11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Progress so far: four jacket disassembled down to each individual panel and main zipper removed. (I left the pocket, you never know.) i made my base using the back panel and two front panels.

I then folded the top irregular edge over and sewed it down to square off the side. This will be to allow for adding a draw cord. Same for the other end. I tried to cut it to be even by sewing two lines and cutting between. Too messy
    I finished off the sides by reusing the elastic bottom from the jacket. I still need to add the shock cord draw strings and the suspension. Plus I have two more jackets to take apart. The final size for these are 56"x44" I used two 3XL jackets.

I am going to take the sleeves and sew them off square to use as foot warmers. Since there are four I can even double the up if need be.

I will put the remaining pieces in one bag to use as a pillow.

Final thoughts. I'm excited to have these for me and my boys. Ripping that many seems is tedious and time consuming and MESSY (my wife does not like this part.) also sewing already down-filled panels is quite tricky. Not my best sewing effort. Glad these are just for me
    Thats abput where Im at. Minus the cool color pattern. I too did the sew two.rows and cut between deal also. I did it on the top odd ball pieces and Im playing with a taper too. I kept one pocket. Might be neat to have hahah. Pics to come. Thanks.for posting

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome. Makes me want to go back for more...

Nice job with the quilts, fellas.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch

Talking

Here is what I came up with. By no means perfect or square. its off center to allow for the pocket s taper. I kept one pocket. Tried a taper from 42" to 34" and its 54" long. Im using a Sgt rock style suspension and Im getting just at 11oz. Its not as light as my 40° M50 HG Phoenix (9.50z hahahah) but its a nice lil quilt. Ill get a test hang in this week may still work on a leg shelf idea I have for it to contour the fit a lil better...also may slap some draft collars on it if need be.

2-3xlt jackets, some Gutterman Mara and 2-rolls 1.5" Grosgrain from walmart.....Les than $40 quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Beautiful job. Im still in the same place as the pics I put up. Lot of overtime at work. Soon tho I will finish. Beautiful job again. I might have to borrow some ideas.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    Just made a one stitch wearable quilt. Couldn't be easier.
    Take two same size jackets
    Put them both on like you would wear them, but put the one you would wan on the outside on first
    Pin just the bottom edge together and sew
    To use as a quilt just tie shock cord just below all four corners of the collars
    Use the collars as draft collars
    One jacket will be inside out when used as a quilt
    Just tuck the arms in as extra insulation
    As a double jacket the seam at the bottom puffs it out a little adding extra insulating space

Wheeeeee, 28$ ten minute wearable quilt
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    PICS? I need to see this...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

It looks like I have been pulled straight into the Deerfu Penny Puffer craze!

First off, thanks Deerfu for bringing this to our attention and sharing your project! Our JCP only had 3 so it was off to Murfreesboro where they had a ton of them. Needless to say, 17 jackets later, WE (my wife, TN Tree Hugger) have alot of seam ripping and sewing to do! I will try and post pics as I go and maybe a vid when I am all done.

3 of the jackets are for jacket use. the 14 others are for UQ's. one for my wife and myself, 4 to sell and 1 to pay it forward.

Not much so far but I did get 1 sleeve detatched last night with no loss of down. I did have one oops with the seam ripper but was able to poke it back in before any loss occured. I am no way a skilled sewer, so no laughing! Luckily my mom is all gung ho about the project, hence the reason to make so many! She is the seamstress and has all the nice equipment which includes a serger and embroidery machine so who knows. Wish us luck! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Honey Badger!; 01-28-2013 at 13:58.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Reason~ View Post
    Just made a one stitch wearable quilt. Couldn't be easier.
    Take two same size jackets
    Put them both on like you would wear them, but put the one you would wan on the outside on first
    Pin just the bottom edge together and sew
    To use as a quilt just tie shock cord just below all four corners of the collars
    Use the collars as draft collars
    One jacket will be inside out when used as a quilt
    Just tuck the arms in as extra insulation
    As a double jacket the seam at the bottom puffs it out a little adding extra insulating space

Wheeeeee, 28$ ten minute wearable quilt
    yeah we definitely need pics . Im working on the wearable stage of mine now. it will be more of a improvised poncho. just add some union tape, hahah. Great work!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash

Not much to show, just looks like two jackets under the hammock. In this pic the black one is wrong side out so when you fold them together to wear they are both the right way. These are both 3xlt I think which makes a good size quilt for me. I'm going to break out my extra fancy sewing skills and add little loops to attach the shock cord or string.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    The zippered pockets on the black jacket are nicely positioned to hold my glasses and flashlight too.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast