Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Banjoman, don't over do it on the insulation, which can cause you to sweat and this will defeat the whole purpose. I would start out with the basics and add from there if you get cold. Keep it handy so you don't have to go through a lot of fuss to add to your insulation.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    well, I'm a hanging newb. I just did my second hanging weekend over the holiday weekend. I have the classic HH Expedition. I only had my thermarest and a 0 degree Marmot sleeping bag.

The first night (in the 30s), I started out with the zipper half way and by the end of the night it was 3/4 zipped up. I did notice a bit of cold butt syndrome but not uncomfortable. I only wore a silk thermal underwear shirt and underwear.

Sunday night was cold. It was in the mid to upper 20's. same setup, thermarest pad under me. I was in the zero degree sleeping bag (almost completely zipped up). This time though, I had a couple of hand warmers, one under the buttocks and the other with my feet (it worked its way down to the low point). I wore socks with liners, silk thermal underwear shirt and my underwear. Except for my throat totally drying out, I was very comfortable and warm.

I was worried about staying warm but it went very well. The more I hang, the more I love it and went to get my family into it.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks Bajahanger, I'll keep that in mind and try to start with less insulation in the beginning. Your input, along with dchrismer's report has altered my thinking a little. I'm probably overreacting, but I've never used a hammock in the winter, and I know that I can get chilly even in the summer nights. I'll be packing hand-warmers too and will definitely be using them. None of my gear is suited for temps below 35F, so I what I've done while tent-camping in the past is layer things.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The JRB Nest, the original UQ, solid performance to 25-30*, was actually introduced before the Super Shelter...Its warmer brother the JRB Winter Nest debuted 5 years ago and is a solid performer to 0-5* with no need for additional items like space blankets , etc.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH hyperlight
    Tarp
    JRB Cat/Cuban Cat
    Insulation
    MW4UQ/Leighlo 2/3
    Suspension
    Whoop/Nacra/Dutch

Both work

I have been retrying the Super Shelter again lately after using the Mount Washington-4 under-quilt for some time. I kind of blew the SS off at first, because of the space blanket handling. But now I am retrying the SS; it is lighter and less bulky and seems to do as well. (34F., 20mph winds last weekend.) The Undercover is great at blocking wind, but I think it is necessary to have the space blanket to block condensation from forming in any insulation (it was bad with the UC/MW4 combo). (By the way the reflectex bubble pad one company sells was useless for its bulk.) SS has the advantage in wet conditions I think.

As far as bottom entry, I have an easier time with the under-quilt; just push it aside. (Never understood the minimal advantage of the Nest.) I have 2Q zippers in both HHs and use them for all winter camps, but prefer bottom entry when buggy.

I have a backup that I haven't been able to leave at home for any cold weather camping...a short Neoair. It doesn't weigh much, has great R-values, and is a bit of a heater if you inflate it with your breath just before using. It's my training wheels and go-to-ground option (...if I break both my legs or go insane for example.)

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

Summer setup??

Great information here for cold weather, but what is your recommendation for summer temps? Specifically, I just ordered the HH Explorer Deluxe with UC/pad from HH. At what temperature will I want to eliminate the pad b/c of too hot? Do you ever remove the UC because of heat - if so what temp?

Thanks for helping the noobs.... great information and sharing here.

Cheers.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    You'll pretty much have to find out what works the best for you personally. Myself, I typically stop using the space blanket as part of the under insulation around 45F or so...and remove the whole under insulation setup entirely around 70F.

But, I still tend to sleep in/on a sleeping bag in the hammock. Using a TQ setup can change that I'm sure.

My personal suggestion is to take too much insulation with you on a CAR camping trip or backyard setup...and practice in that kind of environment until you know what you want at the various temps you're likely to encounter.

Practice from the safety of Ft Livingroom first. That'll help you figure out what you'll need in the field.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You'll pretty much have to find out what works the best for you personally. Myself, I typically stop using the space blanket as part of the under insulation around 45F or so...and remove the whole under insulation setup entirely around 70F.

But, I still tend to sleep in/on a sleeping bag in the hammock. Using a TQ setup can change that I'm sure.

My personal suggestion is to take too much insulation with you on a CAR camping trip or backyard setup...and practice in that kind of environment until you know what you want at the various temps you're likely to encounter.

Practice from the safety of Ft Livingroom first. That'll help you figure out what you'll need in the field.
    Thanks for the guidelines.... will start the backyard benchmarking this weekend!

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Benjamon, I say overdo it with insulation if thats possible in the teens, remove layers when not needed. Also to be smart you really need to test an overnight before going out and actually doing it that way you can see what works with the safety of home. I have done 2 winter outings and with the underquilt and a major heavy down bag i never sweat but being toasty and comfy in a hammock is bliss.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    the project im working on right now is converting a survivor bottom entry into a bottom entry bridge. It will be a confy and lighter,somwhere around 20 oz. There will be two bed 1 bath with a closet,no im not kidding, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast