WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Watched it this weekend... The guys without self tensioners had his tent pegs pull out in high winds... I was set up in the same direction, same dirt, similar stakes, and my tarp with tensioners held fine all night...

I'm sold that it was the tensioners that saved it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Watched it this weekend... The guys without self tensioners had his tent pegs pull out in high winds... I was set up in the same direction, same dirt, similar stakes, and my tarp with tensioners held fine all night...

I'm sold that it was the tensioners that saved it...
    A while back I remember reading where in high wind a self tensioner turned a pulled out stake into a projectile that damaged the tarp.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    A while back I remember reading where in high wind a self tensioner turned a pulled out stake into a projectile that damaged the tarp.
    I see where they could get that... But if the wind was strong enough to pull the stake out, couldn't it have pulled it out and hurt the tarp without the shock cord being involved... I am not saying anyone has to follow my logic or idea, hang your own hang, but from what I saw it makes sense...

I do concede that the shock cord makes a sling shot out of the stake, but if the wind is blowing hard enough to rip the stake out, its going to be moving at a certain speed regardless of shock cords involvement...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

I use the figure nines made by nite eyez I think. I keep the nine on the tarp end so I dont have to come out from under my tarp to tighten them. I can get a tighter tarp without self tensioning lines, they dont get tight enough for me.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdogman View Post
    I use the figure nines made by nite eyez I think. I keep the nine on the tarp end so I dont have to come out from under my tarp to tighten them. I can get a tighter tarp without self tensioning lines, they dont get tight enough for me.
    If you run them where the zing it is backing it up you can get it just as tight... I have two eyes tied in my zingit, between the two eyes is a loop of shock cord, so even if the shock cord breaks the zingit is still there... Crank down on it as tight as you want, the zingit takes the load, when it rains the shock cord takes up the slack...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post

I do concede that the shock cord makes a sling shot out of the stake, but if the wind is blowing hard enough to rip the stake out, its going to be moving at a certain speed regardless of shock cords involvement...
    Can't remember the details and it was probably just a combination of all the right factors that made it happen. Just posting what I remember reading.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

The nite eyes things I was talking about look similar to dutch stingers or flyclips. Nite eyes makes both styles too. They sell a set of four stinger like things with eight feet of reflective tie out cord on each fir ten bucks. The bigger ones with the clip are three or fout bucks each, for the 50lb size. They also make larger ones with a 150lb load rating that work great securing my kayak on the car roof rack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Brandon personally recommended ditching the tensioners on my tarp when he saw 'em, stating that if you crank the tarp tight enough to begin with, despite some stretch, it'll still be tight in the morning; I witnessed this with his Cloudburst. Soon as I got home, I ditched the tensioners (as well as CRL with prussics) and, now, get a much tighter pitch than I could have hoped for before.

If the designer and manufacturer of the tarp recommends not having tensioners, then I'm not going to have tensioners.

This is for a Superfly, however, and I can't speak to how well this works with other tarps. The SF is built incredibly well and can be cranked down tighter than a guitar string without damage.

My $0.02.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Brandon personally recommended ditching the tensioners on my tarp when he saw 'em, stating that if you crank the tarp tight enough to begin with, despite some stretch, it'll still be tight in the morning; I witnessed this with his Cloudburst. Soon as I got home, I ditched the tensioners (as well as CRL with prussics) and, now, get a much tighter pitch than I could have hoped for before.

If the designer and manufacturer of the tarp recommends not having tensioners, then I'm not going to have tensioners.

This is for a Superfly, however, and I can't speak to how well this works with other tarps. The SF is built incredibly well and can be cranked down tighter than a guitar string without damage.

My $0.02.
    Thanks for posting this... I am glad to know his opinion. Simpler is better in my book anyway, so now I'm going to skip the tensioners. Good thing I still want shock cord on my doors or else that purchase would be a complete waste.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    I use a few of these. They also do double duty to attach my CCF pad to my pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast