Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear snack View Post
    I made this pole-less tent that snuggles under the end of the hammock with a silnylon floor, noseeum netting, and a bit of ripstop. I stake out the 4 corners and attach it to the ridgeline with shock cord so that it flexes when my dog leans on the side. I throw a CCF pad on the ground (which folds into the spot where the sit-light pad is supposed to go in Gossamer Gear's Mariposa pack), and when it gets cold I put a DIY fleece sweater on my golden because he is useless about staying under a blanket, even when he's sincerely cold.

Attachment 125443

This set-up works for me for a few reasons. 1. My 100 lb Golden retriever was crate trained as a pup, and then learned to tent camp. He hates bugs and will beg to be let in to anything that looks remotely like a tent when he's tired but won't relax on a pad in the open. He's also dumb about being tied up and gets tangled around everything, so this lets him sleep off leash, but in a confined space. 2. I like being able to reach him in the night to pet him or hush him when he's growling at the leaves blowing through camp, or any other perceived intruders. I can pet him through the mesh since the shockcord flexes. 3. It's light and that's important to me.
    That looks like a great idea. My poodle mix is crate trained so this might work for him. Do you have some basic dimensions you could share?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Hammock Hiking with Dog--sleep arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    *all of the sad faces* i had a 35lbs rednose that i didn't get to bring with me when my x booted me. she slept next to me (when mommy allowed her to, she was jealous) and i miss the dog more than the woman. so much jealousy
    Man, sorry for your loss....the dog of course, not the woman. Pretty sure that God made man, God became bored with man, God made woman to torture man, God is eternally amused and entertained.

The relationship a guy has with his dog is truly amazing. We recently added a puppy to our family of three kids and an 80 pound golden. Got the pup to be my outdoor adventure companion, she's a West Highland White Terrier and will max out around 20 pounds or less (perfect for kayak, canoe, hiking, etc).

So last week when I returned home from a three day business trip....walked in the house and, wife greeted me with hardly a word, kids could not peel themselves away from "I" gadgets and barely grunted out a "hey dad" but my three month old, six pound puppy absolutely came unglued! Her reaction to seeing me was one of pure joy, happiest little thing you've ever seen. She did not leave my side for hours. I love all the humans in my house but have to say, sometimes I just prefer the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Beautiful GSD you have there.

Attachment 129976
    What bug net is that? Must have one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I had it custom made by John at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs (I have zero sewing skills). Came up with design a couple years ago but couldn't quite get the idea across. Fronkey came up with something similar and posted photos so I was able to send them to John showing him what I meant. Then I just sent him dimensions of my hammock, how high I liked to hang off the ground, basic length and width of the floor etc. I was overjoyed by his final product. His price for a completely custom design was a bit steep but it's been worth it in the end.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    I had it custom made by John at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs (I have zero sewing skills). Came up with design a couple years ago but couldn't quite get the idea across. Fronkey came up with something similar and posted photos so I was able to send them to John showing him what I meant. Then I just sent him dimensions of my hammock, how high I liked to hang off the ground, basic length and width of the floor etc. I was overjoyed by his final product. His price for a completely custom design was a bit steep but it's been worth it in the end.
    That looks like it works! Would you make any changes? I need to get that for my two pups!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snydman View Post
    That looks like it works! Would you make any changes? I need to get that for my two pups!
    It's practically perfect. If I where to have him make a second one I would probably see if he could do a very large u shaped door that rolled up to fasten at the top. I can tie back the t door wings for an open view but it's a bit more of a pain. So I'm really nit picking with that but otherwise it works like a dream.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    It's practically perfect. If I where to have him make a second one I would probably see if he could do a very large u shaped door that rolled up to fasten at the top. I can tie back the t door wings for an open view but it's a bit more of a pain. So I'm really nit picking with that but otherwise it works like a dream.
    Looks like Eagles Nest Outfitters has copied your idea. I like your idea better though for a larger opening for easy entry and exit.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcspin50 View Post
    Looks like Eagles Nest Outfitters has copied your idea. I like your idea better though for a larger opening for easy entry and exit.
    And mine is only about 18 oz compared to 44 oz. Far cheaper though

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    And mine is only about 18 oz compared to 44 oz. Far cheaper though
    I didn't look at the weight. Boy, that is a load compared to yours.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Hum, lots of interesting comments. I have a Bouveir des Flandres, I decided she should start sleeping under me instad of in her own tent. After two trips she has decided sleeping under the human is good, I get the extra warmth when it is cold, she gets the benefit of the Perethium my tent is coated with. I put down a Tyvek sheet also with Perethium on it. Keeps the ticks and other things off of her, she does kill mice if they bother her.

Dogs were momatic in the beginning, I see a lot o dogs traveling with permanent homeless people., so I would not worry about the distance you are traveling. Take a first aid kit for you and your K9, I always carry spray benadryl with me, it stops the itch quicker than tables and it is easier.

I always keep my dog tethered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast