Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simply_light View Post

sew 2 pieces together along the edges giving you a tubular webbing that could slide over your regular 1" straps.

I couldn't find 3" tubular webbing by itself, or that would be an easier option.
    or just cut and seal a couple slits on each end and thread the 1 inch through with the wide side against the bark, at least you could say you were trying

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Thank god for crown land!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Is hammock camping more dangerous to the environment than tent camping? Could this be a real debate? I would almost think rangers and state parks would prefer hammocks over tents due to the very nature(no pun intended...well maybe a little) of "leave no trace".

Hmmmm.....

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Any Ranger that has a clue about Physics will not buy the slip on strap. The issue is load bearing surface area. A slip on sleeve will not be load bearing for much more than the width of the inner strap.

A couple of 2 ft long slings with sewn loops would do it. Run reglar straps through the sling loops. Sounds like a cottage product for somebody in MO. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    W00T! (so far)2
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat type
    Insulation
    0* Crows nest UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/CRL
    Just go to your local fire station and see if they would give you a short piece of 1 1/2" fire hose. Run your webbing through it and tie off.
    ------
    Matt

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by IADC43 View Post
    Just go to your local fire station and see if they would give you a short piece of 1 1/2" fire hose. Run your webbing through it and tie off.
    THE fire hose was my first thought, however it is heavy and would be a pain to cut. Then I am thinking the straps truck drivers use. I am going to go have a look around one of the big truck stops see what I find around the garbage bins. Those straps wear through fairly quick, one hole and the whole strap goes in the garbage. Plus they would be lighter than a water hose. I have some I think it is 2inch hose for my water truck, and it is a pain to try to cut. I tried to patch the hose one time and it was not efficient. I think truck straps would work better for me. I will see what I can find discarded.

Thank you for the heads up notice. I know we were on BLM land and I had some discussion with the person incharge. Not the nicest discussion. He was not happy about the hammocks, the Service Dog or anything else. I found him rather creepy. BLM here in Oregon, hires agents from the general public, to oversee some of their camp grounds. This is the second person that I did not trust at all. We are not going to use the supervised BLM camp grounds in the future. It is my daughter and myself, women, in MHO need to be very careful where we camp, who we talk to. Sometimes bad things happen. This last fellow had the markings that he was in prision at one time, a tattoo tear, I just did not trust him in the slightest. We have gone back to being invisible when camping.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    this might be an optionhttp://www.strapworks.com/Polypropyl...bbing_s/59.htm

Strapworks' Heavyweight polypropylene is our most popular webbing for outdoor use. It has excellent UV protection, low stretch, and does not absorb water quickly giving it a better resistance to mildew and rot. Heavyweight Polypropylene is commonly used for rafting straps, kayak straps, camping straps, hiking straps, bag straps, backpack straps, purses, etc.

3 Inch Heavyweight Polypropylene facts:
    •Thickness of 0.060 of an inch
    •Breaking strength of 2000 pounds
    •Melting point of 330 degrees fahrenheit
    •Available in black, red, and royal blue
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    HEY! How timely - I'm about to be "relocated" back to where my home is in MO - just outside of Kansas City. So for those of you in this general area (I'll be glad to be back!), call up B&J Canvas outside of Lone Jack Missouri. My friend, Brad, is the owner there and he is a WIZARD with all things material. Oh, and he's an avid outdoorsman and will probably enjoy the opportunity to help. 592 NW AA Hwy Kingsville, MO 64061
    (816) 254-6565

Tell him "Matt" sent you!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you are staying in a campground how about just using some old carpet around the tree under the straps? What about tarp cords? They are very thin and can slice if pulled hard on a soft tree.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by simply_light View Post
    Here's an option I found.

http://www.amazon.com/ProGrip-227400.../dp/B006JY97I2

Also, you could buy about 6 foot of 3" webbing off a shipping supplier and cut that in 4 equal lengths and sew 2 pieces together along the edges giving you a tubular webbing that could slide over your regular 1" straps.

I couldn't find 3" tubular webbing by itself, or that would be an easier option.
    Those things would hold an elephant. 27,000 lbs. Break Strength. I guess I will be able to add that extra under quilt now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast