night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    love it, and you didnt end up with feathers all over like i did. i kinda slipped whoops. thanks for a great idea.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Checked my JCP today... gone - Online $30. I think for this cost I could make one from various places.

Wonder where all these geese came from? Sure not on my table

I finally got around to breaking down a couple of jackets today.. It took me four hours to take apart two jackets with a seam ripper..
    It was not fun but I got it done..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Thumbs up Lost in the JCPenny Puffer Jacket Sauce!

Well, all I can say is that my DIY hobby time is going to be consumed with these jackets for the forseeable future. I have friends and family who need underquilts and I guess I know what they are getting for their birthdays or Christmas!

But first I plan to make a goretex on the outside and puffer on the inside underquilt modeled after the Yeti. I have a body bag that I used to sleep in during Desert Storm, Iraq and then Afghanistan. My friends used to try and zip me up in it until I figured out that I could turn it inside out. It is made of goretex and has sentimental value (morbid I know). I remembered I had it after I saw UBL getting carried out in one in Zero Dark Thirty.

Anyhow...I'll post pics...the goretex is reasonably lightweight and flexible. I should be able to make two underquilts with it.

G-Nut

I was able to get a 4xl and a 2xl tonight moments after reading this thread. BOTH IN ORANGE to match my grey/orange double nest and the bright orange thread I used to make my grey tarp, and treestraps with. With the glo-wire i've got for all my tie-outs, it's going to look like I did it all on purpose! rather than finding the eno and the jackets on clearance. Here I was plotting a savings for a pheonix 40 degree that wouldn't match. I think this will suit nicely and who can beat $30.45?!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Here is what I came up with. By no means perfect or square. its off center to allow for the pocket s taper. I kept one pocket. Tried a taper from 42" to 34" and its 54" long. Im using a Sgt rock style suspension and Im getting just at 11oz. Its not as light as my 40° M50 HG Phoenix (9.50z hahahah) but its a nice lil quilt. Ill get a test hang in this week may still work on a leg shelf idea I have for it to contour the fit a lil better...also may slap some draft collars on it if need be.

2-3xlt jackets, some Gutterman Mara and 2-rolls 1.5" Grosgrain from walmart.....Les than $40 quilt.
    This looks incredibly cleanly done would you mind shedding some light on what you did with the pockets and how you laid your pieces to gether and what got trimmed?

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Planning on doing something similar for a top quilt. Removed sleeves from one and will add velcro closures to arm opening - this will be the foot end. Will take ~1/2 of another and sew to 1st jacket (need a bit extra length). Finally will take an unaltered jacket and mate it with the bottom (thinking velcro or maybe a zipper). So for the top you'll be able to use it as a quilt and optionally put your arms in the sleeves (for reading and such). Top will also still be usable as a regular jacket and bottom as an extra long vest. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it later this week/weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Reason~ View Post
    Just made a one stitch wearable quilt. Couldn't be easier.
    Take two same size jackets
    Put them both on like you would wear them, but put the one you would wan on the outside on first
    Pin just the bottom edge together and sew
    To use as a quilt just tie shock cord just below all four corners of the collars
    Use the collars as draft collars
    One jacket will be inside out when used as a quilt
    Just tuck the arms in as extra insulation
    As a double jacket the seam at the bottom puffs it out a little adding extra insulating space

Wheeeeee, 28$ ten minute wearable quilt

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    OK.... I'll check a few more stores and send them to you guys to fix for me

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    This looks incredibly cleanly done would you mind shedding some light on what you did with the pockets and how you laid your pieces to gether and what got trimmed?
    Thanks! Its not the best up close. Afew rookie mistakes but Its mine and iy works. hahah

I used back and front panels like the others did. the front panels from one jacket went on.the left and the others on.the right of the back panels. This made the pockets so that the wpuld be oriented and in about arms reach if I was to need them. I then took the zippers,backer and pocket off the one side amd just sewed the holes remaing together. I the had planned on having two pockets on my right side but wasnt happy with the weight so I decided to taper the quilt. And with that lost another one. They panels look off set to keep the width to the one side for the pockets. I mocked the measurements of one I have and liked and used a white fabric pencil and a big rule/straight edge to make my lines. I then sewed two rows about and 1/8" apart and cut between them. Do the cutting out side :-) . It is a little messy but not catastrophic. Use some packing tape or masking tape on the edges after you cut them. this will keep down any floaties and such that may be from the cutting. do a clen job and it will look just like a grosgrain egde.you can just sewn your grosgrain over it too if youd like. Then its a matter of shockord and your preference of suspension.

My current step is I cut a head hole in the middle and sewn union tape to make a closeable hole. I placed more union tape in a few choice places and now have a pretty sweet wrap around poncho/vest. Thats uses the shockord to cinch at bottom. Its just for the spring/summer cool mornings or nights if need be. Very minimal weight added. you could add or bring some sleeves too. The ones included dont work so well for me. Theyll be a later projectn I have a
    some from Lukes UL I like better.
    Last edited by 2Tall; 01-28-2013 at 23:04.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Reason~ View Post

Not much to show, just looks like two jackets under the hammock. In this pic the black one is wrong side out so when you fold them together to wear they are both the right way. These are both 3xlt I think which makes a good size quilt for me. I'm going to break out my extra fancy sewing skills and add little loops to attach the shock cord or string.
    Love the design.

I don't see this as a good stand alone because in the summer when the quilt would be sufficient, the jacket would be too warm. In the winter where the doubled jacket would warm enough the quilt would be too cold.

This would however make a great supplement to a winter UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast