DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

CA>Berryessa/TBD>Feb 8-10 - Feelers put out for Northern CA hang, open to suggestions

Hey all, I'm just putting out some feelers to see how many would be interested in getting together a Northern California hang for this spring or summer.
    I'm thinking of somewhere near the I-80 corridor so as to make it easy to access for as many as possible. However, I know the Sacramento valley isn't very conducive to camping/hanging ventures.
    My favorite places to hang are near Lake Berryessa, Point Reyes, and of course the Sierras.
    If we look at setting it up for sooner, rather than later I would say Berryessa or Point Reyes would give us the best turnout as well as better(more bearable) weather conditions. If we head towards Point Reyes I would need to reserve specific sites that are hospitable to hammocks. If we head towards Lake Berryessa I think our options would be pretty open as it would be dispersed camping but there is limited parking space at the trailhead and may require some carpooling.

If you all wanted to set something up for later in the spring the sierras may also be a viable option.

So, let's hear it!
    Who's in?
    What dates work for you?
    Where do you hail from, and how far are you willing to drive for a group hang?
    What temps/weather conditions are you prepared to encounter?

Also, something to keep in the back of your minds, I am going to look into getting a group site at D.L. Bliss state park at some point this summer in the hopes getting together a group hang at Lake Tahoe. I know those sites can get taken up pretty fast as soon as reservations become available. But I'll keep you all posted when I can get more definitive info on that.
    Last edited by THE DANGLER; 01-19-2013 at 16:31. Reason: just noticed thread naming convention post

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    Hey all, I'm just putting out some feelers to see how many would be interested in getting together a Northern California hang for this spring or summer.
    I'm thinking of somewhere near the I-80 corridor so as to make it easy to access for as many as possible. However, I know the Sacramento valley isn't very conducive to camping/hanging ventures.
    My favorite places to hang are near Lake Berryessa, Point Reyes, and of course the Sierras.
    If we look at setting it up for sooner, rather than later I would say Berryessa or Point Reyes would give us the best turnout as well as better(more bearable) weather conditions. If we head towards Point Reyes I would need to reserve specific sites that are hospitable to hammocks. If we head towards Lake Berryessa I think our options would be pretty open as it would be dispersed camping but there is limited parking space at the trailhead and may require some carpooling.

If you all wanted to set something up for later in the spring the sierras may also be a viable option.

So, let's hear it!
    Who's in?
    What dates work for you?
    Where do you hail from, and how far are you willing to drive for a group hang?
    What temps/weather conditions are you prepared to encounter?

Also, something to keep in the back of your minds, I am going to look into getting a group site at D.L. Bliss state park at some point this summer in the hopes getting together a group hang at Lake Tahoe. I know those sites can get taken up pretty fast as soon as reservations become available. But I'll keep you all posted when I can get more definitive info on that.
    I game. Nor cal, I'm good with anywhere. Hard to say what dates will work. Pick some and I can work around it. I like to bring my dog so national forests are better for me.

S.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Here's a pic of the signage that lists restrictions for the barryessa knoxville recreation area
    uploadfromtaptalk1358716482032.jpg
    Dogs ok (i've seen people hiking with them). Fires are not, propane heaters should be ok though(it will still be chilly in the evening). Lanterns for light in the evening would be a +.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm interested. Keep me updated. Thanks.....oh yeah are you bringing the brandy....

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I'm interested.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

google map

Check out this google map guys.
    http://goo.gl/maps/qt2oF
    The end spot is where I'd like to start hiking from. You can change the start point to get an estimate of how far of a drive it will be for you. I get off work at about 1 on Friday and I'll be heading over.
    I'm going to go for friday and saturday nights. Anybody else down for 2 nights?
    I'm looking to do some hiking on saturday, and possibly set up at another spot further down the trail, it'll depend on what the temperature is going to get to at night.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I'm about a 2 hour drive. This might be a little tight for me to plan. I can possible come out on Saturday for an overnighter. I would come Friday night but since I don't know the trail, I might not find it in the dark. I have to be back in town Sunday afternoon around 2pm, so I'll have to leave in the morning. How far down the trail will you be by Saturday night? What is the terrain like? water sources?

S

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

I'll stay right close

Hey sidewinder,
    if you're gonna come out on saturday I'll stay right close to the trailhead. You can get your stuff set up and we can head out for a day hike.
    I would recommend not driving out in the dark, the road can be sketchy in the dark, especially the first time you drive on it.
    Terrain is rolling hills, I haven't encountered anything too steep out there yet.
    No potable water source, I usually leave a gallon or so in my truck. Otherwise you have to purify from a nearby stream.

Hope to see you out there!

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    +1 on that area being sketchy to drive in the dark. Also, zero cellphone reception.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I may have to do some work but might be able to get away and check out the area while you're there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast