Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images

Nano-buginator performance issues

I have hammocked in some of the buggiest places in the world, and I have almost always used DL hammocks with an integrated bugnet. Over the last several years, my go-to has been a DIY 1.9 DL with a zip-off net. Bug problems have been negligible but it's a big and heavy rig. I needed to lighten my load for some recent multi-night kayak trips, so after much research on this forum, I finally decided on a BIAS weight-weenie micro with Nano buginator several weeks ago. I had no problem with the set-up during my first few nights out, but I was operating under relatively low mosquito loads. In the past two weeks, I've been sleeping under very heavy mosquito loads (thousands) and have experienced routine and complete bugnet failure, with several dozen to over a hundred mosquitoes finding their way inside the net during the night. There are no rips in the net and the end cords are cinched and wrapped tight with the shock cord, so the only possible entry point of is the bottom entry hole. I've tried using the net with the entry hole shock fully cinched, fully relaxed, and I even tried to plug the entry hole with my open sleeping bag. To make matters worse, the buggers are also able to bite through the net and hammock where they are pressed tight against my body. So, my question to you guys...is there something I'm doing wrong or is this evidence of the much-feared design flaw in "Fronkey-style" bugnets?

Here is one end of my hammock in the morning as I was undoing the end-cinch to release the horde. Both ends looked like this, and probably represented only 50% of what was actually inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC Double 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ouch, that looks pretty bad. Sorry I'm not able to help with advice, but I was curious if your bug net / hammock had a treatment of permethrin?

Hammock
    DH RAVEN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    STRAPS/ ANCHOR
    I haven't yet tried the stuff myself, but I wonder if treating both the hammock and net with Permethrin would help.

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    No permethrin. I'm a biologist who who works with amphibians and fish, so I avoid chemical repellents if at all possible. I would rather abandon the "fronkey style" bugnet and go back to the heavy DL hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    No permethrin. I'm a biologist who who works with amphibians and fish, so I avoid chemical repellents if at all possible. I would rather abandon the "fronkey style" bugnet and go back to the heavy DL hammock.
    Well, unless you're going to have amphibians and fish in your bugnet, it's a non-issue. I've been using Buginators and Nano-Buginators for a couple of years and haven't had a single mosquito in my net. Then again, I've never gone out with an untreated bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, unless you're going to have amphibians and fish in your bugnet, it's a non-issue. I've been using Buginators and Nano-Buginators for a couple of years and haven't had a single mosquito in my net. Then again, I've never gone out with an untreated bugnet.
    It's awfully disappointing that the bugnet doesn't function mechanically, but permethrin would be an obvious solution if I didn't have other hammock options. Because I work in extremely humid areas, my hammock is often damp -- is there no risk of transferring the chemical from the net to your hands?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    ... Because I work in extremely humid areas, my hammock is often damp -- is there no risk of transferring the chemical from the net to your hands?
    Do your own research for your particular considerations, but from all I've read from manufacturers, once initially dried, permethrin is bonded to the fabric fibers and wetting with water will not put it back into solution.

With our application methods, it is claimed to last through 6 washings and the action that reduces it's effectiveness is the mechanical agitation knocking it loose and not the water and detergents returning it into solution.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 05-15-2014 at 20:13.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Please, just get a zippered bug net, like the Wilderness Logics Bug Net, works well with 11' hammocks. Will give you piece of mind and less chemical.

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavus View Post
    Please, just get a zippered bug net, like the Wilderness Logics Bug Net, works well with 11' hammocks. Will give you piece of mind and less chemical.
    Nclarkii could sell the buginator here in the for sale section, and with a lil' more coin buy the Wilderness Logics bugnet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    Nclarkii could sell the buginator here in the for sale section, and with a lil' more coin buy the Wilderness Logics bugnet.
    I'll probably sell it, but if I'm going to fiddle with a zipper, I'll just go back to my DIY or my Hennessy Expedition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast