Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

The India Build Thread

After my hours and hours of reading other people's posts I thought I'd start my own. This will be in line with a motorcycle build thread, occasional posts about my progress. I have big plans but living in India makes big plans a little tricky.

The big plan is to have 4 turtle lady stands (bamboo grows like weeds here). Set them up in a square and hang a hammock on each side. There is one place to order hammocks here for about $35 US. But it is a bit narrow for me, so it is the wife's. I'm going to try and make mine and the hammocks for the kids. If the kids' hammocks are half as cool as I want them to be, they will be quite awesome.

But to get the thread started I got some 7/36 grey amsteel and a rack pack of camp USA nano caribiners. So I have made 4 continuous loops for the hammock ends and 1 pair of whoopie slings. My wife wants to use webbing suspension so that should save me some precious amsteel.

Now to get:
    1) Thread injector (they still make the old singers here still so that is what I plan on getting).
    2) Tarps: I want to make a big rectangle for the family and a smaller hex for just me. They have something here called sylpauline but I want to actually get my hands on it before if I know it will work.
    3) Hammocks. 1 down 3 to go. I plan on just making 1 for me (a simple gathered end affair) but for the kids I plan on making 1 a dragon and the other a rocket ship. Finding a good fabric is the key and I think I finally have one.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Some other projects I've undertaken inspired by this forum.

I was in love with my nifty 7-up can stove. I kept picking it up and looking at it. And the top didn't sit just right so I figured if I just applied a little pressure with my foot I could get it to seat completely...Well now it is more of a conversation piece than a functioning stove.

I also put together a baby food lantern which I have shown considerable constraint and not smashed with my clumsy size 12.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Good luck with all your projects! Diy is alot of fun---and as you will find out, very addicting! A while back I was sitting in a church service---very busy taking notes. The guy next to me looked over and saw what I was writing, and looked confused: I had a brainstorm about a new alcohol stove, and was frantically writing it down before I forgot! You never know when a new idea will pop into your head!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Your family hammock system sounds like terrific fun. Good luck finding all you need. I look forward to following this thread. Keep the pictures coming.

Joyfully, Turtlelady.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Ah the addiction of DIY ! Have fun!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Unfortunately I'm a bit of a DIY nut already (made my own pipes & Pens, worked on my own motorcycle, car, etc). It is significantly harder here, though, as there is little to no DIY culture in this country. With a billion people there is always someone who will do it for you for cheap . Attempting to break the mold.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I finally went into the old city and picked up some Polyester Crepe and silk (I have no idea what variety or quality) to start making some hammocks and Silk TQs. Now just to find myself a sewing machine and the pictures will start coming.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    So work has been crazy but I haven't had a chance to make any of my hammocks that exist in my head. I have the material, but no sewing machine or time. I did, however finally move from hanging my hammock from the porch railing to try and hang from real live trees. I finally used my woopie slings for approximately .03 seconds.

That is as long as I had before my webbing straps broke and I fell to the ground, in front of about 30 denizens of the orphanage my friend and I were visiting. He was kind enough to snap this picture.

At least the kids enjoyed it.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Ha! Too cute, loving the humility. Good luck on your endeavors.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Finally got some DIY supplies from stateside!
    Read here about creating my first big project: a 9x9 square tarp. Action photos forthcoming.
    http://polymathophilia.blogspot.in/2...e-shelter.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast