Bad night for hanging

Some nights you're just not meant to be out there.

I was super keen to get out back and try a second night in my WBRR and cloud burst tarp because it was new and because it had started raining.
    I love nothing more than a hang in the rain.
    So I stuff down my dinner, grabbed my tablet. phone and torch and off I went.
    I was a bit windy and the rain was mild but when I went to jump in I noticed a wet patch at the head end. The light outside was failing but it was still bright enough for me to look up and see this

Less, than 24 hours old and my prized CB had let me down. I was glad at this point I was in my back yard
    Yes it had been windy but not enough in my mind to cause this. The tarp was appropriately tensioned and I had to tighten it when I went out to remove some slack from it due to it being up during the day from the night before which I spent under it (no rain) .
    I don't know what has happened. If someone has seen this before can you please shed some light on it.
    Is it a fault in the material that was not obvsious until placed under tension and its just seperated.

You can see it's near the ring used for the bug net of the RR which was attached. The material seems to have torn along this line

That seem to the left looks like it might be a bit iffy too. In that last shot you can see the tab from the bug net tie out point.

The only ideas I have is the weak point in the material or the ring was possibly rubbing on this point during transit. As it is all but in the exact spot where the ring touched if laid out. The ring wouldn't have touched it whilst up as the net was attached and it was pulling straight down.

So what's your opinions?
    Is it a fault and I should approach Brandon or is it a case of sucking it up.
    I know it's a delicate tarp but I expected more than 24 hours out of it :

To add insult to injury I stuck up my big daddy up over the top of the CB to avoid the RR getting wet before I removed the CB but I still managed to get soaked in the process.
    Anyway new tarp up, old one down and a new set of dry clothes and off I went again . Not as happy but still keen.
    Ah, this is what I'm talking about I says to me, but hey, what's that drip every now and then.
    Let's just say, seam seal your big daddy ridge line.
    Not happy I climb out and go in search of my cheapo tarp but this time I pull the hammock down and take it inside quilts and all to avoid wet down etc.
    Big daddy successfully pulled down and I notice the ridge line tie out on my cheapy tarp is buggered .
    I manage to jerry rig the tie out and on heading back in to the house for my second set of dry clothes I step in a wet dog turd.

'THAT'S F&^KING IT' I say to myself and anyone with in ear shot.

I can take a warning when it comes my way. There were some nice lightning storms about, so maybe that's why I was sent inside by the hammock gods.
    Who knows.
    So let me know what you think..

cheers Brett

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wow! I'm sure a better night won't be far away. sorry about your night!
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Wow - not something you want to happen again! I can't really see all that well (made worse by a small phone) but it certainly looks like rub wear to me. From what and how - have no idea. Thankfully if it isn't large it should patchable and you'll have its first memory!scar!

Edit: in that first shot - is that the ridgeline?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Did you check for new limbs on the ground? A falling object seems like the most likely explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Edit: in that first shot - is that the ridgeline?
    yes it is. It's the centre lint of the tarp.
    So just off to the side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Did you check for new limbs on the ground? A falling object seems like the most likely explanation.
    It's in the back yard, nothing in the vicinity to fall on it.

This why I'm puzzled with it.

How do you patch something like that? As in what sort of material/glue etc?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Seems I was confused by where the rip occurred. Up by the ridgeline seems such an odd place. But for some reason it looks like a rub to me still. However. In that first picture, I'm not so sure. You can at least send Brandon the pictures. If anything he can repair it.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts