Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post

I like the idea of using paper to keep from taking up so much space in my garage. How do you find the paper for transferring the template/pattern (meaning - do you have to be careful when tracing the outline)? I used the foam core to keep from moving the paper, marking under the edge, etc. I wanted to make sure I didn't mar the fabric with marker or miss mark whatever.
With a cutting mat you're not lifting the fabric and pattern off the hard surface (table/floor) like you are with scissors so it's easier. If it's anything but waterproof fabric then I pin the pattern to the fabric. If it's something that I don't want to touch with a pin then lots of weights.

If you're doing very exact work then cutting on the edge of the pattern is more accurate than drawing a line from the edge of the pattern onto the fabric and then cutting that way.

Great tip on how to weight down the fabric but...

what is this "Film" thing you speak of???
Actually, go to any Wallyworld photo lab and ask - they'll likely give you a shopping bag of them

I love my rotary cutter and cutting mat. Got them for Christmas from my mother-in-law after I borrowed hers. Guess she didn't want me abusing hers any more
Haha, I'm sure she gave you the rotary cutter and mat so you wouldn't abuse hers again.

Too many abuse the cutter by running it into metal rulers and other hard objects. I use nothing but plastic quilting rulers for holding cutting lines!
Even then, I own a sharpener for the cutter and have a 'collection' of ones with nicks in them.