Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I like orange
    So do I ..... so do I....
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great report folks! Looks like a good time had in a cool place. I love the pics and the video.

I was on the other end of the state hanging in the piney woods, (haven't yet figured out this being in two places at once business), and had a great time as well.

Lost Maples is a place I've sampled, now it's on the list to dig in deeper.

Hammock
    WBRR DBL / GTSBP
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Strap / Woopie
    Been to Lost Maples a couple times...great place.
    Just don't plan a trip around busy holiday weekends or Spring Break unless you like crowds. Mid week ... you'll have the place all to yourself.
    "The longer I wait, the more I learn and the more $$ I save."
    "Por que la leche queste mas, que los huevos...."

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So sorry I missed it

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Well...the video wasn't really much of a report, so I'll go ahead and type something up here. (it's a bit long winded).....sorry

I got off of work Thur. and when I got home the wife said something to the effect of "why don't you just go out there tonight?" She was just joking, but the seed had been planted and it was on. I packed up and left the house at about 1830. I knew it was a 5 1/2 hour drive, so it was going to be pretty late when I got there. I had read on the website that there were no gates, so I figured I could get to a place to sleep (worse case, I could stealth somewhere). I'm not sure if you all are familiar with South Texas, but there are a crazy amount of deer all over the place. The speed limit is 70mph most of the way down there, but I didn't feel safe going any faster than 50mph. I pulled in the park at about 0030. I had no problem finding the parking lot at the trail head and there were no locked gates The first thing I noticed when I got out of the car were the stars. They were so bright, and there were so many I was in amazed. I had to take a few minutes to take it all in. Looking at the trail map, campsite C was the closest option, so I headed that way. I night hiked in about a mile and came to the site. I saw racoons and deer on the way down to the site. When I got there, I broused around looking for a nice set of trees and found some right on the water. I set up, but I left the tarp in the skins (did I mention how awesome the stars were) I crashed out quick.
    The next morning I was awakened by voices. It was about 0800 when I lazily lifted my head out of the hammock to see that about 150 yards away were some tent campers that I never even noticed while I was milling around looking for a place to hang my hammock (I had to have been 15 or 20 feet from them at some point.) After snoozing off and on for another hour or so, I packed up and headed back to the trail head to pay my dues and wait for Brute to show up. There is no cell signal, so I went ahead and took this opportunity to drive back out a mile or so to let the wife know I was alive and would not be chatting with her at bedtime In the meantime, Brute had messaged that he took off work a bit early and was heading my way. While waiting for him, I did a short hike and watched some birds. It was a nice morning.
    Brute showed up around 1230 and we did some more hiking. The trail to C is easy going and smooth. The trail from C to B.....not so much It's a pretty good ascent to the top of the "hill" (these are big hills)! The view from campsite B is amazing. You can see everything from up there. Absolutely beautiful. Some of the other guys were supposed to be there around 1400, so we headed back down to C and started setting up our hammocks. Texico and EastTex came into camp shortly after. We all said our hellos and began talking gear and setting up. The plan was to meet up with Yakfoot at a drive in site for time around the campfire and some dutch oven cobbler. We told stories, laughed, ate and looked at the stars. (The cobbler was awesome!) After we had all decided it was time to start winding down, we headed back to the campsite. We all night hiked in together and saw more racoons and even a fox on the way in. We stayed up under the light of the stars discussing all the secrets of the universe (as often happens on nights like these, in places like this)
    The next morning everything was wet. I don't think it rained, but there was so much moisture in the air that everything was just WET. We had breakfast and began to pack up. We were going to me Lobotrain at the trail head at 1130, so we headed that way. We waited for a bit, but after about noon, we decided that maybe he got delayed or had to bail, so we headed out on the hike that we had planned. We hiked the East loop. It's a nice hike. Again, most of the trail is pretty easy going, but there is quite a climb up the "Hill". After completing the East loop, it comes out at campsite C and there we found Lobotrain. Again, hellos were said and we all sat down for a bit of lunch. After some food, we decided to head out and do the West loop. We noticed that Lobotrain was loaded down like a pack mule, but I figured he knew what he was doing, so we were off. After the first "Hill" it was apparent that he in fact had no clue what he was getting himself into We made it in a few miles and thought it would be best (for health and safety reasons) to head back to C. Brute and Texico went on and finished the West loop while EastTex, Lobotrain, and I went back to C the way we had come (mostly downhill) We got back to camp and got set up.
    After Brute and Texico got to camp and set up, we headed back to Yakfoot (who had mentioned something of a large chunk of meat that he was preparing). When we got there, I ate some of the best brisket I've ever had (and I've lived in Texas most of my life). We had beans, brisket, fresh garnish, and another batch of an even tastier dutch cobbler. On top of that, Lobotrain's wife had fixed up some Adobo and potatoes were very tasty. I was so full I could hardly walk. My allergies were really giving me a hard time, and I wasn't feeling really well, so I left the group and hiked back to camp to hit the hammock pretty early. I never heard the rest of guys come into camp. I woke a few times because the wind was roaring through the vally that we were in. I had the ol' superfly tied out and I slept pretty well. It got down to about 28* and with wind, it was down right cold, but I didn't notice as long as I stayed in my downy goodness We all got up and started packing up pretty early. Most of the group skipped breakfast. I wanted to play with my stove, so I tried to boil some water for cocoa. I never got a boil, but I did get it warm enough that it was still pretty good. I had a hard time to get my alcohol to light. Next time I guess I should keep it in the hammock or something?
    We hiked out to the trail head together and said our goodbyes. I had a great time and got to meet some great people. Lost Maples is a very nice park.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Images
    Enjoyed the video, beautiful place.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    sweet vid and write up!!!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Very nice, Caveman. Wish I could have joined you guys.

When I grow up, I wanna be Caveman.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    When I grow up, I wanna be Caveman.
    It's kind of funny....You're not the first person that's said that! Life is short. Have fun!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast