WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

ridge runner mods?

Just wondering what mods you guys are doing to your ridge runner hammock?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have not modded it yet, but here is what I am thinking about doing:

1. experiment with a shortened suspension triangle by replacing the dogbones with shorter ones. Acer said he shortened his with good results.

2. figure out a way to make my current hiking poles work as spreader bars or replace my current hiking poles with ones that could do it. (currently use an older set of BD countours. Brandon said that you need to use the straight handles for this, so I will have to get inventive.)

3. replace the current suspension (adjustable webbing) with something lighter that still has a short minimum hang distance. whoopies and UCR's are most likely out, since they increase the minimum hang distance. Maybe I will fool around with Single Ring Suspension. At the very least, I will be waiting for dutch to put out a Ti cinch buckle. You could remove the stock d ring, continuous loop, and descender triangles and larks head a cinch buckle directly to the dogbones, thereby reducing your minimum hang distance by 8" or so.

4. I will be replacing all the cord locks with lighter, smaller models.

5. I will be replacing the stuff sack with cuben.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mad goat View Post
    I have not modded it yet, but here is what I am thinking about doing:

1. experiment with a shortened suspension triangle by replacing the dogbones with shorter ones. Acer said he shortened his with good results.

2. figure out a way to make my current hiking poles work as spreader bars or replace my current hiking poles with ones that could do it. (currently use an older set of BD countours. Brandon said that you need to use the straight handles for this, so I will have to get inventive.)

3. replace the current suspension (adjustable webbing) with something lighter that still has a short minimum hang distance. whoopies and UCR's are most likely out, since they increase the minimum hang distance. Maybe I will fool around with Single Ring Suspension. At the very least, I will be waiting for dutch to put out a Ti cinch buckle. You could remove the stock d ring, continuous loop, and descender triangles and larks head a cinch buckle directly to the dogbones, thereby reducing your minimum hang distance by 8" or so.

4. I will be replacing all the cord locks with lighter, smaller models.

5. I will be replacing the stuff sack with cuben.
    Good ideas here, although I didn't mod the suspension triangle. SRS works well with this setup.

I've also seen a few folks at a shock cord ridgeline above things. Just enough to hang glasses, small light, etc. on.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Just wondering what mods you guys are doing to your ridge runner hammock?
    Acer did some to his. When he sees this he will respond
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Acer's mod. Dudorino's mod. Hiking pole spreader bar.

I have:

Replaced the suspension triangles and aluminum triangles with Dynaglide and Dutch biners to make installing/removing the Spindrift easier.

Replaced the WB "cinch" buckles with a Dutch cinch buckle.

Added a light duty ridgeline inside the bug net to hang a light and glasses.

Another on topic thread
    Last edited by gmcttr; 01-18-2013 at 12:40.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I saw Falkniven's thread about UCRs today and they seem like a pretty great way of lightening up the suspension on the RR, anybody tried it? I didn't like whoopies becuase of the length issue.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    I saw Falkniven's thread about UCRs today and they seem like a pretty great way of lightening up the suspension on the RR, anybody tried it? I didn't like whoopies becuase of the length issue.
    Both would work just fine. However a UCR has the same "length issue" or more than a whoopie sling. The minimum length of both are determined by the combined length of the fixed eye bury and the constrictor bury.

If anything, the constrictor bury on a UCR would benefit from being longer due to only being tensioned from one end.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Last week,,I got the bug again,,and dug out all the 7/64 amsteel suspension pieces of different lengths, trying to shorten the suspension more than what its set at now..and went thru the squirrelie period of laying in it and 37.5 inches is the shortest I can be stable in it with the amsteel at this length,,making my RL without laying in it, 12' 2" from dutch beiner to dutch beiner (as I cut the buckels off that the suspension was attached to my whoopies). Its perfect for me at these lengths and I can get the whole thing under either of my 12' cuben tarps as I lay in it..but,,took the 4 inch head spreader bar attachment out as that is what Brandon recommended if you were shortening the head end. Just got some hiking pole end pieces from Brandon and going to see how they fit my hiking poles. One thing I really really like about using hiking poles is the versatitiy of being able to shorten the foot end if you wanted, or adjusting the head spreader any way you want it as the adjustment of the hiking poles lets you. I have my hiking pole at the head end set at 36" wide and I enjoy it that way, and can shorten it more if I want. Under a cuben tarp in very bad weather, I can see, shortening it more to get the tarp sides narrower and closer to the ground if need be. I haven't tried the head hiking pole at 39.5" wide at the head end but I dont see a problem with it set at that with this shorter suspension either. Will test it out at that length and get back to everybody.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Brandon's hiking pole tips are very well made and da bomb. Works perfect on my hiking poles and fits super nice. Just wanted to comment on them. Total weight however is 1.3 oz. and will have to be careful packing them as I see if you drop them in the leaves or woods, your liable to loose them.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have replaced the stock suspension with short, 32 inch tree straps and Dynaglide whoopies. I am putting together some Dynaglide dog bones. I replaced the triangles with Camp biners (they are 3/4 ounce each), but I think I might change that to soft shackles (6 grams each). This is mostly because I like to put up my tree straps first, then the hammock and also to make installing a spindrift faster and easier. I am replacing the head-end spreader bar with a modified Gossamer Gear light trek 4. The Light trek is too long to use to replace the foot end spreader bar (just the top part of the pole is longer than the spreader bar by about 3/4 inch).

So far with only a few of my mods, I have the weight around 18 ounces, not including the foot end spreader bar. I think I will have to use 6 foot Whoopie slings with the short tree straps. On my last test hang, the 4 foot whoopies were maxed out. If the trees had been larger and I needed to make up the circumference difference with the whoopie sling, they would have been too short. Trees were around 16 feet apart.

Doncha just love modifying stuff

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast