Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Zactly
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    Honestly I think this is getting a bit rediculous.
    I have no problem bringing/using straps as a sign of good will...

But ever seen a climber hunting stand? Ever seen hunting accesories that SCREW into to the tree? The climbers lever into the tree with more force then we ever will, and with spikes to hold. And the trees are fine.
    Trees are **** tough, and while I don't mind going out of my way to be better to them then the next guy lets be realistic and admit thay a few softer verieties aside, the average tree will have no problems with you hanging directly from a rope.
    Just an observation, my son hunted on leased land for several years and had a favorite pine tree to use a climbing stand on. Third year and it was dead. Sap lines all up and down the tree. Not much doubt that he killed it. Bagged several nice bucks from it though.

From the sound of things, the width of strap rule arose as part of compromise on the topic of hammocks or no hammocks. This makes it come back to hammock hangers to do all they can to demonstrate a willingness to do no damage. If the majority do this, then if a "no hammocks" mind set does exist, those holding it will run out of credibility if they cannot show damage being done. Educating non hammockers is our best line of defense.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This is an interesting thread. I was just investigating doing some camping at Prince William Forest in VA (http://www.nps.gov/prwi) since it is about 10 minutes from me and discovered that they have a prohibition on hammocks. I emailed the park super and got a prompt reply back that they were actually discussing a rule change today re: hammocks. Fingers crossed! This is a beautiful national park right outside of DC with some fantastic trails and actual back country camping opportunities.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I was just investigating doing some camping at Prince William Forest in VA (http://www.nps.gov/prwi) since it is about 10 minutes from me and discovered that they have a prohibition on hammocks. I emailed the park super and got a prompt reply back that they were actually discussing a rule change today re: hammocks. Fingers crossed! This is a beautiful national park right outside of DC with some fantastic trails and actual back country camping opportunities.
    Offer them a demonstration to show how PROPER use of a hammock is very LNT compatible? A lot of times showing a bit of good will like that can work out good for everyone.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    That is interesting. I have hung in a few parks without issues, although I never saw a ranger. I know in my county, St Charles, they will boot you out. No hanging anything from a tree, including food bags. Hang nothing. At least that is what the large bald burly man with the badge and gun told me
    State Parks and County Parks are completely different animals with many differing regulations. For instance, I know there is zero tolerance for alcohol of any kind in St Louis County Parks, but State Parks allow beer.

Has anyone checked with the MO Conservation Department to see what their policy is on hammock camping?
    George S. Patton

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I think that the carpet is a good start. I am also looking for a better solution as far as wear on trees. 2 inch tubular is what I am gonna try first. (more later)

While there are no rules for hammocks in Alabama state parks as far as I aware, I have worked with DeSoto State Park to educate them on the subject. This led to converting a couple rangers to hammocks, and I even made a tablecloth hammock for the superintendent to use last month. (he is not converted YET, but he digs the hammock. This has also led to me teaching a backcountry hammock making class/backpacking class this Spring AND....I am also teaching a hammock camping class as early as this fall in the park. It is always worth a shot to try to educate folks. All they can say is no.

I have even got support from a few vendors with discounts and donations! The hammock community is just plain awesome.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    The MO Conservation Dept has absolutely no problems with hammocks being used, as long as camping is permitted. They also have no regulations regarding suspension straps.

George S. Patton

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I was just in Ozark State Park 2 weeks ago and there were 2 sets of hammocks using one of the campsites - Hennessy Hammocks with standard 1" straps and no one said anything all weekend- I doubt many rangers or conservation officers will be enforcing this particular rule in Missouri
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234