Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    You absolutely rock.
    Gonna rock the woods. Thanks BEAS

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Stay warm and have a great time!
    Next time explain how you keep track of your dozen or more bags. This my perennial problem...I need a bit of cord. OK, that's in the ditty bag I think. Dang! Where did I put that ditty bag? Or did I stick the cord in the hammocking gear bag????
    Grizz
    I just hope for the best and try to remember them. I also name them ... black small bag is Larry, medium black bag is Greg ... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Excellent! And I thought I was tough to brave weather in the teens!
    Really enjoy your videos - keep 'em coming.
    Teens is cold. Cold is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    Looks good!
    I think i have to watch the piece when you go through your gear about ten times to get it all
    That sled, is that modified kid thing?
    Yes the sled is a kids sled. Added 3/4 inch PVC poles ...1/2 inch proved a bit "bendy" ... I ran Amsteel down through the PVC then around the whole sled weaving through drilled holes. The cord goes up through the poles and back down the outside. You can see the Gorilla tape holding it against the PVC. I can get it right tight that way then knot it off. clip in biners .... made the harness from an old pack. Good to go....

Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi Shug
    Love the video, good work as useal. A couple of questions if I may.
    That weight of 38lbs is that with the sled attached to the ula or just the pack weight?
    I don't want to question "how you row your boat" but you seem to have some duplication going on with your stoves. You have your tinny stove plus the whisper light. I wonder why you would carry both?
    Cheers
    Gunn
    The 38lbs is just the pack ... the sled is 4 lbs.
    As to the stove .... I bring the alky lightweight stove from Tinny just for fixing breakfast from my hammock in the morning without ever leaving the bag. A real TREAT! I am not comfortable firing up the MSR stove in the tarp ... flare ups and cold steel.... ahhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by spotz View Post
    "Mark the Match" is it the cold winters or something in the water? great sutff, Looking forward to the post trip report.
    It is a combination of cold, lead in water, excitement and I am just a Doof that hate boredom.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Yes the sled is a kids sled. Added 3/4 inch PVC poles ...1/2 inch proved a bit "bendy" ... I ran Amsteel down through the PVC then around the whole sled weaving through drilled holes. The cord goes up through the poles and back down the outside. You can see the Gorilla tape holding it against the PVC. I can get it right tight that way then knot it off. clip in biners .... made the harness from an old pack. Good to go.....
    COOL!
    I have always been amazed at the prizes on a real sled.
    I'm gonna steal that idea shamelessly

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Another great vid, Shug! Maybe you'll find your way down to St. Alphonso's on your trek. If so, say hi to Father O'blivion for me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hey Shug! I feel honored! Thanks for feeding the gear beast in me. But seriously your cold weather posts and videos are helping me start up cold weather hiking and camping. Appreciate the shout out and entertainment! Great stuff! More, more, (the gear beastie is never satisfied for long . . .)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yo Shug....thanks for the timely advice. What a coincidence! Three of my fellow hammocking friends have badgered me into joing them for a winter hang/backpacking trip in upstate NY in another week. Keep in mind I am NOT a cold weather camper...I repeat....NOT a cold weather camper. Nontheless...I have very reluctantly agreed to join them in this misadventure. I have, as you might have guessed, insisted on a few basic parameters to insure a pleasant experience. First off the cars must be parked within 300' of said campsite, chainsaws will be available for the gathering of the wood, a Vermont cart will be available for carrying in my essential warm weather clothing...space heater....beer...kindling etc.

If you need any further advice regarding gear or site selection....fire away. As you can see I am an expert in the field of winter camping.

Miguel (fellow winter hanging devotee)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Yo Shug....thanks for the timely advice. What a coincidence! Three of my fellow hammocking friends have badgered me into joing them for a winter hang/backpacking trip in upstate NY in another week. Keep in mind I am NOT a cold weather camper...I repeat....NOT a cold weather camper. Nontheless...I have very reluctantly agreed to join them in this misadventure. I have, as you might have guessed, insisted on a few basic parameters to insure a pleasant experience. First off the cars must be parked within 300' of said campsite, chainsaws will be available for the gathering of the wood, a Vermont cart will be available for carrying in my essential warm weather clothing...space heater....beer...kindling etc.

If you need any further advice regarding gear or site selection....fire away. As you can see I am an expert in the field of winter camping.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Where is the generator and barcalounger in your list?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Keep 'em coming, Shug! You are an entertainer! I'm looking forward to the video trip report.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Shug: What were you holding up at 7:57? It kind of looked like a sling shot, but I couldn't understand you, and you only held it up for a second.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Great info Shug! Looks like you are all ready to go.
    All set, locked and loaded!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    COOL!
    I have always been amazed at the prizes on a real sled.
    I'm gonna steal that idea shamelessly
    Hey ... I did not make it up.... I saw the idea years a go. It is going to be -22ºF Monday night and -24ºF Tuesday night with daytime highs -2º.. Whoooo

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Another great vid, Shug! Maybe you'll find your way down to St. Alphonso's on your trek. If so, say hi to Father O'blivion for me.
    I will give Him a hug as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Hey Shug! I feel honored! Thanks for feeding the gear beast in me. But seriously your cold weather posts and videos are helping me start up cold weather hiking and camping. Appreciate the shout out and entertainment! Great stuff! More, more, (the gear beastie is never satisfied for long . . .)
    Loving the cold camping ....but ya' gotta here in MN.
    I hope to feed the Beast again sometime!

Man Miguel ....that made me chortle..... Have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Keep 'em coming, Shug! You are an entertainer! I'm looking forward to the video trip report.
    Looking forward to seeing how long my batteries last.......

Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Shug: What were you holding up at 7:57? It kind of looked like a sling shot, but I couldn't understand you, and you only held it up for a second.
    Those were my YakTrax...... Hey, I need a slingShot.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast