Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silnylon tarp edge/ strongest reinforcements

Hey Tarp coming out great ill have some pics soon, but i been reading alot of articles on building the tarps and half of them say there way is better for reinforcements.
    1) sew the material 2"away from edge, then hem up and sew into the fabric

OR

2) hem the edge then sew that bad boy right on it????

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    All of mine are hemmed, then patch sewn on. Knock on wood - nothing has ripped or torn in 5+ years.

Ok thanks that what u think I'm going to do. I'm at that point in the project I'm 50/50, just trying to make the best possible decision. Have lot of time and effort in It plus bold lol.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I cut pieces of cordura and rolled the seam including the cordura.

So stalker42 you put pices on the edge and roles it with the seam. Hmm my min is blown now lol

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yep. I hemmed the exposed edges for looks and left the outside edges raw then rolled them when i did the seams. I would post a pic but i am not on my home computer. I think i have a pic in my gallery if you click on my name.

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    This turned into more of a complete guide. To answer your question...including the patch material in the hem will add strength at the expense of a miniscule amount of extra weight.
    If you want to keep reading my stream of consciousness tie-out guide here it is:

Shapes to use: Use either circles and triangles...rectangles are a terrible choice. Triangles are good for selecting where force is transferred to and circles are good for spreading out force evenly. Here's how you can this your advantage:

Triangles are best for reinforced points where all 3 triangle corners touch a seam or hem. Ideal places would be corners and ridgeline/edge intersections because then the force gets transferred to the seam/hem, which is far stronger than the fabric itself.

Circles should be used anywhere that a triangle would not have all 3 points on a seam/hem. Ideal places would be a wall/middle (used to pull the walls out and provide more room) or hem/edge as the arc of the circle will spread out the force evenly across the fabric.

Stitching the reinforcement:

How do you sew them on for strength? You add the reinforcement before you hem the edge...this helps transfer the forces directly into the hemmed edge. I've used the other methods as well without them failing but hemming the reinforcement patch is going to help more than not. Also, the majority of your stitching should be ON the seam/hem the patch is next do (if it's a middle/wall patch this does not apply)

This final bit is just my opinion and up for debate:

Stitching triangles -- You should limit sewing the actual patches to just securing it to the tarp...for triangles just make sure every edge is sewn in (nothing flags around. The force is already diverted away from the fabric and transferred into the seams so adding more holes (stitching) is likely to hurt more than help).
    Stitching circles -- again, stitch around the perimeter. If you want a little more insurance, go in an inch or so and stitch around it again.
    * Reasoning for this is that I see a lot of people go crazy with stitching their reinforcements...sometimes to the point where it weakens the patch/fabric.

Lastly patch sizes:
    4" diameter circles when I'm not on an edge
    8" diameter circles if I'm on an edge (technically I add an inch of flat material to thickest part so I end up with a 8" half circle after I hem the edge)
    12" rectangles cut in half for the triangles.

This is all just preference but it's worked well for me.

Hope that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jordo_99; 01-17-2013 at 13:07. Reason: Added a picture

Thank you so much makes it clear now. Yaa

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Thank you for the information, I am just starting on a tarp, and I have too many ideas. You have helped me get back on track, to keep, some of my brilliant ideas, to myself......I think I will run into trouble if I get too fancy. Great job and thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    One other helpful "mod" to a triangular reinforcement patch is cut an arc out of the "fabric side" (side of the triangle not running along a seam or edge). This would be done to help transfer the force to the corners of the triangle, which then transfers force into the hems/seams of the tarp. I also think it looks slightly better. (see picture)

I'm in the process of finishing up a DIY tent (very similar to a Nemo Meta 2) and I'll be sure to document the whole process of how I do reinforcements with pictures/etc along the way. Once I have it completed I'll create a dedicated thread for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast