MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

How do you layout and cut out your tarp?

This is how I layout and cut out mine. I would be interested in seeing how you do yours.

I am cutting out a four season tarp with doors using a template, sharpie, and a sharp pair of scissors.

This tarp is partially based on the designs found at DIY Gear Supply here http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/w...inter-Tarp.jpg // I used the spreadsheet found here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ve+spreadsheet to calculate the catenary curves. The curve calculator was required due to changes made in the tie-out point locations.

30 yards of seconds* sil-nylon from Noah Lamport http://www.noahlamport.com/
    When ordering from this vendor you need to be sure to ask them to take the fabric off the roll to save you some shipping cost.
    *(no noticeable flaws in this fabric or the coating)

The template is made from foam core board from the Dollar Store.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I like having the template idea. I've seen it floating around and since i tend to make duplicates for friends and family - it would come in real handy.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Templates, or patterns, as they're known to those of us who sew as opposed to those who use a 'thread injector' are invaluable.

Plotting cat cuts on paper as opposed to just cutting fabric can save a whole lot of fabric from being thrown in the 'find another use for it' bin!!

A couple of tips - you can use the other half of the 'cat cut' paper and measure up from the edge as opposed to making a full scale pattern - that's a lot of paper and tape used! Rolls of either brown kraft paper or heavy weight tissue paper are wonderful to have in the sewing room.

Old 35 Film cans with a few washers in them make great weights for holding things still.

Don't ever use your fabric scissors for cutting paper - it will dull them in a heartbeat.

If you're doing any amount of DIY projects, a rotary cutter and a board to use it on makes the work a whole lot easier than scissors.

One thing I'd do differently than OP did was where he continued cutting the first curve out to the edge of the fabric - no need to do that, you're ending up with small scraps of leftovers that will have fewer possible uses. Cut only on the cutting line and you end up with a larger piece of leftover fabric that is more likely to be made into something else.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Templates, or patterns, as they're known to those of us who sew as opposed to those who use a 'thread injector' are invaluable.

A couple of tips - you can use the other half of the 'cat cut' paper and measure up from the edge as opposed to making a full scale pattern - that's a lot of paper and tape used! Rolls of either brown kraft paper or heavy weight tissue paper are wonderful to have in the sewing room.

Old 35 Film cans with a few washers in them make great weights for holding things still.
    I prefer a heavier paper for plotting my patterns on, something like a heavy news print, but where do you get your paper at? I can't seem to find any rolls of paper in my area.

Love the idea about the 35mm film canisters. My wife has a ton of those lying around. I'll just need to snag a few and pick up some washers from either Lowes or Home Depot.

To. OP, what did you make your pattern from? It looks like it may be poster board but I'm not sure.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    I prefer a heavier paper for plotting my patterns on, something like a heavy news print, but where do you get your paper at? I can't seem to find any rolls of paper in my area.
    Ha, I've had my rolls of paper for well over a decade. It's one of those once in lifetime purchase things. I had to pull them out of the corner to figure out what I had...

The one roll is 30" wide brown craft paper - I think it came from a big box office supply store - try the shipping supplies section. It's the type of paper you'd use for wrapping stuff for shipping.

I use it for times when I'm going to have to play around with the design - I can erase and re-do lines on it to my hearts content.

The other roll is a white lightweight paper - it's heavier than the lightweight tissue paper for gift giving but still light. I just googled 'rolls of paper' and it looks like something I found that's called 'tracing paper' - 8 lb weight sounds about right. Once again one of the big box office supply places may have it or you may have to try a specialty place

I use it for finished patterns because it's light enough to see fabric patterns through and folds up nicely for storage. I also use it for altering commercial patterns when I have to add inches to something.

I'd go with the brown craft paper for things like cat cuts that you're going to want to use more than once.

Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    Thats very impressive. I usually just measure and tape it/ fold it over, but you've created a convert... now to order another roll of silnylon

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    You don't have to buy washers... Filling the film canisters with sand should be enough weight... And sand is free
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the video chickenwing. It will come in handy shortly.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    any reason why you are adding grosgrain?
    thanks and your vids are always helpful

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks every body for the comments. Love to hear all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I like having the template idea. I've seen it floating around and since i tend to make duplicates for friends and family - it would come in real handy.
    That is exactly why I made this template. I had several to make for friends and friends-of-friends and family. I didn't want to recreate the wheel every time. This just sorta made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Thats very impressive. I usually just measure and tape it/ fold it over, but you've created a convert... now to order another roll of silnylon
    Before too long and I'll be preaching to the choir. Be sure to post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Thanks for the video chickenwing. It will come in handy shortly.
    Great!!! Thanks for watching and don't forget to post pictures of your project. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
    any reason why you are adding grosgrain?
    thanks and your vids are always helpful
    Thanks! I use the grosgrain because I found it to be easier than putting a rolled hem on the sil-nylon. I don't like to use pins when doing my rolled hems and the sil is SO hard to keep from slipping when hemming. I guess what I am saying is that I am lazy

Plotting cat cuts on paper as opposed to just cutting fabric can save a whole lot of fabric from being thrown in the 'find another use for it' bin!!

I like the idea of using paper to keep from taking up so much space in my garage. How do you find the paper for transferring the template/pattern (meaning - do you have to be careful when tracing the outline)? I used the foam core to keep from moving the paper, marking under the edge, etc. I wanted to make sure I didn't mar the fabric with marker or miss mark whatever.

Great tip on how to weight down the fabric but...

what is this "Film" thing you speak of???

If you're doing any amount of DIY projects, a rotary cutter and a board to use it on makes the work a whole lot easier than scissors.
    I love my rotary cutter and cutting mat. Got them for Christmas from my mother-in-law after I borrowed hers. Guess she didn't want me abusing hers any more
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast