Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Its showing up as $32 at jcpenny right now.

Hammock
    DIY Black Bird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NeoAir or JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by aruss View Post
    So you do not remove the ribbon from the inside first but rather work your way to it from the outside? Do you separate the corners on the inside?
    You got it. I leave the ribbon on and it all comes undone in two passes of thread cutting. I do separate the corners on the inside to begin. Just enough that when you pull it apart you can get the ripper in between the panels.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman
    Is this the under quilt and top quilt?
    Those were the left-over sleeves bungied together as wearable sleeves for around camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Its showing up as $32 at jcpenny right now.
    The price at JC Penney's online website and in stores where it is still extremely cold might still be $32. Local stores discount them so they are gone before the weather gets too warm for anyone to think about buying a puffer jacket (our niche crowd excluded). If your store hasn't slashed these to 80% off yet be patient and watch the weather. Most stores are still hoping they can find a buyer for "mainstream" S/M/L/XL sizes at a $20 price point.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    This idea was mentioned in another thread in the donating members section so I decided to give it a shot. These jackets are 650 down filled and were on clearance for $14 each. The size I picked up for this project was 3xlt. I removed the sleeves and sewed up the arms from the inside. Then sewed the bottom of the 2 jackets together. I still have to ad my suspension but work is calling so I'll have to do that and post finished and hanging pics later. I also have 2 nice and light weight sets of sleeves to start another project with. I've posted a pic of the quilt in the stuff sack that came with the jacket next to a bottle. It will still compress down to about half this size so if I can get my suspension right I will have a quilt that will take up half the room of my synthetic. This is my first attempt at diy sewing to- more pics to come. If anyone has good ideas on hanging it please feel free to post. I need all the help I can get.
    How many ounces do these jackets weigh and how much does your underquilt weigh? Thanks man!

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Those were the left-over sleeves bungied together as wearable sleeves for around camp.

The price at JC Penney's online website and in stores where it is still extremely cold might still be $32. Local stores discount them so they are gone before the weather gets too warm for anyone to think about buying a puffer jacket (our niche crowd excluded). If your store hasn't slashed these to 80% off yet be patient and watch the weather. Most stores are still hoping they can find a buyer for "mainstream" S/M/L/XL sizes at a $20 price point.
    Thanks man, gonna check my local store in a bit here. I did buy a 3xl tall and it will be at my store in a week but maybe they have them now. If so i may cancel my order and hopefully get that crazy discount. I have seen many people around town with this jacket but the real big ones prob don't sell out.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I've decided to use my poncho liner with my JC Penney Puffer Jackets, I'm not sure if the Down Jackets should be under my PLUQ or on top. What would be the best way to set this up so I get the maximum effectiveness from the Puffer Jackets?

This is a photo of the Puffer Jackets sewn together into a underquilt on top(Inside) of the poncho liner.

This is a Photo of the PLUQ On Top (Inside) of the Puffer Jackets.

I will also be using a Underquilt Protector made by 2QZQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Is this the under quilt and top quilt?
    No, those are down sleeves, similar to jrb down sleeves
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nj4x4fever View Post
    I've decided to use my poncho liner with my JC Penney Puffer Jackets, I'm not sure if the Down Jackets should be under my PLUQ or on top. What would be the best way to set this up so I get the maximum effectiveness from the Puffer Jackets?

This is a photo of the Puffer Jackets sewn together into a underquilt on top(Inside) of the poncho liner.

This is a Photo of the PLUQ On Top (Inside) of the Puffer Jackets.

I will also be using a Underquilt Protector made by 2QZQ.
    Given that the jackets are sewn through, I would put he down under the poncho liner, but only if you can avoid compressing the down...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I am going to try this, but I have a thought someone has posted that they feel 40degrees would be the limit on these, but what about doubling them for colder hangs

1 for summer/early fall add the second to take you down into lower temps

I have seen many posts of people doubling up on quilts and from what I read it works very well and this would be a sort of modular set up maybe snap the together or something

Just looking for ideas
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HHHex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobW View Post
    Another suspension question, what suspension style are people using. Also, with the simple 2 jackets sewn at the bottom do I need end channels to cinch it up, or is it narrow enough at the collar?
    When I made my simple UQ sewing the bottoms together and adding tabs at the collar ends for suspension, I used 4 pieces of 1/8" SC that I attach to triangle thingies. I don't have cinches anywhere and it seems to hug the hammock well. One thing I did do was slide the triangle thingies out on the RL to the point where the SCs are slightly pre-stretched.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
    Robert Frost

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast