Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Method to get in Sleeping bag

I just finished some more experimenting while we have some warm weather for a change. I know most folks have switched to top quilts and such, or just using mummy style bags as quilts. But if there are any using a bag as a quilt and you approach the temp rating or you're exhausted and wet or both, the time may come when you need to get in that bag mummy style and zip up and cinch down the draft collar and hood. I remain convinced that this way of using a mummy bag, though a last resort, can easily add 15 to 25* to the warmth capability of any given bag. 2" to 4" of loft surrounding your head and neck while also sealing of drafts around the shoulders can add tremendously to warmth.

But first let me say getting in a bag with a HH is zero problem if you use the technique of simply sitting in the bottom entry, put ypur feet/knees/thighs in the bag, stand up and pull the hood up over your head and zip partly up, then sit back down and pull your feet up. You're done, and you're warm and it was quick and easy, assuming bottom insulation is taken care of. If this had only occured to me on my Wind River trip last Sept ( 23*), I would have saved endless thrashing only to give up and sleep cold using the bag quilt style. And saved me my initial bad impression of the HH SS. I might not have slept toasty, but I don't think I would have woke up shivering having to abandon the hammock the first night I used it. That was such a dusappointment! But the thing is, some might object to putting the foot of their down bag on the ground and standing on it. So then you have to use a ground cloth or pad, and I can just see the wind trying to blow that away.

So, as to the long running problem of getting in a mummy bag inside a HH, for those who insist on using this type of bag,here is what seems to be working for me, making it much easier ( with a little practice). I have been experimenting with my most difficult bag, a right zip mummy, a 15* rated NF Endurance, the bag I struggled with in the Wind Rivers.

1:I lay down in the hammock and pull the bag up beside my left side (rt zip bag) unzipped. I put my feet in and arrange the bag top over me quilt style, and put the hood loosley over my head.
    2:then as I keep the bag in postion on top of me, I roll over either to my rt side or roll rt. almost to my stomach. This make it pretty easy to get the right top zipper side of the bag to stay where it belongs, to my right side. As I do this, the back side ( normal down side) of the bag automaticly falls in place on my back. With just a little more maneuvering I can pull the right (normally) down/ground side zipper well under my right side to meeet the upside(front side) zipper.
    3: roll over on my back, zip up and cinch down and get warm. All of this now takes me maybe a minute or two and very little effort. As opposed to a time when I could not pull it off with 15 or more minutes of all out struggle. And all of this is easier with my slightly larger 5* left zip bag.

Quick summary: reverse normal procedure, and get in your bag after rolling over on your side or stomach! It's much easier (to me) to get in this type bag if only a very small amount of bag is under your side, rather than a large amount of bag trapped under your back in the wrong position. It might be even easier if you roll to your stomach after the bag top is in position, and then just roll back over onto the bottom of the bag which is now automaticly in proper position against your back with hood over your head.

Those who don't have quilts yet, try it out. You might like it.

I've just built my first hammock a Speer style and was thinking about this very problem. I'm 6'2" and weigh 250 lbs so I'm not pettite, and I already have a "big and tall" bag I ordered from Campmor and I really like it big enough for me to move a little when on the ground but still form fitting enough to be very warm it's rated to 0 degrees. Anyway at the bottom of my bag are two loops and of course up top there is the tension cord for the hood. So what I propose is to sew some thin webing to my outside edges and put loops on them the will serve two similiar purposes, one I think I can attach the foot loops and the tension cord in place so hopefully it will "hold" my bag in place while I get in, once in then I can undo the hood tie and maybe leave the foot on. Also I've been inspired by the fleece lined hammack comments to maybe put a fleece with loops to secure to the inside of my hammock. In addition to all this I'm going to put a second layer of nylon to make a pocket for my pad. I need to not buy a bunch of new things too keep the boss lady from asking too many questions. I have thought of the getting in the bag option first, you could stake a small tarp down to step on.

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    A lot of hammockers seem to go with using a sleeping bag as a quilt, just get in the hammock, sling the foot box down towards your feet and get them in, lay the bag over you tucking in if needed. with a pad underneath you that should insulate under you and less wrestling.

I do it this way, I thought the mummy hood thing was going to be in the way but actually its handy having it around I lay usually on my back or rolled to my right side it can still act as a hood or a pillow
    Last edited by Drop; 03-04-2007 at 19:11.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I've just built my first hammock a Speer style and was thinking about this very problem. I'm 6'2" and weigh 250 lbs so I'm not pettite, and I already have a "big and tall" bag I ordered from Campmor and I really like it big enough for me to move a little when on the ground but still form fitting enough to be very warm it's rated to 0 degrees. Anyway at the bottom of my bag are two loops and of course up top there is the tension cord for the hood. So what I propose is to sew some thin webing to my outside edges and put loops on them the will serve two similiar purposes, one I think I can attach the foot loops and the tension cord in place so hopefully it will "hold" my bag in place while I get in, once in then I can undo the hood tie and maybe leave the foot on. Also I've been inspired by the fleece lined hammack comments to maybe put a fleece with loops to secure to the inside of my hammock. In addition to all this I'm going to put a second layer of nylon to make a pocket for my pad. I need to not buy a bunch of new things too keep the boss lady from asking too many questions. I have thought of the getting in the bag option first, you could stake a small tarp down to step on.

Good move on the double bottom for the pad....I predict you'll like it. I'm not sure how you plan on sewing it but the Tom Claytor hammocks are sewn on three sides with the opening along one side. It holds a pad in place vey well. The double bottom will also prevent mosquitos from biting through the bottom of the hammock during the summer when you may choose not to use a pad. Please post some picks when it's complete.

Here's a picture of the Claytor double bottom.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/image...oubleLayer.JPG

Miguel

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Good move on the double bottom for the pad....I predict you'll like it. I'm not sure how you plan on sewing it but the Tom Claytor hammocks are sewn on three sides with the opening along one side. It holds a pad in place vey well. The double bottom will also prevent mosquitos from biting through the bottom of the hammock during the summer when you may choose not to use a pad. Please post some picks when it's complete.

Here's a picture of the Claytor double bottom.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/image...oubleLayer.JPG

Miguel
    I've heard of people being bitten through much thicker material than that. On the other hand, those instances might've been in the jungle somewhere...or FL, AL, MS, or LA They've got some WHOPPER skeeters...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I've heard of people being bitten through much thicker material than that. On the other hand, those instances might've been in the jungle somewhere...or FL, AL, MS, or LA They've got some WHOPPER skeeters...
    LA is horrible. Ive seen skeeters carry away small children......in hammocks (gotta keep it hammock related). Used to live there. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    LA is horrible. Ive seen skeeters carry away small children......in hammocks (gotta keep it hammock related). Used to live there. BD
    yeah... i once saw a giant mosquito laying in a hammock with it's legs crossed, grinning & using a tooth pick after finishing off a poor hammocker
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Don't the PR guys in LA call the really big ones like that 'storks'? Or maybe 'pelicans'?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    You haven't truly endured until you've camped during the height of Black Fly season in the New York Adirondacks. I've seen them reduce grown men to blithering idiots.

Miguel

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    You haven't truly endured until you've camped during the height of Black Fly season in the New York Adirondacks. I've seen them reduce grown men to blithering idiots.

Miguel
    I dunno...how do they stack up against the palmetto bugs in FL? Or swarms of noseeums for that matter? Bugs are one thing we do well here in the South...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast