eno Sub 7. Having sipped the cool aid from the ultra-light cup, I was eager to shave a few ounces. The Sub 7 was touted as the "Industries Lightest Hammock" and although there are marginally lighter options available, I was able to get it on sale and couldn't resist. I also own an Eno Double Nest, which I use car camping, vacation, etc...and I am very happy with it, so I was excited to try out another ENO product.

To be honest I really wanted to love the Sub 7 and I had all but banished my Hyperlite to the storage bin. When it arrived I immediately replaced the suspension with a Dutch whoopie/clip/hook suspension and added a structural ridge line. All told, it weighed in at a mere 9.4 ounces and I was thrilled, because I'd managed to shave nearly a pound (15.1 oz) from my base weight.

Fast forward nine months and the bloom is slightly off the rose. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Sub 7, but it does have a few draw backs. First of all, it is a rather tight fit. I'm only 5'8" and I never felt like I would fall out, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard for someone to do just that. The material is also very thin, translucent actually, and although I was never concerned that it would fail, it was a cold hang. Even in the middle of summer, I had to use my weather shield to block the wind. Not a big deal, since my weather shield doubles as a poncho, but it's worth noting.

Then there was the issue of no bug net. I live in Southeast Virginia and going without a bug net was simply not an option for me. Trust me, I tried everything, from a head net to several failed DIY projects, but I finally settled on a BIAS Nano and that solved my bug issue, but...it also added weight.

Disappointed at the additional weight, I decided to conduct a complete inventory, in hopes of saving some weight somewhere. My current winter base weight is right at ten pounds, even lighter in warmer weather, so cutting weight wasn't going to be easy, unless I buckled and converted something from silnylon to cuben fiber. Nothing against cuben fiber, but I can't justify the cost. Anyway, during my inventory I discovered that my Hyperlite rig was only five ounces heavier than my Sub 7 setup.

(19.5 oz) Eno Sub 7 & Nano bug net*
    (24.5 oz) Hennessy Hyperlite w/Integrated bug net & 2QZQ Mod*

* Whoopie slings w/Dutch clip & hook suspension

So, this last weekend I broke out the Hyperlite for a little backyard hang. As soon as I crawled into the Hennessy, I knew that the Sub 7 wouldn't be making any future trips...at least not anytime soon. The lay in the Hyperlite was SOOOO much better than the Sub 7. Granted neither are as comfortable as my Double Nest, but there's no way I'm hump'in that beast. However, the Hyperlite lay was astonishingly better than the Sub 7 and I began to wonder why I ever bothered with the Sub 7 to begin with. I'm not suggesting that the Sub 7 is a terrible lay, but the Hennessy is just way better and all things being equal, it's well worth the extra five ounces.

..."it's well worth the extra five ounces." Ha, it just occurred to me how ridiculous that statement is.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Yup, I also really wanted to like it but find it restrictive to sleep in. Not that I can't find a comfy spot, but that there is only one way I can lay in it. Still great for lounging though

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Dream hammock....

Just out of curiosity, did the GT nano ever come into mind when pondering lightweight options? Or was it more of a spur-of-the-moment since the hammock you bought was indeed on sale?

I enjoy 'attempting' to research lightweight hammocks, and was just curious if you had maybe looked into the GT but found it not worth it or something...

Now further intrigued by the Hyperlite though, thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveler
    Images
    Thanks for the story. I have the Grandtrunk Ultralight and knew it would not be as comfortable as my WBBB or my ENO DN. I did end up buying a DD Hammocks Superlight. I am amazed at how light it is and it includes suspension unlike the Eno Sub 7. The DD is a bit more expensive though. I have been wondering if the lighter hammocks would be worth it and looks like they still have a long way to go before replacing my WBBB. I also like bugnets and I don't like using the ENO add on

• + New Posts