Thread: Stock HH setup?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Undercover

Stock HH setup?

I just got my first hammock, HH Expedition Asym. I know I'll be adding the #2 zipper mod and eventually a larger tarp. I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to balance the different ways to do things that everyone uses. But all of this did raise one question. Is there anyone who uses the stock HH without any of the mods or replacement tarps?

Images
    I do on occasion, but mostly I use at least a larger tarp. I had my suspension modified for a trip to the Olympics a year ago, plus I had a Mac Cat deluxe tarp. But I needed my cinch buckles and webbing for other hammocks, so I just put it back to stock condition.

But on my first trip using a hammock, 3 Septembers back, I used a HH UL Exp with the SS. It was all bone stock. Except for a miserable first night ( cold and ignorant of how to make the SS work), all was fine and I had a week of the most comfortable nights I ever had in the woods. Plus I was warm after the first night.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthiker View Post
    Is there anyone who uses the stock HH without any of the mods or replacement tarps?
    That's all I've used for two years. I have never had a significant issue with comfort, cold or setup, primarily because, like you, I read a lot about how to use a HH on this forum.

Now I've cut the suspension lines 20" from the hammock for rings (10" needed for clove hitch topped with half hitch & seizing), and this weekend I'll pack it up and ship it to 2Q/ZQ for the #2 Mod Bugnet Zipper.

When I buy another hammock, it will be a Blackbird.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hey Ghosthiker,
    Great to hear you have a Hennessy Hammock!

I have a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym. It is my first and only hammock I have ever had. I recently had the #2 Bugnet Zipper Mod installed by ZQ. But, for the most part I use mine all stock Hennessy Hammock. I use the original HH tree huggers and have not modified my suspension lines or anything. I do use carabiners to attach the suspension lines to and then hook the carabiners to the tree huggers.

Mostly, I use the small, original HH brown silnylon diamond shape tarp that came with my HH ULBP Asym. I also have the HH Fly Tensioner and Water Collection System. This is a really nice accessory. If it is nice out, I won't use the tarp and just stare at the stars. I will even use this tarp into the +20's* F. I still use the bottom entry of my HH. I had the #2 Bugnet zipper mod installed so that I can use a Speer PeaPod with my HH in colder temps. But, the #2 zipper mod is nice to lay in the hammock and access any items stored below you on the ground or have the option of a top entry.

I do have an oversized OES "Custom" Tarp/Tent and a "Custom" Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter for hammocking in subzero temps. A review and pics on that can be seen here...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6555
    I have found this to work exceptionally well in cold temps and fits perfectly with my HH, of course. Unless it's extremely cold, a heavy snow or heavy rainstorm, or strong winds, I will use the original HH brown silnylon diamond shape tarp.

But, for the most part, I use my HH ULBP Asym completely stock, besides the #2 Bugnet Zipper Mod by 2Q and ZQ (I am now very fond of). I still think the HH ULBP Asym is the best hammock for me. I am always very comfortable in it and it is very lightweight in my pack. I have read a lot about the Warbonnet Black Bird and would like to try it out some day. I'm not sure which hammock will weigh less and be more compact. But, I do like the option of having the bottom entry (Warbonnet BB does not) and have found many uses to this, especially if I hang my hammock a little bit higher off the ground than usual, making top loading entry more difficult (with the #2 zipper mod).

Hope this helps and happy hammocking!!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have the HH ULBP Asym, and often use the stock configuration. For a weekend hike, it's perfect. For longer trips, I bring a larger tarp for the sheltered living space, but not for the weather protection - it's worth the extra weight, and it's an option. I frequently see comments on this and other forums that the stock tarp is useless, and I disagree - it has kept me perfectly dry in some very nasty weather.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Before I knew any better I thru'd the AT with ath stock ULBA. I ony got wet once with the tiny tarp and that was because of some teenagers having a rave in the middle of the woods and a lot of yeunglings. My wife still uses the stock setup and my hiking partner does also.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthiker View Post
    Is there anyone who uses the stock HH without any of the mods or replacement tarps?
    I use the stock HH with no mods whatsoever, down into some very extreme conditions. The only thing I've changed out so far is I did buy some of the longer straps and added snakeskins and the SS.

I don't use any cinch buckles, etc. Still tie the HH lash.

I occasionally attach one end of the stock tarp directly to a tree instead of the prusik if it looks like its going to be windy.

I use the SS on all trips, augmenting the insulation with a SB for 3-season, additional stuff when it gets colder.

Before next summer I will likely buy a bigger tarp, not because the stock fly is inadequate, but solely for group situations where buddies can gather under my large tarp instead of lugging an additional group shelter for cooking, etc.

Its easy to get caught up in the "mod mania" of this forum. So far I have elected to focus my energy on hiking rather than DIY hammock mods. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those that do, it looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure it pays off. Its just a question of what you like to do.

I also like the light weight, simplicity and robustness of the stock configuration. Not much that can go wrong: no buckles, no zippers, fewer stakes/guylines...

--Kurt

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a stock HH. I also use another small tarp (6x6?) to put at the foot end if it is raining. Or use the small tarp on the ground to keep dirt off my feet. I have not had the need for a bigger tarp. Though when I went on a trip with blowing rain I cinched the sides down tight around me.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

• + New Posts