DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by prismatic81 View Post
    Confession time...I have only camped a few times in OK. I'm not originally from here and never really had the ambition or want to camp alone. Most of my camping experience comes from Kodiak, Alaska and the Appalachians in New Jersey.

However now that I have someone in my life that enjoys the outdoors *almost* as much as I do....I can combine my love for camping with my ultimate passion for kayaking. My discovery of hammock camping has this quickly brewing into an obsession I can feel it.

Now, that being said, I can DEFINITELY tell you a great spot to camp although I've never actually camped there I have kayaked there many times. It is a place called Shell Lake. It is located just west of Sand Springs Oklahoma and is surrounded by miles of state land. It serves as a water supply lake for Tulsa and as such is very untouched by the general public. The lake is not large enough for recreational boating and is too large for avid fishermen in the area(although lots of catfish jugging does occur here). This often results in me having the whole lake to myself when kayaking its many beautiful shorelines (even in the summer!)

I kayak this lake in all seasons and I have also hiked the forests surrounding it as well...and...thinking back and learning about hammock camping as I have been I can only drool at the prospect of setting up in some cool spots!
    That sounds like an awesome place...I will Google it for sure.....thanks
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by prismatic81 View Post
    Okay I don't REALLY say y'all.....much... but definitely wanted to say a warm hello to all you avid hammock folks!

A friend of mine heard that I was planning a kayak/camping trip down the Illinois river in mid March and suggested I hammock camp rather than the traditional tent camping.

Like any curious indiviudal I said "hammock what??" Fast forward to him setting up his blackbird at Woodward Park and WHOA BOY how awesome is THAT!?!

I'm hooked and I haven't even gone yet! The excitement grows as I continue making my plans and I will be using these forums to beseech the wisdom of you fine members.

That being said, be ready to see a lot of me!
    Hello from Georgia

Grew up in Oklahoma. In the big town of Durant. What part of Tulsa are you in? I've got a friend of mine in Glenn Pool and an aunt in Bixby. Lord the stories I have about going down the Illinois when I was a kid. Not a fast river, but it can be a lot of fun.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Prismatic83, I live in Tulsa, and have been hammock camping since 2006. I usually use a hammock each month when I camp with our scout troop. I have been on the Illinois River many times. I work in downtown Tulsa.

If you need any help or advice, send me a note.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Hello from Georgia

Grew up in Oklahoma. In the big town of Durant. What part of Tulsa are you in? I've got a friend of mine in Glenn Pool and an aunt in Bixby. Lord the stories I have about going down the Illinois when I was a kid. Not a fast river, but it can be a lot of fun.
    I live off of Riverside drive in Tulsa. You will have to share one of those stories sometime Lupus, sounds like you have some good ones. I am excited about this trip I have planned in March because it's one of the "sweet spots" of kayaking the Illinois. The water level is high enough to not have to portage and it's off season so very few people on the water.

AG, very cool to meet a fellow Tulsan and in general I continue to be amazed at how many Oklahomans in general are here!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Welcome prismatic. I also live in Tulsa and just bought my first hammock on here two days ago for a backpacking trip I am planning in Hawaii this summer. I also live about 5 minutes from Turkey Mtn. and will be taking my new hammock out there to string it up and test it out as soon as it comes in. Good luck with your search.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Quote Originally Posted by c-had View Post
    Welcome prismatic. I also live in Tulsa and just bought my first hammock on here two days ago for a backpacking trip I am planning in Hawaii this summer. I also live about 5 minutes from Turkey Mtn. and will be taking my new hammock out there to string it up and test it out as soon as it comes in. Good luck with your search.
    thanks c-had. In all my time here now in Oklahoma I have never checked out Turkey Mountain, even though it is so close! I have decided on the Dangerbird and ordered today. The excitement is brewing I can't wait till I get it!

You are going to have a great time in Hawaii this summer! Take pics if you can so we can all be jealous.

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Sounds like we need to have a mini hang in Tulsa or out here on the farm.

Hammock
    DIY 8oz 30D Marpet Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 4 Season
    Insulation
    MSS & PLUQ & PLTQ
    Suspension
    DIY-Woopie Sling
    Norman OK here! Its about time more Okies posted. Just got back from Trappers in Kansas with my boys Scout troop. Hung the whole weekend, awsome weather for January. I've been DIY'n my own gear since I was a scout. Now my kids are makin there own.
    I sense an Annual Okie Hang, what do you all think.

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedediah300 View Post
    Norman OK here! Its about time more Okies posted. Just got back from Trappers in Kansas with my boys Scout troop. Hung the whole weekend, awsome weather for January. I've been DIY'n my own gear since I was a scout. Now my kids are makin there own.
    I sense an Annual Okie Hang, what do you all think.
    It was super hot this year at trappers. And a troop from kanassas took my favorite spot. Yep I do think we should put together an okie hang. Was thinking either bottom of mount Scott in Lawton. Or Zink ranch.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    an Okie hang is something I would like to see happen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast