BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Need to find zipper for my bugnet

I have a DIY bugnet the my lovely mother sewed up for me. After a handful of weekenders in it I realize I need to go from the "scrunch it" shock cord to a zipper system. Te shock card bunches is fine but I feel it hinders my diagonal lay and it gets just a hair tight on the corners.

It's totally still useable but I wanna try out a lightweight zipper as see how that fairs.

Where can I find something that can easily sew into the opening of noseeum mesh?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    What kind of bugnet is it? Fronkey's design? Without knowing how long a zipper you need or where it would be placed, it's tough to predict whether it would help with the comfort issues, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest getting a length of #3 coil zipper (10' should be more than enough) and a couple of two-sided zipper pulls. Most of the diy suppliers will have them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I have a DIY bugnet the my lovely mother sewed up for me. After a handful of weekenders in it I realize I need to go from the "scrunch it" shock cord to a zipper system. Te shock card bunches is fine but I feel it hinders my diagonal lay and it gets just a hair tight on the corners.

It's totally still useable but I wanna try out a lightweight zipper as see how that fairs.

Where can I find something that can easily sew into the opening of noseeum mesh?
    If you think the shock cord system hinders your diagonal lay, wait till you replace it with a zipper. It sounds like you have a Fronkey-type bottom-entry and you are cinching the shock cord way too tight. I haven't found the need to cinch it more than to get it off the ground. I never tighten it up to the point it's against the UQ or hammock body. I've yet to get bit in my BIAS Buginator, and the NJ State Bird is the mosquito.

I think you may be messing with a perfectly good bottom-entry bugnet for no reason. Just stop cinching the shock cord too tight and your diagonal lay will be fine. I was skeptical of the bottom entry bugnet when I first got mine, but it appears mosquitoes simply aren't smart enough to fly down to the opening, then fly up into the bugnet. That's not how they hunt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If you think the shock cord system hinders your diagonal lay, wait till you replace it with a zipper. It sounds like you have a Fronkey-type bottom-entry and you are cinching the shock cord way too tight. I haven't found the need to cinch it more than to get it off the ground. I never tighten it up to the point it's against the UQ or hammock body. I've yet to get bit in my BIAS Buginator, and the NJ State Bird is the mosquito.

I think you may be messing with a perfectly good bottom-entry bugnet for no reason. Just stop cinching the shock cord too tight and your diagonal lay will be fine. I was skeptical of the bottom entry bugnet when I first got mine, but it appears mosquitoes simply aren't smart enough to fly down to the opening, then fly up into the bugnet. That's not how they hunt.
    I will definitely try this.

Yes it's very similar to fronkey's. a huge trapezoid with te larger side along my ridgeline and a 4' bottom opening. Ido tighten it pretty tight and snug it up to te bottom of my hammock.

I guess I'll have to trust the bugnet.

Hammock
    Eno One-Link
    Tarp
    Dreams of Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow 20 top Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    This site may help you get what you need. They appear to have all kinds of goodies for the DIY in us all.
    Rock On!!!
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm#MAKE YOUR OWN ZIPPERS

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Ido tighten it pretty tight and snug it up to te bottom of my hammock.
    I know it's hard to resist that urge. I ripped a bottom-entry bugnet doing just that. When trying to get my diagonal I put too much pressure on the ridgeline openings and they ripped. That kind of forced me to stop cinching it up so tight.

I was expecting to get bit with it not cinched up tight. I sat there watching the mosquitoes, waiting for them to figure out the way in. I mean, the door was wide open! They still haven't figured out how to get in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

I live in ga. Lots of moisture in the air, muggy, tick city. Skeeters are just as bad. Which is why in hesitant to leave it lose. Ill definitely give it a go next time in out. Probably next weekend at oconee forest wma.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I know it's hard to resist that urge. I ripped a bottom-entry bugnet doing just that. When trying to get my diagonal I put too much pressure on the ridgeline openings and they ripped. That kind of forced me to stop cinching it up so tight.

I was expecting to get bit with it not cinched up tight. I sat there watching the mosquitoes, waiting for them to figure out the way in. I mean, the door was wide open! They still haven't figured out how to get in.
    You happen to have any pictures of you laying in it with the bugnet ad maybe one of the bottom opening?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    DIY Gear Supply carries several different weights of continuous zipper if you decide to go with a zipper.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You happen to have any pictures of you laying in it with the bugnet ad maybe one of the bottom opening?
    Here's a pic of how to cinch it up real tight, insuring that you can't get a good diagonal. This is the net I ripped from cinching too tight.

Those are not my kids. I borrowed them from the next-door neighbor. He looked at me kinda strange when I asked to borrow his kids for backyard bugnet testing. Rightfully so, he came along rather than leave the kids alone with some guy who wanted to do backyard bugnet testing!

Here's the same net not cinched up at all. I barely cinch mine shut, just enough to keep it off the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast