Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    Looks like a fun trip! I used to hang from the rack on my Jeep Cherokee all the time and I never had an issue, but I can see how it isn't designed for those forces although it should be able to take them.

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's some prime forest you had there. Why did you ignore all those trees in the background and hang from the roof rack? Just curious.
    I guess you could say I couldn't see the forest for the trees.
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting setup. +1 on bigger tarp. Big rectangle with door tie points for car camping. Ground could have been worse - you could have had to sleep on it. ;-))
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Oh yeah, love your moniker.

Looking at your set up caused some reflection on how it could have been better. Since the beginning of hammocking looking at set up possibilities has been an obsession (driving down the road and seeing perfectly placed trees etc)...hope you don't mind.

I'd;
    1-lose the diamond tarp and get a larger cat cut rectangle to allow for a front porch.
    2-the two nice trees would have been golden for the above tarp/hammock set up.
    3-park the truck closer and use the top rack etc for the anchors to the tarp front porch.

That set up would have made for a much more dry camp. It would also have allowed you access to the truck doors and cab for wet gear removal etc.

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Oh yeah, love your moniker.

Looking at your set up caused some reflection on how it could have been better. Since the beginning of hammocking looking at set up possibilities has been an obsession (driving down the road and seeing perfectly placed trees etc)...hope you don't mind.

I'd;
    1-lose the diamond tarp and get a larger cat cut rectangle to allow for a front porch.
    2-the two nice trees would have been golden for the above tarp/hammock set up.
    3-park the truck closer and use the top rack etc for the anchors to the tarp front porch.

That set up would have made for a much more dry camp. It would also have allowed you access to the truck doors and cab for wet gear removal etc.
    I agree with your suggestions. One problem that I now recognize that I has was my foot end being lower than my head end. Tarp size was a major problem - especially considering the weather we were having. I have the HH Hex on order, but I might start stowing a big rectangle in the truck to see how that works. Also have Whoopie slings and Atlas straps on order.
    Being between the trees would have been better I think. I think the only concern I had there was the ground behind the truck towards the trees was really boggy, lots of mud and squishy grass.
    My next training outing is May 18th. I am still planning on hanging, even thought my wife keeps suggesting I go with a tent. I guess some of us are just too stubborn!
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    All things considered I would rather hang my hammock than pitch a tent in a marsh. OTOH I would probably be sleeping in my truck.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12