wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    this forum is awesome!! I have learned so much and have been inspired to take on projects that i never would have before.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I don't hesitate to ask my share of questions (not really knowing if they are in the "dumb" category or not!), -- because I figure, that is how I'm going to learn what I don't yet know.

Some people use search engines to find their answers instead of asking repeat questions and cluttering up the forums. That's how most forums work and it's the reason people get ridiculed elsewhere. Most forums don't tolerate laziness, the threads are closed and people are told to search. Almost every single question you have has been asked and answered multiple times already. This is the first forum I've been involved with, and I've been on forums for years, that allows the same questions over and over and over again.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Some people use search engines to find their answers instead of asking repeat questions and cluttering up the forums. That's how most forums work and it's the reason people get ridiculed elsewhere. Most forums don't tolerate laziness, the threads are closed and people are told to search. Almost every single question you have has been asked and answered multiple times already. This is the first forum I've been involved with, and I've been on forums for years, that allows the same questions over and over and over again.
    There's a lot to learn about hammock camping, and part of learning something is learning it well enough to pass the information along to someone else. I don't mind seeing questions come up again because I enjoy seeing the community grow as ex-newbies help supply information to those that come after them. I don't think we are beset by people too lazy to search, either. You'll have noticed, though, that often an answer includes directions that point the questioner towards a fruitful avenue of search. Another reason that repeat questions are good is that the answers are changing pretty fast. We are making the future of hammock camping. Think of how nice it is to have people who understand what you're talking about, are willing to listen, willing to learn, and willing to ask and answer questions.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I agree with the above replies and would like to add. Become a donating member and enjoy the non-hammock related discussions. Same great people and more things to discuss. The food recipes alone are worth $10/year
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    There's a lot to learn about hammock camping, and part of learning something is learning it well enough to pass the information along to someone else. I don't mind seeing questions come up again because I enjoy seeing the community grow as ex-newbies help supply information to those that come after them. I don't think we are beset by people too lazy to search, either. You'll have noticed, though, that often an answer includes directions that point the questioner towards a fruitful avenue of search. Another reason that repeat questions are good is that the answers are changing pretty fast. We are making the future of hammock camping. Think of how nice it is to have people who understand what you're talking about, are willing to listen, willing to learn, and willing to ask and answer questions.
    I agree with most of that. I just feel, a lot of times, we enable people to be lazy by spoon feeding them. People are getting more lazy by the second. No one wants to do any of the ground work these days, they want everything laid out for them. I enjoy finding things and figuring out stuff on my own. A couple Google searches and I have more than enough hits to figure out how to get going. I'm speaking more in general than specific to this forum. I'm all for helping out and providing a little guidance but I think people need to do a little work on their own. It drives me insane to see the same simple questions asked over and over. I mean, do a search, try a couple things, and decide what works for ya. If you've exhausted all avenues, and are still stumped, then ask for help. The thing is, if you do nothing, don't search, don't try at all, I am not inclined to offer any help. Does that seem irrational to anyone? Am I the only one who feels a sense of pride in being able to accomplish something on my own?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Does that seem irrational to anyone?
    What is irrational to you on a personal level, and what works for the good of a forum overall aren't necessarily the same thing.

On a number of occasions we've seen big new ideas and progressions of old ones by a question being asked (again) in a new way. Or a fresh idea brought up by someone who is answering a 'standard' question with a new take on things. Plus, as WV pointed out, some people learn things best by going over the topic and explaining it to someone else.

We actually think it's a good thing that HF isn't run like many other forums.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    What is irrational to you on a personal level, and what works for the good of a forum overall aren't necessarily the same thing.

On a number of occasions we've seen big new ideas and progressions of old ones by a question being asked (again) in a new way. Or a fresh idea brought up by someone who is answering a 'standard' question with a new take on things. Plus, as WV pointed out, some people learn things best by going over the topic and explaining it to someone else.

Yeah, it's definitely one of a kind! I'm just use to locking and merges as it helps narrow down on Google hits and make them more useful.

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think it is a wonderful thing!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    It's crazy how well informed everyone around here seems to be. I'm loving all the information. My wallet and my wife however....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast