Images

Hangin' loose or hangin' tight?

I have always, in my short hanging life, hung my HH as tight as I could. I'm starting to get the impression its not the way to go. How tight should the hammock be hung? One post said the ridge line should hang 45 degrees from the tree, is this all personal preference or is there a weight distribution/comfort reason for this? I've seen the graph of weight distribution, force upon tree, means nothing to me. How bout a little explanation on this. thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I hang loose. I have a modified Hennessy ULBA and a modified OES MacCat Deluxe tarp. What I do is probably in the minority of most hangers, but I'm happy with it. I hang my 12' long suspension straps loose so I get a good angle from the tree to the hammock. I do this because I have aluminum strap sliders that can move up and down the strap. These strap sliders have a hook on them to attach my tarp ridgelines. If I want to have max ventilation, I slide them up, down to hunker the tarp against the hammock. The tarp tensioners take up the slack and keep everything taunt. For me then, if I hung tight, I wouldn't get this adjustment capability.

Images
    the ridgeline will always be 90 horizontal (for the most part), the suspension on the other hand will end up 25-30 deg off horizontal once weighted weather you pull it perfectly horizontal to begin with or not. if you do (pull it all the way tight), as you weight the hammock and it drops to it's 25-30 deg that it will always drop to, the hammock itself will end up lowering quite a bit in the process, this is why you have to hang it so high to keep your butt off the ground. if you hang it 25 deg or so to begin with, it's already where it would otherwise end up, so it will drop alot less when you get in and it will put alot less force on your ridgeline.

just set it up so the rl is a good bit lower than your straps, or more specifically so your suspension is at about a 25 deg angle (the angle it's usually at when occupied). the benefits are: the hammock won't drop 2 feet when you get in, and you won't overload your rl. lay should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ankh View Post
    I have always, in my short hanging life, hung my HH as tight as I could. I'm starting to get the impression its not the way to go. How tight should the hammock be hung? One post said the ridge line should hang 45 degrees from the tree, is this all personal preference or is there a weight distribution/comfort reason for this? I've seen the graph of weight distribution, force upon tree, means nothing to me. How bout a little explanation on this. thanks
    Me too, I guess I need to try a looser hang.

• + New Posts