HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images

What initially brought everyone to hiking/camping/hanging?

For me it was a pretty backwards process of becoming a hammocker. Late last year with everything going on in my life I knew I wanted solitude and a challenge. Being the extremist I can be sometimes my first idea was 30 days of wilderness, no trails towns or resupply's. This was ALMOST too scary for me so half of me wanted to find a better idea. With the beautiful synchronicity of life a better idea fell into my lap. A random customer at work suggested I thru-hike the AT and at that point in time I knew nothing of it. So the research began, the excitement grew and it was clear, I had to do this. Not missing my sisters wedding on may 18th I planned the hike for late may. Among looking for gear I found these forums and the great bunch of knowledge and opinions here lead me straight to my first hammock. And the rest is history, I plan on hiking and hanging lots and lots prior to my thru!

I just wanted to create an open topic so I may also enjoy the memories you guys have created
    So let's hear it!

Please share your stories!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your story B.
    Time with my kids (in particular my two sons) has brought me to the trail. My boys are like any others and they would rather play xbox all day if I let them. Luckily we all are in scouts and enjoy being in the outdoors. I decided it would be good for us to have extended periods of time out in nature on the trail alone without all the distractions of our daily hectic lives. This adventure has taken many twists and turns, and looking back it's been amazing. We all now really share a really cool hobbie, and my boys even have some friends who've jumped into the mix and come along to have fun with us. My oldest, 16, and I spent last spring break on the AT for 5 days straight. I wouldn't trade those 5 days for anything in this world. We're constantly looking for our next big adventure.

For us, using hammocks has added a really cool dimension to backpacking. We tent camp often with our scout troop; so using hammocks on the trail is always something we look forward to. It's a fun, light-weight, and extremely comfortable alternative.

Thanks for asking... God Bless!!!
    biggameken
    Youtube Channel thebiggameken
    Hike Your Own Hike
    Troop 234 Scoutmaster Be Prepared

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    That's truly awesome! Nature sure does have a peculiar effect on ones ability to remove ourselves from our hectic lives and obligations.

Cheers to the nature man and many more years on-trail!

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Family was the start for me. As a kid we would camp with the entire family during the summer, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, second cousins. We would rent out entire campgrounds and have a big ol week long reunion. During these parties we would often go on one night trips down a trail, or down a river. As time has past these get togethers have gotten smaller and smaller. In the recent years I wanted to start some type of summer yearly ritual for me and my kids. This past couple years I take a week+ long trip into the BWCA of northern Minnesota with my dad and brother. THis past summer we took my 10 year old son. My son is still talking about it and constantly talking about going back. No cell service, no electricity, no roads, no way to get back to civilization without a full day of paddling. It is a great feeling being!
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Got a scholarship to go backpacking with OutwardBound. Didn't know what 'backpacking' was until they gave me a backpack to carry with over 60lbs. I fell in love with the Sierra and the rest is history.

Hammocking. After viewing Shug videos, I got curious and next thing you know, bought the quilt sets from JRB. Bought WBBB and Traveler. Then started doing DIYing.

Good time and good people.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hated my job, hated my life.
    Only thing I could think to do, was to take a walk.
    The AT called and I answered.

Pretty simple.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps
    When I joined Boy Scout Troop 61 (Saugus, MA) at age 11.....a few years ago.

I've never been out of uniform since....and most of my life since then, we camp every month with the troop like clockwork. My own son is now finally 11 and a newly-minted Boy Scout. Hope this goes on.

(And still waiting for shipment of a GT Ultralight for a maiden hang sometime.)
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I started camping in November 2009 when I became an Assistant Scoutmaster with my son's Boy Scout Troop. Now I'm the Scoutmaster and have over 100 nights camping in 3 years.

I picked up a Hennessy Hammock in 2010 when I saw another Scoutmaster sleeping in one. Now both my sons and I sleep in hammocks and I recently converted to a bridge hammock which was a great move.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    for me , camping was a way to have alone time, to do something for myself,
    started kayaking then backpacking.
    i bought a clark ul in 1998 because it looked cool, who knew that 10 years later i would throw my bed away?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    dammfast : I can only imagine how awesome a huge outdoor family reunion would have been, what a great idea. And even better that you're keeping the tradition alive! I have no doubt your son will too carry it on. Thanks for sharing brother!

Georgemaung: I would love to hear how you got that scholarship! It sure is addicting and its funny how nature found us, rather than the other way around!

Cannibal: We hit the trail for nearly the same reason, every single day after work last summer I would head to local conservation areas and run 6-8 miles through woods and mountains, the energy of mother nature is the ultimate medicine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast