Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First Annual Frozen Fingers Hang

Hey Everyone.

Here's a brief summary and some photos from the First Annual Frozen Fingers Hang.

We had seven intrepid explorers brave the great white north country of the Finger Lakes National Forest. Brian, Jeff, Jeff, Kevin, Miguel, Harlan, and me (David). A huge global warming-inspired January thaw struck us with temperatures in the 50s (!), and what started out as snow on Friday and Saturday, turned slushy and muddy by Sunday. Neither rain nor warm weather could dampen our spirits though!

Miguel found a great spot to hang in a pine plantation that was ready made for hammock hanging. The pines turned out to provide great cover from the wind, but we also found that they kept the cold in as well. That's alright though, our fireman Kevin kept us warm with a roaring wood fire and a bottle of something else that warmed the insides. The Sled Dog Ale also turned out to be very tasty and double-fisted just fine with a can of PBR Miguel's grilled sausage and chicken was a huge hit. Next year we have to double the amount though!

On the way home, we all stopped at a diner for a greasy breakfast. We had such a great time on this trip that everyone was discussing holding a warm finger hang sometime this summer. We had a great crew of hangers, and I can't wait to see them again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like another great time in the frozen North!
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That was a great summary Dave. I couldn't have come up with a more congenial group if I had hand picked them myself. Man did we have some laughs or what. Everyone's sense of humor was definitely on the same page.

I arrived on Friday about 2ish to find Crawfish waiting at the trail head. We hauled some firewood and beverages in on the pulk sled and started to set up camp. At that point there was still a nice blanket of snow but with rain threatening. As we were setting up our hammocks it started to spritz but were able to get set up before the real rain arrived. We really lucked out as the rain only lasted about an hour and that was the last of it for the weekend. It stayed just above freezing but the wind howled all night long. We managed to get a fire going and crashed at about 11:00. I crawled into my Ridgerunner and was VERY thankful for my Spindrift.

Almost forgot, Harlan a local teacher came late afternoon but had to leave to chaperon a JR High dance. He got back around 10:00 that night. In the morning he had other chores to do and was gone before Crawfish and I arose. He didn't come back until late Sat night and was gone again Sunday nmorning. Harlan the phantom hammocker.

Saturday the rest of the crew began to show up and the real party ensued. The temps were rising and hit a high of the fifties.Jolly Green (Jeff), Dave ADKPhoto) Young Jeff (Data Hiker) and his Dad-in Law (Kevin the Axe Murderer) were the attendees. My friends Bill and Anne dropped by but were unable to camp. Some used the pulk to bring in extra gear and we spent the afternoon nit picking each other's hammock set ups. Crawfish and I headed to Wally World to pick up more supplies.

Around dusk Kevin the Axe Murderer AKA Sparky the Pyro made us a fire of epic proportions. Tall tales were told, beverages were hoisted and a raucous time was had by all. Friendships were formed and promises were made for future outings. I look forward to seeing all of the gang on our next hang.

If you had intentions of attending all I can say is...you missed a good one. It was a quality time. Here are some more pics.

Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miguel; 01-15-2013 at 12:48.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a great time. I'm glad you guys were able to remember enough to make this report!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    Sounds like a great time. I'm glad you guys were able to remember enough to make this report!
    Uh....what report???

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Next one! Looks like a good trip. I wondered how you made out with the thaw. Thanks for the pics.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    dang that looked fun!!!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I hope we can work out a summer trip. Kevin is already plotting and scheming to spoil y'all with more fire and food (and beverages).

I enjoyed every part of the trip but it was really cool seeing that everyone had a different setup. For a newbie, being able to see them in person and pester everyone with questions helped tremendously.

I must say I was nervous about how everything would turn out, especially with a bunch of internet strangers. Everyone was friendly, fun and generous. I would gladly hang with these guys (and gal) any time, any place. We came in as strangers and left as hanging buddies!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on the PBR! Looked like some scooter rallies i have been too. hehehe. looks like a great time had by all.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

+1

to PBR! and good times.

• + New Posts