switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    My dog sleeps well with me in a tent, but not so well under me in a hammock... I'm hoping when I get a Superfly he'll confuse that with a tent and be happy.
    i keep salsas blanket, which is actually a fleece blanket about 2'x3' sewn to a piece of tyvek, on her bed at home, that way when we hike , all i have to do is drop it where i want her and she knows where to go.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I have yet to come up with a solution.

I have an 88lb pitty. She loves to snuggle and loves being in the hammock with me. However I'm fidgity when I sleep and have accidently knocked her out of the hammock. I was hoping that as I get older I'd fidget less but so far no luck!

Its a drag I move so much in my sleep because she is a little hot water bottle and will sprawl lengthwise with me and more or less stay that way.

My issue with her sleeping under my hammock with pad and blanket is that the bugs can get at her, and she loves to be warm...her fav spot is snuggled next to me underneath our JRB Katahdin TQ!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    i keep salsas blanket, which is actually a fleece blanket about 2'x3' sewn to a piece of tyvek, on her bed at home, that way when we hike , all i have to do is drop it where i want her and she knows where to go.
    That's a really good idea; both the construction of the 'bed' and using it at home first. Thanks for that, I'm gonna try this for sure!

(I really wish we had a 'cheers' smiley here like other forums. )
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a similar problem to Bunk. I have no issues leaving the dogs to sleep on the ground, but from late May to early Aug, they'd weigh about 20lbs less in the morning due to loss of blood. We're going to try them in my little 3 man tent by themselves this year. The 120lb boxer/lab I'm not worried about. He spends all his time in the bush trying to get into tents or the vehicle where he can lie in comfort. My retriever seriously has to be with me. She may dig her way out of the tent.

My biggest worry whether in a tent or hanging is my Blue Heeler, Pearl is so territorial that I'm afraid that if a bear gets within scent or sight we may be in for more trouble than I want. And that even goes for my yard.
    Any concerns from any of you with that problem?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've come across hundreds of black bears in the bush here. My experience has always been that if there are dogs around, the bears give you a VERY wide berth. They seem to be very natural enemies, but I think most bears know that right behind the dogs are often people with guns.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Has any dog finished the AT?
    A few years back I meet a guy hiking the trail who was partially deaf so his dog was a service animal and was allowed through the smokies with his dog. I don't know if they went up katadin together though.

I know the saying is HYOH but when Im with my dog I hike my dogs hike. Me and Cranky Bear had to get off the trail one time cause my dog over heated it was just to hot for her to be out. So imho its totally doable with a dog but may present some challenges.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    heat is really an issue, my dog has a short coat, also was bred for hot climates, but still when she gets the really long tongue its time to stop, i also have a packable fleece lined rain coat that she carries in her pack, more for warmth after the hike than for the rain.
    as for bears, bears hate dogs, especially in the south where dogs are used for hunting bears, ive had several lost bear dogs in camp with me around burrells ford,nc

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I never worry about bears...again its primarily the bugs that are the problem...especially because prime canoe season in northern ontario/Quebec is May/June.

NWOHanger, I may end up doing that too. I was just hoping to avoid carrying an extra tent.

Another option I've been toying with (tried once in back yard) is oi have an EagleNests's hammock bug net...the variety that covers the entire hammock. It can be suspended on its own either next to my hammock or underneath it and so that the bottom of it is on the ground. Then I put a CCF pad within to give it shape and for dog to lay on, and put a blanket on top. This hammock bug net has a side zipper that the dog can enter by. I may try this again....

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Since we have the three young ones with us, we're always close to the car, so it's not a big issue at the moment. Once their old enough to go backbacking, I'm not positive what we'll do. Hopefully someone comes up with a bullet proof idea here. Keep us informed on the bug net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast