Tarp
    Stock asym and Hex
    Insulation
    None for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies

SS or UQ best for HH bottom entry?

Hmmmm...Not meant to be coded!

I know a lot of things are subject to personal preference, but is there a more popular, or better choice for a bottom entry HH?

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I am not happy with the fiddle factor of using the bottom entry or birth canal. I am goint to go it a UQ, it is just one thing to adjust. With my supershelter undercover, I have the undercover, the pad, the space blanket, which is now tied onto the underpad, which is sort of delicate. I am sure with a little practice a normal person could manage entry just fine. My shoulders dislocate, plus I have a computer in one shoulder. I do not want to fiddle with my kit, I just want to set it up and climb in, I do not want to pull this or that to get it all sorted out. I am happy with how my Supershelter keeps me warm, however, I cut the bug net off my hennessy, I did not use the birth canal, I climbed in the top, my daughter adjusted the SuperShelter under pad and space blanket for me. I do not want her to have to help me in the future. For me with my limitations I will be using a Under Quilt with a splatter guard in the future.

Really personal preference is the key. I think it is BillyBob54???knows alot about the HH SS he would be the best source to help you decide what you want to use for your needs.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can't speak to the SS but can speak to the JRB Nest. I put one on my HH and could not be happier. No fiddle factor for me and I do use the bottom entry. Due to mobility issues it is the only hammock I have been able to manage alone. I have used the Nest down to 30F and been most happy with it.

Images
    Well, there must be a thousand threads on this very subject. Probably best to just search it, but here are a few to get you started:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=58158

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38352

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50988

Comes down to this: I am somewhat of a fan for 6 years now (though I also really like my UQs and Pea Pod) and I find the system to have close to zero fiddle factor once I have it installed per HH directions. Though I do prefer a side entry or No Net HH so that I can adjust any clothing I might add below with ease. I find it competitively warm for it's weight and cost, and though not as compressible as an 800 fp down UQ, it is more so than a synthetic UQ and way more than a CCF pad. And I do not have condensation issues with it, and love how it is the ONLY system which includes significant wind and moisture block as part of the basic system. Good for me in the 30s, way lower by adding clothing or other insulation.

Others feel more like Hurtheart as far as fiddle factor, and some are not warm enough and some have significant condensation issues. You can read here till you are blue in the face, but many will like it and many won't, and you will never really know until you try it yourself.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Standard + HH HEx
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Standard+Figure9
    The SS with the bottom entry is fine. You get it set up and then just slip in. Easy! It is an insultation system designed for the hammock. Fits great, works well. No problem. IMHO.
    --------------
    who? me?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Everything changes - so plan for change....

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm very happy with the SS. I also like the bottom entry. I plan to buy the Winter Nest for winter camping, but the SS worked well down to -2C so far. Before the SS I was using a OCF pad and reflective bubble pad. There was a fair amount of fiddling to get it under you and keep it there. Now I just slide the pad into the SS, attach to the stakes, and crawl in. No more having anything to move around. It only adds about 45 seconds to a minute to setup time.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    The Nest works great on my HH Expedition Bottom Entry and also works well with my DIY. It will get me down to about 30. With a pad added I can go lower. I have no experience with the SS.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Images
    I've used the SS and UQ on both bottom entry and zip models.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I am strongly considering going back to the SS on my Explorer. I have never been cold when using one and the curiosity of how low could I go is eating at me. And it would give me another usable hammock so I could loan one out. Kinda wishing I had not sold mine now....
    Maybe ill start looking for a deal on one next week.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 01-22-2013 at 17:54.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I'm camping this weekend, and Friday night it is supposed to get into the teens. I'll be using my SS for the first time, and will be bringing everything but the kitchen sink to stay warm (including my tent, as a final fallback option). I'll be car camping so my pickup will be loaded with gear . I wish I had the patience to slowly add pieces onto my system, but I know that I won't want to mess with it when it will be so cold so I'll probably pile it all on/in/around. The next night, it is supposed to be mid 20's so I might play a little bit with it. I'll let you know how I think it performed.

I also have a AHE Jarbidge, which will be part of my insulation plans somehow... either shoved inside the SS or one of my top insulation layers. Does anyone have a suggestion for best use of the Jarbidge in this situation? I'll be bringing several sleeping bags to use as top/bottom/around insulation too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast