DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Right now, I can't recall the name of the dog, but the book Blind Courage tells the story of a blind man and his guide dog who thru hiked back in the late 80's
    The dogs name was Orient

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
    I have an 88lb pitty.
    *all of the sad faces* i had a 35lbs rednose that i didn't get to bring with me when my x booted me. she slept next to me (when mommy allowed her to, she was jealous) and i miss the dog more than the woman. so much jealousy

I'm based in the UK, hence have fewer racoon / bear issues... but for shelter, I've fond an old but usefully shaped tarp from my ground-dwelling days works well - the Rab / Integral Designs Sil-Wing. It is expensive enough not to buy just for a dog, but in case you have a similar design around, I'll try to explain how I rig a simiple shetler by one of the tree I'm hanging from.

Essentially, it's sort of leaf shaped, with one "pointed" end that has an end tie-out, and one end that is concave (not sure if that is clear - basically it would be a flat end, if it wasn't for a cat-cut to the panel that instead leaves one short-end quite curved). You can take the concave end, and wrap a line from each of the two tie-outs around the tree trunk, and secure them, them tie down all the other side and end tie outs to make a shelter a bit like one half of a pyramid.

Phote might explain a bit better - not crystal clear, but it's from the dog's perspective, looking up....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO - ProFly XL
    I have a blue heeler that is going to starting going with me to the woods. She is too large to sleep with me in the hammock so I'm going for the blanket on the ground next to me option. Correct me if I'm wrong but I will still need to "connect" her harness to something so she doesn't bolt during the night, yes?
    Bryan

"My life can be described in one sentence -
    It didn't go as planned and that's ok"

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I always "leash" my pup between the two trees I hang from. I'm sure she would take off after raccoons, etc during the night, given the chance...
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Where can my dog sleep?

I am a hammock camper and I have been training my dog to go with me. He is a 55 pound pit bull and i'm wondering what would be a good way for him to sleep while I sleep.

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    it depends on the weather but i have friends who run a line between one tree their hammock is attached to and another tree around 20 feet away. then put a lead line on on the running line so your dog can go from your setup to further away to do his business if he need to. the lead line can be his leash with the running line strung through the loop on the leash. You should have something for him to lay on to keep him dry - a piece of tyvek will work. let him lay underneath your hammock and tarp so he does not get rained on.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Winter Palace!!
    Insulation
    Burrow20 TQ/ENO UQ
    Suspension
    BecketHitch + CL
    Lots of great info in this thread... Just finished reading it all.

Question about the rope used for the dog run (the ridgeline connecting 2 trees and a short lead attached to the dog)

I saw most people mention Amsteel which I'm sure is great. But do you think Zing It would also work? My dogs are smaller at 12 & 16lbs.

I ask because I just bought 180ft. spool of it and I don't have any Amsteel yet. I also like that at 1.75mm it takes up less space.

The stuff is rated at 400lbs but I don't know what that translates into regarding factors as dog pull strength etc.

Thanks so much!

In the past I've used some cheapo rope...seems to work okay for now, but was never a long-term solution.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russianmunkee View Post
    Lots of great info in this thread... Just finished reading it all.

Question about the rope used for the dog run (the ridgeline connecting 2 trees and a short lead attached to the dog)

I saw most people mention Amsteel which I'm sure is great. But do you think Zing It would also work? My dogs are smaller at 12 & 16lbs.

I ask because I just bought 180ft. spool of it and I don't have any Amsteel yet. I also like that at 1.75mm it takes up less space.

The stuff is rated at 400lbs but I don't know what that translates into regarding factors as dog pull strength etc.

Thanks so much!

In the past I've used some cheapo rope...seems to work okay for now, but was never a long-term solution.

I've used at as leash . I think it would work.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    image.jpgI bring a cut down foam pad or my crazy creek chair in cold weather but she sleeps wherever she wants. Usually right next to my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast