Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Just came back from JCP with 6 puffers. Got one for my wife to wear, this helps with the WAF, and got 5 to play with. Hers was $20 but the XLT's were all $14 as billed. They still had about a dozen more on the rack. I thought I was going to be too late to get on-board this train but they were just waiting for me, may go back and reduce their inventory again.

I got 4 black and an orange one for making easier to find items like hats. I've had a thread injector in the attic for years sitting in solitary. I will have to liberate it and make it earn its keep.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just got the sleeves off of one of my jackets. Seam ripping was confusing, so I sewed a line a little away from the original stitch. I then cut in between to seperate the sleeves from the jacket body. I'll do the other tomorrow and see them together. I cheated, but i'm happy I could do it myself.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    It was an interesting night! :-) The down and dirty, a great 40 deg UQ. At 40 during the late afternoon with very light wind I felt quite comfy. As it started dropping I started feeling a little CBS coming on so I added my 2 spare front panels and within 3 min. I was back good to go. About 10:30 it had dropped to 30 and I was getting cold in the shoulders and across the top of my back. So I added a set of spare sleeves to my upper back and within 5 I was good again. I woke up at 2:30 , temp was 28 and I felt fine, not toasty but bearable, feet were a little cold but I moved around and the felt a little better. So back to sleep until 430, woke up with the end of my right foot freezing. I had been pressing up against the side of my hammock and UQ pretty hard so I lost all my loft in that area. Rearranged and added other sleeves as booties, (not sewn yet) and it was bearable for the rest of the night.

If I hadn't been testing the UQ I would have had my pad under my feet and I believe that would have solved the cold foot syndrome.

The free sliding channel of ribbon made it easy to move up and down as needed depending on the slant. I could pull more over my footbox and shoulder quite easily. The shock cord kept everything in place nicely.

I took some video through the process and hopefully I will be able to piece together my first DIY video and hopfully it will help. :-)

Happy Hangin!
    HB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB1.7DL
    Tarp
    Toxaway tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Picked up the only 3XLT JCP had left, but did grab my 4yr old two XLTs for a summer UQ. Anyways, my wife being the supportive coach's widow she is... she called JCP online and talked them into giving her the 3XLT at the $14 price they were in store and not the $30 they are online! She just has to call back in the morning because it was after hours in our local store. (Not sure if they wanted to double check or something.)

I thought this might be nice for those of you that can't get sizes or the number of jackets at your local locations. I'll let you all know tomorrow after she orders 6 more 3XLTs and they're on the way... $75 ships for free.

One more thing, I was planning on using these in conjunction with my DIY Insultex UQ for winter temps. I was going to layer them hammock > IXUQ > downygoodness. Thoughts...

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Honey Badger, Thanks for the update on the under quilt. I am about 90% there with mine. I ran out of material when sewing the trim on and need to get to the store. I kind of guessed this would be a 40 degree quilt thanks for getting out there and testing it so quickly.

And thanks again for design idea.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by digitizer101 View Post
    Honey Badger, Thanks for the update on the under quilt. I am about 90% there with mine. I ran out of material when sewing the trim on and need to get to the store. I kind of guessed this would be a 40 degree quilt thanks for getting out there and testing it so quickly.

And thanks again for design idea.
    No problem at all. I love hanging and DIY projects so it was a win win. Just glad to have found this forum, A couple of buddies kept telling me to check it out but of course I didn't listen for a while and finally signed up now i'm hooked!

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    I tore apart a blue 2xlt and 2xl and following HoneyBadger's pattern put together a single underquilt like the one pictured. I was pondering what I could do to extend the temperature range of this underquilt, when it hit me. Not only did I have two front panels left, but also 4 sleeves. I tore apart the sleeves and played with their arrangement for a while, and was able to put a second layer along the entire center strip (the back panels and front panels in Honey Badger's pattern). That's most of the underquilt as a double layer!
    Had this same thought as I was ripping apart my first jacket yesterday. Would be extremely interested in seeing pictures. If it's hung (with buttons/toggles/velcro)off the outside of the existing jacket/quilt, it shouldn't compress the first layer of down and that way you have a nice 40* quilt that you can hopefully take down to the low 30's.

One jacket down, one to go... then face my fears and thread that confounded bobbin!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    It was an interesting night! :-) The down and dirty, a great 40 deg UQ. At 40 during the late afternoon with very light wind I felt quite comfy. As it started dropping I started feeling a little CBS coming on so I added my 2 spare front panels and within 3 min. I was back good to go. About 10:30 it had dropped to 30 and I was getting cold in the shoulders and across the top of my back. So I added a set of spare sleeves to my upper back and within 5 I was good again. I woke up at 2:30 , temp was 28 and I felt fine, not toasty but bearable, feet were a little cold but I moved around and the felt a little better. So back to sleep until 430, woke up with the end of my right foot freezing. I had been pressing up against the side of my hammock and UQ pretty hard so I lost all my loft in that area. Rearranged and added other sleeves as booties, (not sewn yet) and it was bearable for the rest of the night.
    HB, thanks for this pattern. What kind of top insulation were you using last night? let's see that video!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    HB, thanks for this pattern. What kind of top insulation were you using last night? let's see that video!
    I was using a military 32 deg sleeping bag just laid on top of me. working on tearing apart my 30 year old down military mummy bag to make into an UQ. I bought it surplus when I was 12 for $10 at a scount camp so it's probably 40 years old. It's 8 1/2 lbs with the cover on it. So I am going to make a top quilt and fill it with the down from it.

Hammock
    WBBB1.7DL
    Tarp
    Toxaway tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    JCP online will not honor the store price.... they well ship more form another store without costing you anything extra. >$75 ships to your door.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-05-2013 at 07:45.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post

If I hadn't been testing the UQ I would have had my pad under my feet and I believe that would have solved the cold foot syndrome.

The free sliding channel of ribbon made it easy to move up and down as needed depending on the slant. I could pull more over my footbox and shoulder quite easily. The shock cord kept everything in place nicely.

I took some video through the process and hopefully I will be able to piece together my first DIY video and hopfully it will help. :-)

Happy Hangin!
    HB
    I freakin' love the UQ! If I were you I would never part with that one. Love it that it's modular too. Add extra insulation when needed- i did the same. Yours is a work of art

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast