Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track
    Jeff: I am 6'1" and 230# and don't understand what you mean by the Downmat 9 causing one to lay higher in a hammock. According to the specs, the thickness is the same for both the 7 and 9 at 2.75" and I was leaning towards the deluxe model 9 which is 76 x 26 with a higher R value compared to 72 x 20 to give shoulder protection. If the Downmat 7 is a better fit and keep the center of gravity lower, I would get that rather than the Downmat 9. I have a couple of CCF pads I use for canoe camping and have used contact cement to add side pieces that has worked well and holds great. When using my Thermorest with the suppossed non-slip side, it still slips all over the place in a tent. Looks like I might be narrowing down my wish list to a Downmat and perhaps an overcover. Does the Downmat have a somewhat rough surface to resist sleeping bag sliding?

Your comment about rain/fog not being a problem is great and would save the hassle of additional gear.

Images
    The Downmat 7 is 7 cm (2.8 in) thick and the Downmat 9 is 9 cm (3.6 in) thick. The difference in thickness is why there is a difference in R value.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    FWIW, I would never go into cold weather without at least a torso sized CCF pad. I learned the hard way not to put all of my cold weather comfort eggs into the air mattress basket. The valve failed on mine one night and I was forced to get up and nighthike in order to stay warm. Even underquilts are not totally reliable. If your hammock were to let you down (i know, bad pun) with a suspension failure or if the body were to snag on something and rip, you're out of luck. With underquilts, insulation becomes unsulation if you are forced to sleep on top of it on the ground. I hike a lot alone so I try and prepare myself in case I am injured. What if I can't set up the hammock or am unable to walk at night to stay warm or to gather firewood? A small foam pad is cheap and relatively lightweight insurance.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    FWIW, I would never go into cold weather without at least a torso sized CCF pad. I learned the hard way not to put all of my cold weather comfort eggs into the air mattress basket. The valve failed on mine one night and I was forced to get up and nighthike in order to stay warm. Even underquilts are not totally reliable. If your hammock were to let you down (i know, bad pun) with a suspension failure or if the body were to snag on something and rip, you're out of luck. With underquilts, insulation becomes unsulation if you are forced to sleep on top of it on the ground. I hike a lot alone so I try and prepare myself in case I am injured. What if I can't set up the hammock or am unable to walk at night to stay warm or to gather firewood? A small foam pad is cheap and relatively lightweight insurance.
    That sounds like a smart game plan to me.

Images
    That is pretty much how I look at it, T-Back. So far, I have never gone on a trip without at least a minimal pad.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Count me among those that have very comfortably slept in the mid 20's with a cheap pad inside my hammock. Long johns, hat and a quality sleeping bag had me VERY warm and comfortable.

I certainly have far less experience than many here, and wouldn't presume to argue with them. It is generally conceded here that underquilts are a very warm and comfortable way to hang in cold temps. Pads seem to be less favored here, but many agree having a pad along is a good idea if unforeseen circumstances force you to 'go to ground'. I've also heard that people have used pads in varied ways (sit pad, wind screen for fires, etc) than a quilt would work for, which is another reason to have one along.

I bought a camo sleeping bag for the sole reason of making a underquilt, I just haven't gotten around to making it yet.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12