Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock

Engaging "Hammock Mode" during SAR training excercise.

I participated in an overnight Search and Rescue Field Training Excercise at the end of october. This took place in the Greenwater area (near the King/Pierce County line) in Western Washington. Used a handy tree and one of my roof racks for support for my HH. Used stock tarp, the Supershelter system with overcover, underpad, undercover, emergency blanket, Big Agnes mummy bag with an REI air pad - and it was still a bit chilly. The fact that I was soaked from it dumping down rain almost the whole day probably contributed. Used the tree straps to secure on the head end and made some loops of paracord around the roof rack to secure to on the foot end. Did not end up being the most ideal spot due to the slope of ground underneath, but it worked out well enough.
    For next time I need to work on scouting out a better spot - two trees might have worked out better this time - and maybe getting a bigger tarp so I can stay drier during setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Looking good there RR. Let us know how the training went.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sorta cringed on how you have it hooked up to the roof rack. Wouldn't think it's designed to hold a load like that. Looks like it worked well though.

I don't have a rack for my truck. Figured I'd wrap the B post if I needed a similar set up. I wonder if trying to tie some webbing off on the frame on the opposite side and tossing it over the roof to the near side would work. Gonna have to tinker with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginRabbi View Post
    I participated in an overnight Search and Rescue Field Training Excercise at the end of october. This took place in the Greenwater area (near the King/Pierce County line) in Western Washington. Used a handy tree and one of my roof racks for support for my HH. Used stock tarp, the Supershelter system with overcover, underpad, undercover, emergency blanket, Big Agnes mummy bag with an REI air pad - and it was still a bit chilly. The fact that I was soaked from it dumping down rain almost the whole day probably contributed. Used the tree straps to secure on the head end and made some loops of paracord around the roof rack to secure to on the foot end. Did not end up being the most ideal spot due to the slope of ground underneath, but it worked out well enough.
    For next time I need to work on scouting out a better spot - two trees might have worked out better this time - and maybe getting a bigger tarp so I can stay drier during setup.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gplg View Post
    Sorta cringed on how you have it hooked up to the roof rack. Wouldn't think it's designed to hold a load like that. Looks like it worked well though.
    I've seen roof racks hold and I've seen roof racks let go.
    Sorta like playing Russian Roulette!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Greetings, From a Orygun SAR Member. Ah Night Op's are fun, a excuse to play.

Your Rack, is like my Xterra Rack. In the future, Run Line or Ratchet strap strap, to other side, and then to front. With the Rack brace in between. That will spread the load, and less chance of damage to the screws.

good photos, looks like a fun time.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup
    I have done the same setup with the roof rack on my 4 Runner. I wrapped the tree strap as near as I could to the base of the rack. The leverage force was down and it held well. I would use that setup again. Especially if it kept me from going to a tent. (I am guilty of sleeping in the back with my TQ and UQ though)

Good training! In SAR and hammock ingenuity.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I usually feed the straps through the inside of the car and over the roof, that way the hammock is tied to the whole car roof. I am always afraid of using the rack.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good use of your roof rack, but I hope I'm not the only one who is scratching his head at why the two well spaced trees behind your truck weren't used (from the first picture).

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock
    Very good points from all of you. I was pretty sure of the strength of the rack from earlier testing done a year previously. It is the factory rack bolted with 16 large screws into the structural roof panel, not just the surface sheet metal. I think I fixated a bit on utilizing my truck as part of the setup that I wasn't considering all my options. I know in the future I may be limed in my anchoring options so I wanted to practice.
    Going forward I plan to be more cognizant of the surroundings and use what is readily available. Practice, practice, practice. You can only truly learn by going out and doing it.
    The SAR training went very well despite the almost non-stop pouring rain. Made it above the snow line a couple of times. Practiced team communication and coordination. Actually used my winch for the first time in recovery training, pulled out a "stuck" Jeep Wrangler from a snowbank. Learned some good stuff.
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's some prime forest you had there. Why did you ignore all those trees in the background and hang from the roof rack? Just curious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast