Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I have a red heeler and a kelpie (35 and 40 lbs). I used a 6ft long double layer of reflectex on the ground with a fleece sleeping bag on top. I open it up, get them to lay down on the bottom part, and then, once they are settled, partially cover them up with the top part. That worked pretty well until it got down to around 50 degrees. Then, I added a cheap 20 degree kid sleeping bag from WM. It got down to 40 and they were nice and cozy warm.

The problem with short haired dogs is that they will get cold faster than you do since they have a lot less body mass. So, they need more insulation than you do. Because of that, it's pretty difficult to carry enough insulation for them when you're hiking.

If I'm car camping, I don't take them if it's going to be colder than 40 degrees. If I'm hiking, I probably wouldn't take them unless I knew it wasn't going to drop below 60 at night or I was willing to carry that 20 degree kid sleeping bag for them.

One thing I recommend is doing some test overnighters to see what temperature your dogs are comfortable with at night. If they are curled up into a tight ball, even if they are not shivering, it's pretty uncomfortable for them. Be kind and make sure they are warm and comfortable when you camp.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Byer Traveler Lite
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    PLUQ extra stuffin
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings
    I have a 16lb smooth coated doxie, he loves to cuddle. I haven't seen anyone mention this so I thought I would - a simple trip to a good groomer is all that is needed to insure your dog doesn't tear up your hammock material. Ask if they dremel the nails, or grind them. It can be hard to find a groomer who is skilled at doing this, look for someone who works with show dogs. My favorite vet tech does my dogs nails, cuts them down short then grinds them off round without any pain to my dog for 3$ she has years of experience and does an excellent job! I didn't hesitate to pull my dog up into my hammock the first chance I got. Also I never worry about fleas or ticks because I keep my dog on a good flea/tick med usually Frontline Plus(and for good measure heartworm meds) some places we have been I can literally just wipe the dead ticks off my dogs body because they die so quickly after they get on him. I keep a shammy cloth to rub him down with every night(gets rid of the dead fur very well too it's part of our nightly beauty routine lol). Just my $.02
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 90 pound GSP that thinks she is a lap dog. I've started doing hiking with her and had a pack for another one of my dogs but it doesn't fit right. Any suggestion on packs. Just looking for her to carry her food and water.

DG

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Buddy uses the Ruffwear Approach pack. It fits well and the harness seems to be comfortable enough for the mileage we do. The Palisades pack is larger and may work better for you.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY w/Knotty mod
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY; UGQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    2ply, I see you are from GA...my wife is wanting a dog to hike with and we've been considering a Cocker Spaniel. How does Buddy do when hiking? Is he a rescue or from a kennel? He's a good-looking pup.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Second on the Ruffwear Approach. Can fit a lot of stuff in those pockets. I have a Vizsla and he destroyed his other pack in a half an hour of running around. The Approach has a much better fit as well.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootin2ool View Post
    2ply, I see you are from GA...my wife is wanting a dog to hike with and we've been considering a Cocker Spaniel. How does Buddy do when hiking? Is he a rescue or from a kennel? He's a good-looking pup.
    Thanks, Buddy is a Pound Rescue. He's had a lot of socializing around people and other animals and has a calm disposition. He loves our hiking and camping trips and minds well most of the time.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

We're going hiking next week with one of our dogs. She's quite small and only weighs a few pounds. This will be her first time though and she hasn't slept in a hammock before unlike with our other dog. I hope she'll be comfortable sleeping in the tent.

SawnieRobertson, first and foremost congrats on your desire to take your four legged friend with you. For myself, my 50lb border collie mix is right at home in the hammock with me. Now this has taken some training hangs at home and on the trail. This does mean taking into consideration the added weight of the dog when picking out your hammock and gear. The other big hurdle is the fact that there are certian sections of the AT that are not open to dogs. Don't let this dash your hopes and plans. With proper research you can find services to aid in your goal of a thru hike. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I own a lot of Ruffwear stuff and it's all top notch. Personally, I find their palisades pack to be my favorite style since I can remove the bags and leave the harness/base on my dog. It's nice for when we stop to take a break, need to go through water or take a swim, etc. With all the other pack styles I'd have to fumble with unhooking all the straps and take the whole rig off but with the palisades, I can just unclip a few clips and the packs come off like a set of saddle bags. The harness works well to hook a leash to or use the handle even with no pack mounted.

Sorry for the lousy pics but I had these laying around from when I'd first got the pack for my pup.

Last edited by BryanS; 12-05-2014 at 13:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast