ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    I freakin' love the UQ! If I were you I would never part with that one. Love it that it's modular too. Add extra insulation when needed- i did the same. Yours is a work of art
    Thanks man, I owe it all to you... well, and "MtneerInTN". He is the coworker that pointed me to your thread! I do love the alternating colors! My wifes is solid Orange with green ribbon. Can't decide if I am going to do the Blue or Green one next, and then I have 3 black ones to make. :-) lots of seam ripping in my near future!

I also ordered all the materials for my new tarp about 20 minutes ago. I will post pics of it as I go. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I finished mine! I was gonna have my mom help, but I started removing the sleeves and couldn't stop. Probably took me about an hour and 1 bent needle. WARNING THERE IS SILICA PACKETS IN THE BOTTOM BAFFEL ON THE FRONT PANELS!!! Here's my handy work.

I simply sewed the bottom of 2 jackets together and added pull outs.

I'm quite proud of my rectangle here. This was the best of the 4, and one was REALLY bad. I'm still proud of my little quilt. Now I need some shock cord.

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobW View Post
    WARNING THERE IS SILICA PACKETS IN THE BOTTOM BAFFEL ON THE FRONT PANELS!!! Here's my handy work.
    The silica packets are in the pockets unless there is more in the front baffles.
    Can someone confirm or deny this?

I could only find the silica packets in the pockets... unfortunately one of mine was ripped open and I had silica beads I was trying to get out of the cracks in the pockets for a good half-hour.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oops.
    You're correct, they're in the pockets. Mine is sewn in now, lol.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobW View Post
    Oops.
    You're correct, they're in the pockets. Mine is sewn in now, lol.
    Well that's one way to absorb the moisture left behind after a good nights rest

I removed all of mine before I started sewing I guess I will have to seam rip again and put them back now!
    Last edited by digitizer101; 02-05-2013 at 08:14. Reason: SP

Hammock
    DIY Black Bird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NeoAir or JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Alrighty guys and girls,

I was able to score one jacket for $14, went back the next day and the cashier made a price adjustment for me (for reasons unknown to me) and got two more jackets at $5 a piece! So that's three 3xlt jackets for $24

This will be my first real sewing project. I've made some box stitches in my tree straps but that's it for experience. I've got all my jackets ripped up to their separate panels and am ready to start piecing them back together. My question is what stitch should I use to put the panels back together? Do something similar to how the jackets were made? A combination of straight stitch and overcast stitch? I'd love some links if you got em.

I plan on using grosgrain for the outside edge and the shock cord channels.

Thanks for any advice,

Moko

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Good morning / evening - I picked up two 4XL last night with the goal to make an underquilt, and see what leftovers I have for a hat/socks.

I have made four hammocks, but have never stepped into the realm of underquilts, and never used one before. So visualizing how long/wide it should be is difficult. I understand the grossgrain part for a channel for shockcord/550.

Panel and pieces help needed -

From what I understand and can gleam from a few pictures, the intent is to pick the seams to seperate back panel, left and right chest pieces, the colllar, the left and right arms, and... ? Right? I am little confused on the pocket threads.

The back panels seem to be the majority of the UQ, with one person running the baffles horizontally to prevent bunch of the down.

Any thoughts or tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was wondering if it would be better to run a stitch right above the seem you are about to rip to prevent down from going all over

Thanks again for catching this great deal - Regularly $70 based on the tag.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    Good morning / evening - I picked up two 4XL last night with the goal to make an underquilt, and see what leftovers I have for a hat/socks.

I have made four hammocks, but have never stepped into the realm of underquilts, and never used one before. So visualizing how long/wide it should be is difficult. I understand the grossgrain part for a channel for shockcord/550.

Panel and pieces help needed -

From what I understand and can gleam from a few pictures, the intent is to pick the seams to seperate back panel, left and right chest pieces, the colllar, the left and right arms, and... ? Right? I am little confused on the pocket threads.

The back panels seem to be the majority of the UQ, with one person running the baffles horizontally to prevent bunch of the down.

Any thoughts or tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was wondering if it would be better to run a stitch right above the seem you are about to rip to prevent down from going all over

Thanks again for catching this great deal - Regularly $70 based on the tag.
    I actually run a stitch down BOTH sides of the seam that I am ripping, because there is only one seam and you can't keep either side closed once you separate it. Also, I found it easier to run my stitches AFTER I pick off the binding on the seam.
    I wrote up a bunch of this stuff on my JCPenney DIY Topquilt Thread
    Last edited by bowl-maker; 02-05-2013 at 14:00.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HHHex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/SLS
    Amazing what everyone is doing with these jackets! Works of art. I did what Reason did, sewed the bottoms together, pulled the sleeves into the "inside" of the quilt and sewed grosgrain tabs at the collar ends. 4 pieces of shockcord and done. Not as professional looking as most of these, but quick... Haven't had a chance to test outside yet. Here in MI it has been cold lately(teens at night), too cold for this underquilt I'm sure.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
    Robert Frost

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast