Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I have x-pac frame bags for my MTB, I wouldn't want a tarp made from it though, a bit overkill really.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to buy some 70d sil from DIY supply. Just wish they had it in cammo. I wanna do some stealth hammocking. But black should be good enough.

Thanks again everyone. Much obliged.
    While it's slightly less durable than the 70d, DIY Gear Supply's olive brown 30d Sil is pretty stealthy. I show off a tarp and poncho/undercover made of it in the second post of this thread. Pretty good stuff; I'm not particularly careful with my gear (my poncho often doubles as a "front porch" for my hammock, so it gets walked on), and neither has given me any trouble after ~6 months/~15 nights of use. Just a thought.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to buy some 70d sil from DIY supply. Just wish they had it in cammo. I wanna do some stealth hammocking. But black should be good enough.

Thanks again everyone. Much obliged.
    If it's not too late I'd suggest ordering their PU coated camo fabric (2nd down)...it's cheaper, easier to work with (sil is slippery) and actually cammo.

I've worked with both Urethane (PU) and Sil and Sil performs slightly better but is more difficult to work with and if it's your first time sewing a tarp you might appreciate the fabric not slipping on you while you're still figuring out what you're doing.

If you still go with Sil (or it's too late) I'm sure it will work out fine...just requires a little more expertise/patience.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    As far as colors go...I have an olive brown Edge tarp from Warbonnet, and it's pretty darn stealthy!...I was returning to the campground from lunch out last weekend when I was "testing" the tarp, and I had a hard time finding my site until I was close (I'm guessing 50' & specifically looking for tarp)...usually I can pick out my campsite as soon as I pull in this particular campground...using the same site the last 4 visits! Below is a pic from this trip...and no, it wasn't foggy coming back from lunch like in the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paulie; 01-18-2013 at 11:54. Reason: pic added

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Posting on my phone is kind of a hassle. Still learning this tapatalk app.
    Last edited by namnat; 01-19-2013 at 21:28.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Just a note. I understand the military is phasing out black in future camo patterns. Perhaps it is only with the digital, but someone somewhere has made the determination, that it's stealthier w/o black in the pattern.

I prefer the solid muted greens, olive, tan. They blend very well. Also, when and if someone finds you, it doesn't look like quite as much of an overt attempt at concealment.

At least you can always complain when asked, about how you have a hard time finding camp yourself
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo_99 View Post
    If it's not too late I'd suggest ordering their PU coated camo fabric (2nd down)...it's cheaper, easier to work with (sil is slippery) and actually cammo.

I've worked with both Urethane (PU) and Sil and Sil performs slightly better but is more difficult to work with and if it's your first time sewing a tarp you might appreciate the fabric not slipping on you while you're still figuring out what you're doing.

If you still go with Sil (or it's too late) I'm sure it will work out fine...just requires a little more expertise/patience.
    I thought it would be slippery. I was thinking of using a cheap ol glue stick to hold the seams together while I stitch the edges. Have any of you tried this method?
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12